I might only castrate Mr. McManus' nephew, David.

Augustus

Old MacDonald had a farm, ee yi ee yi oh.

And on that farm he....shot some guys.

34 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Flip ya. Flip ya forreal. 

I don't know how/why he came up with that bizarre accent and speech pattern but it was pretty cool.

my hot take:  launched a weird ass pederasts career on an overrated performance.  didn't really think he was great in it.  viz: the part where he breaks down and sobs over keaton taking advantage of him is cringe worthy.

counter: he was an actor acting like he was bad at being convincing, so it was actually a good performance?

I still love the fact that even after all these viewings, I still don't remember that if you pay attention to Gustavo Fring's lack of dialogue/action, not what he actually says/does...it gives the ending away way, way in advance.  Almost embarassingly so...

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I still love the fact that even after all these viewings, I still don't remember that if you pay attention to Gustavo Fring's lack of dialogue/action, not what he actually says/does...it gives the ending away way, way in advance.  Almost embarassingly so...

explain how so i don't have to go on a google hunt

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

explain how so i don't have to go on a google hunt

I am a sucker for plot twists, never see em coming.  But this one, it's just timeline.  Watch when Giancarlo starts his interrogation of the patient, it's one of the few times the film jumps between that scene and Spacey in the police station.  They don't even try to play with the timeline at that point.  I mean, there's shenanigans but it's the corkboard, not the timeline.  There's three scenes with that Hungarian patient and each time, they don't fuck with the chronography.  The suspicious lack of communication between the Giancarlo police crew at the hospital and the police station downtown...it was a big red flag.  It was a cool detail.  Or lack of a detail.  

Anyway, what a great fucking movie.  Kevin Pollack, if you really appreciate subtlety by way of going in a scene (opposite of the typical acting method), he was actually the best actor in that film.  And that's fucking saying something.  I wonder how it'll hold up when I'm much, much older.  It's already pushing 30 and is still fucking aces.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

I don't know how/why he came up with that bizarre accent and speech pattern but it was pretty cool.

Supposedly, del Toro read the script and saw that he died first and had virtually zero impact on the plot, so he decided to have an outrageous accent so that he stood out in some way. In retrospect, he’s definitely right in that it’s the definition of a nothing part if played totally straight. 

Edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I am a sucker for plot twists, never see em coming.  But this one, it's just timeline.  Watch when Giancarlo starts his interrogation of the patient, it's one of the few times the film jumps between that scene and Spacey in the police station.  They don't even try to play with the timeline at that point.  I mean, there's shenanigans but it's the corkboard, not the timeline.  There's three scenes with that Hungarian patient and each time, they don't fuck with the chronography.  The suspicious lack of communication between the Giancarlo police crew at the hospital and the police station downtown...it was a big red flag.  It was a cool detail.  Or lack of a detail.  

Anyway, what a great fucking movie.  Kevin Pollack, if you really appreciate subtlety by way of going in a scene (opposite of the typical acting method), he was actually the best actor in that film.  And that's fucking saying something.  I wonder how it'll hold up when I'm much, much older.  It's already pushing 30 and is still fucking aces.

Critics just prison raped this movie, but on the first watch I was riveted throughout the entire deal, and I've enjoyed every single rewatch since.

Your point is a fascinating one.  I'll pay attention to that when I watch it next time.

You have to watch it through the lens of a detective.  which I am not.  But there's a really subtle reveal in what Esposito doesn't do, as opposed to what happens on camera.  It's nothing like the end reveal, but he handled his scenes really well.  Anyway, it's been 25+ years, who gives a shit...not like we're breaking down a Kubrick film or M. Night. 

Just oneo f those pics you wanna go back and watch for the first time.  not many of those left

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Augustus said:

Critics just prison raped this movie, but on the first watch I was riveted throughout the entire deal, and I've enjoyed every single rewatch since.

Your point is a fascinating one.  I'll pay attention to that when I watch it next time.

No they didn't. But good on you for ignoring all those bad reviews and watching it anyway.

https://ew.com/article/2015/08/16/usual-suspects-20th-anniversary-reviews/

The Usual Suspects - Rotten Tomatoes

22 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

No they didn't. But good on you for ignoring all those bad reviews and watching it anyway.

https://ew.com/article/2015/08/16/usual-suspects-20th-anniversary-reviews/

The Usual Suspects - Rotten Tomatoes

Holy cow, what was I thinking of?  Did Ebert give it a bad review, maybe?

I must be confusing it with another big film I enjoyed but the critics hated.  

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

EDIT:  Yeah, it was Ebert.  He gave it 1.5 stars.  I must've projected that onto all the critics.

Generally speaking, a movie that wins best screenplay will get good reviews.  

Let me know if you need me to blow your mind on anything else...

(also top 5 all time movie for me)

• Haha 1

Just now, rage-a-holic said:

Yeah, he didn't like it, but he was hard to rely on. H e panned a lot of good movies and loved some real shit.

The biggest disagreement I had with him was about A Few Good Men.  He was completely unimpressed that the marines were acquitted of murder because of Jessup's confession on the stand, because apparently that was the only thing that could get them off, so we knew it had to happen, therefore there was no surprise, it was completely telegraphed, whatever.

It's like he missed the entire point.  It wasn't that he'd confess.  It was HOW in the hell Caffey would get him to confess.  I like to think of myself as a reasonably decent critical thinker.  I took 12 hours of logic as an undergrad, the last 2 of those 4 classes were as challenging as any calculus course I ever took, but like most of the audience, I whiffed on the contradiction inherent in his testimony.  And it was very satisfying when Caffey threw that in his face while he was on the stand.  It was a mic-drop moment.

Ebert wasn't impressed, however.  But Usual Suspects and A Few Good Men are the only reviews of his I can recall that I didn't agree with, for the most part.

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I love this movie, but if you think about the end reveal, the vast majority of the stuff that Verbal made up had nothing to do with the actual story he was telling the cop.  Barber shop quartet in Skokie, orca fat, picking beans in Guatemala...they were just side anecdotes.

He knew how much time he had to buy

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Holy cow, what was I thinking of?  Did Ebert give it a bad review, maybe?

I must be confusing it with another big film I enjoyed but the critics hated.  

Possibly Fight Club. Came out a few years later and was widely panned by critics for being an aggressive, boys club type of movie. Both had crazy reveals toward the end of the movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, strangulation! said:

He knew how much time he had to buy

I mean, if Kobayashi just sped up the Jaguar...Verbal wouldn't have gotten to have as much fun toying with law enforcement.  I mean seriously...who drives that slow? 

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I love this movie, but if you think about the end reveal, the vast majority of the stuff that Verbal made up had nothing to do with the actual story he was telling the cop.  Barber shop quartet in Skokie, orca fat, picking beans in Guatemala...they were just side anecdotes.

True.  But given that everything we saw was Verbal's story, we don't have any idea how much of that really happened, if any of it. 

Not the majority, but a plurality of what we see unfold with the five and their shenanigans didn’t happen.  It was verbal’s narrative.  The important shit did like deaths, murders, robbery, etc.  but a huge chunk was his color commentary.  It’s what makes esposito’s role that much more interesting.