The Border

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Almost being the key word.

Right?

”oh guess I better vote for the anti-democracy fascists or sit home, which is a de facto vote for the the GOP”

YOU WONT LIKE EVERYTHING BIDEN DOES. I don’t either but this is, again, NOT the election to throw a hissy fit 

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Right?

”oh guess I better vote for the anti-democracy fascists or sit home, which is a de facto vote for the the GOP”

YOU WONT LIKE EVERYTHING BIDEN DOES. I don’t either but this is, again, NOT the election to throw a hissy fit 

I did say almost.  And god fucking dammit, this isn't just "some thing he did that I won't like".  This is fucking abominable.  This is trump level shit.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hmm.

On a conference call they pushed for on short notice, the two Democratic leaders and aides laid out concerns about Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott ramping up the number of buses bringing migrants to the city, arguing that it could double the number of migrants there – currently more than 17,000 – just as temperatures begin to drop in a city famous for its harsh winters.

Seems like perhaps Abbott should not be a fucking evil douchebag.  If he would actually, I don't know, work with these cities to help with migrants, maybe we could get something accomplished.  Martha's fucking Vineyard seems to have figured it out.  

Color me fucking surprised that the Dems are too fucking cowardly to call out Rs for their fucking bullshit yet again.  

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

These just show that some democrats wanted him to do something about immigration, not build a wall.

You know there are other options to address immigration than building a physical wall, correct?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If this is true, then those democrats are fucking stupid and fuck them too.

At least two border Dem reps aren't happy to see it: Escobar (El Paso) and Cuellar (Laredo).

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/10/05/biden-border-wall-texas-starr-county/

U.S. Rep. Veronica Escobar, D-El Paso, urged the White House to reconsider its decision to proceed with the wall, “especially the disastrous choice to waive environmental laws.” U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Laredo, meanwhile, called a border wall “a 14th century solution to a 21st century problem.”

“I continue to stand against the wasteful spending of taxpayer dollars on an ineffective border wall, and I will continue to push for solutions that our men and women on the front line actually need, such as more border technology and personnel at ports of entry and in between ports,” he said.

Unfortunately, I've never seen South Texas polling among the general public about the border wall, though. I used to think it was unpopular down there (it may still be), but after the results of the 2020 election, I'm no longer so sure. This could be part of some calculus to firm up support from the Valley, where support for Trump rose sharply from 2016 to 2020, in spite (or maybe because) of him being a xenophobic racist (pulling up the ladder phenomenon).

You'll note that Starr swung the most in the lower Valley.

image.thumb.png.d93ddd5fca987ddd7f02e173109d1205.png

image.png.cee7818568599d1889c2d1d598a5ea38.png

https://archive.ph/LuE6V (pulled from NYTimes)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This could be part of some calculus to firm up support from the Valley, where support for Trump rose sharply from 2016 to 2020, in spite (or maybe because) of him being a xenophobic racist (pulling up the ladder phenomenon).

I figured this could be part of the calculus, but not worth it, in my opinion.  It's highly unlikely Texas is going to turn blue this cycle and this is something that basically cannot be undone.  This is a permanent structure that will inflict permanent damage.  

Not to mention the optics of him not only turning his back on his promise, but actually embracing a trumpian tactic.  It's fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

At least two border Dem reps aren't happy to see it: Escobar (El Paso) and Cuellar (Laredo).

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/10/05/biden-border-wall-texas-starr-county/

Unfortunately, I've never seen South Texas polling among the general public about the border wall, though. I used to think it was unpopular down there (it may still be), but after the results of the 2020 election, I'm no longer so sure. This could be part of some calculus to firm up support from the Valley, where support for Trump rose sharply from 2016 to 2020, in spite (or maybe because) of him being a xenophobic racist (pulling up the ladder phenomenon).

You'll note that Starr swung the most in the lower Valley.

image.thumb.png.d93ddd5fca987ddd7f02e173109d1205.png

image.png.cee7818568599d1889c2d1d598a5ea38.png

https://archive.ph/LuE6V (pulled from NYTimes)

I don’t give a fuck what that DINO Cuellar has to say. Fuck him.

It looks like Biden is taking a page out of the Abbott/Phelan playbook and giving border Dems what they want to secure votes from the reps and their constituents. 

Phelan has made so many deals with TX border Dems to get what he wants. 5/6 Border Dems in the Texas House are the most conservative Democratic members. They voted for the Paxton impeachment. Even though it didn’t end the way it should have, it showed that a few key Dems can swing things one way or another.

In 2021 almost all the TX Dems (except for 5) left the state because of a Republican elections bill. 3/5 of these Dems who did not leave are from the RGV. This is power. They have been making deals with the Reps because they know their votes are needed to get shit passed.

It looks like Biden is tapping into this on the Congressional side to prevent the Dems from losing more ground in places like the RGV. It only took 8 years for Biden to realize that Hispanics, notably those on the border, vote for Trump too.

Biden is throwing in the towel and saying fuck it, I’m gonna build the wall so everyone against me can’t bitch about the lack of wall during the immigration debates. Interesting strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I don’t give a fuck what that DINO Cuellar has to say. Fuck him.

It looks like Biden is taking a page out of the Abbott/Phelan playbook and giving border Dems what they want to secure votes from the reps and their constituents. 

Phelan has made so many deals with TX border Dems to get what he wants. 5/6 Border Dems in the Texas House are the most conservative Democratic members. They voted for the Paxton impeachment. Even though it didn’t end the way it should have, it showed that a few key Dems can swing things one way or another.

In 2021 almost all the TX Dems (except for 5) left the state because of a Republican elections bill. 3/5 of these Dems who did not leave are from the RGV. This is power. They have been making deals with the Reps because they know their votes are needed to get shit passed.

It looks like Biden is tapping into this on the Congressional side to prevent the Dems from losing more ground in places like the RGV. It only took 8 years for Biden to realize that Hispanics, notably those on the border, vote for Trump too.

Biden is throwing in the towel and saying fuck it, I’m gonna build the wall so everyone against me can’t bitch about the lack of wall during the immigration debates. Interesting strategy. 

Pos rep for thinking the same. I don't agree with it on moral/ethical grounds, but I agree that seems to be the rationale.

• Hook 'Em 1

Reading an article about this, the government is mandated to have to spend this money and they are simply complying to what was inherited from a previous administration. Biden doesn't want to do this and doesn't think it will work.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2023/10/05/biden-expedites-20-miles-of-new-border-wall-in-south-texas-but-doesnt-think-it-will-work/

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden reiterated Thursday that he doesn’t believe border walls work, even as his homeland security chief cited an “acute and immediate need” to speed construction of another 20 miles of barrier in South Texas.

The move to resume a project Biden halted the day he took office set off a furor among Democrats and environmentalists, and bought no goodwill from Republicans who blame him for record levels of illegal border crossings.

The White House struggled to square Biden’s stance that walls don’t work — and campaign promise to not build a single foot more — with the decision to waive 26 federal laws that could have delayed construction for months or years.

“He does not think this is effective,” press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said. But she added, citing a 2019 funding outlay from Congress dedicated to wall construction, “This is something that we were required [to do] by law and we are complying.”

The 2019 appropriation didn’t come with a mandate to waive the Clean Air, Safe Drinking Water, and Endangered Species acts, though, or other laws intended to protect migratory birds, farmland and wildlife habitat.

Nor did Congress specify that the next 20 miles should go in sparsely populated Starr County, downriver from Lake Falcon, county seat Rio Grande City.

On June 30, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, announced that $190 million remains unspent from $1.375 billion set aside in 2019 “for the construction of primary pedestrian fencing, including levee pedestrian fencing, in the Rio Grande Valley.”

“The money was appropriated for the border wall. I tried to get [Congress] to … redirect that money. They didn’t. They wouldn’t,” Biden told reporters Thursday in the Oval Office. “They have to use the money for what it was appropriated. I can’t stop that.”

Asked if he believes the border wall works, he answered with a terse: “No.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That sounds a tad unconstitutional.

Hasn’t stopped him before….

He’s a malignant bully.

Until someone / something stands up to him, he will continue to punch down. He derives his pleasure and power by preying on those weaker and who cannot defend themselves. 

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

“The money was appropriated for the border wall. I tried to get [Congress] to … redirect that money. They didn’t. They wouldn’t,” Biden told reporters Thursday in the Oval Office. “They have to use the money for what it was appropriated. I can’t stop that.”

Because he’s not a fucking King. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Hasn’t stopped him before….

He’s a malignant bully.

Until someone / something stands up to him, he will continue to punch down. He derives his pleasure and power by preying on those weaker and who cannot defend themselves. 

Are you talking about Biden? Being a malignant bully? Is my meter broken?

Nevermind, you were talking about Abbott. Yes

Edited by BeardIP

10 hours ago, MrBig said:

It’s out of the GOP playbook. He can take credit for it despite not liking it, bc he was legally required to do it. Just like how the GOP touts the benefits of bills they voted again 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s out of the GOP playbook. He can take credit for it despite not liking it, bc he was legally required to do it. Just like how the GOP touts the benefits of bills they voted again 

That's the play. Not trying to take credit for it or use it to prove "how serious he is about the border"--that ship has likely sailed among anyone with a right lean--but to remind people that he is obligated to follow the rule of law, the Constitution, and the separation of power, unlike someone else who is seeking the Office.

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's the play. Not trying to take credit for it or use it to prove "how serious he is about the border"--that ship has likely sailed among anyone with a right lean--but to remind people that he is obligated to follow the rule of law, the Constitution, and the separation of power, unlike someone else who is seeking the Office.

The play is a good and effective one I agree. The only downside of this play is that he is on record as saying he wouldn't go along with this as a campaign promise, which can be used against him carte blanche for "other" campaign promise scare tactics. 

You can tell the play is working because R's are already trying to undermine it, from the link above R's are trying to downplay the wall that THEY want:

“Under 20 miles of wall is basically nothing,” Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Humble, told Fox Business News. “I’m not going to give Biden a lot of credit here. I think they’re desperate for some media attention that would indicate that they’re trying to do something about the border.”

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Probably the GOP in secret, because they need to keep it a crisis.

I think we have a winner:

https://americasvoice.org/blog/false-gop-messages-about-open-borders-continue-to-lure-desperate-migrants-aid-criminal-smugglers-and-cartels/

It’s more than clear that the only people who keep pushing these “open borders” lies are Republicans and their political allies including right-wing media. So it shouldn’t come as any surprise that this right-wing disinformation has continued to fuel some arrivals at the southern border, by manipulating already-desperate people who are facing violence, government persecution, and extreme poverty in their home countries with luring and false messages about an “open border.” 

Alfredo Corchado, a border correspondent with The Dallas Morning Newsthis week shared a short interview with a Venezuelan migrant “lured by false social media posts,” notably from racist conservative outlet Breitbart. In the clip, the migrant says he fled because of conditions in his country, noting that citizens there are persecuted, are unable to buy food, and can’t even get medical attention unless they have a connection. “You could die from a disease because they uh won’t treat you,” he said in the Spanish-language clip. 

When asked what prompted him to try to make an asylum claim, the man said it was because of information he saw on social media. “The news came from Breitbart?” Corchado asked. “Yes, correct,” the man replied. He added that because he’s not from here, he’s not sure if the source is reliable or not. It’s Breitbart — of course it’s not. 

We also know that this is in no way an isolated incident. “I met with migrants in Costa Rica that were turned back, and their sense was that they will be able to enter freely,” New York Representative Adriano Espaillat told Caleb Ecarma from Vanity Fair last month, “arguing that the ‘confusion’ stems squarely from right-wing disinformation.” In fact, when Republicans push “open borders” disinformation, they’re abetting criminal human smugglers who target vulnerable people desperate for a way, any way, into the U.S. 

“Smugglers are constantly peddling that type of misinformation because they’re looking to feed their bottom line,” Hope Border Institute executive director Dylan Corbett told Vanity Fair. He noted “that traffickers falsely advertise ‘open’ crossings to migrants desperate for a way into the US,” the report continued. Smuggling attempts can end in tragedy. 53 migrants lost their lives following one attempt last year, when migrants suffocated to death inside a sweltering hot tractor-trailer outside San Antonio.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I'd love to see the compilation of videos from Jan 2021 to mid year 2021 of Texas Congressmen and other out of state reps who went on Fox News and exacerbated the open border issue that Texas Republicans cultivated for 30 years. And then show me the Democrats who did the same.

Only one party goes on TV and actively markets and advertises open borders in the south.

Just got included in my first political poll ever via text message.  About 20 questions and some of them were CLEARLY written by right wing nut jobs.  Most were fairly benign, but one asked about my opinion on the border and whether or not I believed China and terrorists were running rampant across the border and bringing in fentanyl and child sex traffickers.  Another asked if I considered myself to be "woke".  

I hate that supposed "middle of the road" media has been coopted by right wing bullshit talking points.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just got included in my first political poll ever via text message.  About 20 questions and some of them were CLEARLY written by right wing nut jobs.  Most were fairly benign, but one asked about my opinion on the border and whether or not I believed China and terrorists were running rampant across the border and bringing in fentanyl and child sex traffickers.  Another asked if I considered myself to be "woke".  

I hate that supposed "middle of the road" media has been coopted by right wing bullshit talking points.

Now you see why all the polls showed s red wave. Extremely partisan right wing outlets have the money to flood the market doing shit like this 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/28/2023 at 6:33 PM, Biff Tannen said:

It's almost as if the republicans are the worst of us.  The worst.  The absolute bottom of the barrel scum.  

Meanwhile, Fatty laughs at this.  I don't understand why he revels in being a terrible human being.  It's not exaggeration dude.  You are an objectively awful person, if your internet persona is how you actually are in real life.  It's not something to be proud of.  It's really rather sad.

I’m ready to drop all the people who use “the border” as some kind of hot potato in Mexico without passports and see how many could get back (I would also bet that most of these cocksuckers don’t have passports and have never left the bumfuck town they are in).

I bet the ratio is like 9999/10000 of these idiots would be stuck on the south side bitching how mean America is.

It’s fucking hard to cross the border illegally. They aren’t just waving people through.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1