Concerts you are attending

bamachine

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'd be much more worried that 3rd Eye Blind might actually play than I would be about it being hot.

Rumor is they are doing the White Album front to back so it will be worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've seen several concerts in the summer out at germania without a problem.  Sun is down and there is usually a breeze out there.

Willie’s picnic in 2015, standing on the concrete in the pit for the afternoon trifecta of Stapleton > Sturgill > Isbell might have been the closest I’ve ever been to heat stroke in my life. 

Nude Party last night. Best I’ve heard them since Antone’s 5 or 6 years ago. Should be a good record. 
IMG_2982.thumb.jpeg.ca3882d24ecffa0277c0824544f3a76f.jpeg

Next is PJ on Monday, Decemberists on Wednesday and Neil on the 26th. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

White Buffalo last night in the colony. Dozens of people were there. Unfortunate because they consistently put on a great show.

I have tix to see them again Fri night in Ft Worth.

Tonight it’s Gary Clark Jr at majestic

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I have 4 tickets for Waxahatchee at ACL Live on Saturday I may not be able to use.  🫤 If anyone's interested let me know. 

Edited by Damor
muledick

Echo & the Bunnymen were a fun time at HOB Dallas last night. Second show of the tour so Ian's voice was probably as good as could be expected. Love Will's guitar work.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Echo & the Bunnymen were a fun time at HOB Dallas last night. Second show of the tour so Ian's voice was probably as good as could be expected. Love Will's guitar work.

Glad you enjoyed it - was Ian in a good mood?  Also, who was the opener?

20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Glad you enjoyed it - was Ian in a good mood?  Also, who was the opener?

Yeah, he seemed fine. His in-between-song banter is absolutely unintelligible. It's like a mashup of Liverpudlian and Scottish. I don't remember that from the previous couple of times I saw them many, many moons ago. Have no clue on the opener as we missed that.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, he seemed fine. His in-between-song banter is absolutely unintelligible. It's like a mashup of Liverpudlian and Scottish. I don't remember that from the previous couple of times I saw them many, many moons ago. Have no clue on the opener as we missed that.

Yeah, I watched the first set in the middle and I couldn't understand anything.  Somehow moving to the side during the second set made it slightly more understandable.  

18 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

Saw Waxahatchee last night at Tannehills in FW.  Solid show, great voice and love the steel guitar play….

We were there as well, and frankly musicianship-wise, that was one of the better shows I've seen in years. I like their music, not omg love it, but I was legitimately blown away by Katie and yes, the steel guitar. They have a tight, tight sound in person. First time at Tannehills also and it is a cool little venue, would go back.

And I know the whole area is touristy crap, but even my Ribeye at Cattleman's beforehand was pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, Damor said:

I have 4 tickets for Waxahatchee at ACL Live on Saturday I may not be able to use.  🫤 If anyone's interested let me know. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Never heard of Waxahatchee.  I was intrigued by the mention of steel guitar and listened to a few songs.  I'm going to see if there are any tickets left for tomorrow's Austin show.

Lol.  Back when Jim Eno (Spoon) was just starting out on drums, he invited me to see his cover band at Boomerz (~ 1992).  I can't believe that place is still there.  Rock on, young freyguy's son!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 9:16 AM, GenXer said:

Tonight it’s Gary Clark Jr at majestic

how was GCJr? seems like he probably puts on a great live show... we're seeing him at Red Rocks Monday!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

how was GCJr? seems like he probably puts on a great live show... we're seeing him at Red Rocks Monday!

It wasn’t the show I was expecting. He pulls from several genres. I was expecting heavier on blues but it leaned more to R&B-ish (I think as it’s not a genre that I’m into).

If you appreciate that sound, you’ll enjoy the show a lot. He and his band sound very tight. The light show was excellent as well. I’ve never been to red rocks but I suspect the light show will look damn good there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Waxahatchee put on a great show.  Thanks to @Damor for hooking us up with great, balcony front row tickets.

That lady has a great voice and loved the steel guitars and the banjo.  Neither took over a song, but just added wonderful balance.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw CSS in Denver last night. They are such a blast. Described by some as Brazil's B-52's, but they had a harder edge live. They are super endearing and hilarious. The singer (Lovefoxx) introduced a song called Fuck Everything saying it was about how much they love pizza. They also did a mashup of Sleater-Kinney and Jennifer Lopez. Good times. 

Saw CSS in Denver last night. They are such a blast. Described by some as Brazil's B-52's, but they had a harder edge live. They are super endearing and hilarious. The singer (Lovefoxx) introduced a song called Fuck Everything saying it was about how much they love pizza. They also did a mashup of Sleater-Kinney and Jennifer Lopez. Good times. 

We caught some of their set at Kilby Block Party this weekend. They were fun. Speaking of fun, LCD closed last night and they blew me away again. They’re simply incredible live.

687864bcac0661cb88749fc019d50e49.jpg

f6199689513ce363877b2b806809c65c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Outstanding

99% sure my wife will not be interested in attending.  I anticipate it to be an amusing train wreck.  It is very cringe-worthy on so many level which is why my teenager likes it.  I will look like the chaperone for the show, I'm sure.  Then again, I don't care.

image.png

• Like 1

FYI, for those of you seeing Phosphorescent tomorrow in Austin, Matthew is opening for himself. He’s playing 7-8 solo songs and then taking a break before coming back for the full set with the band. He started tonight at 8:20 or so and just finished the first set.

Go see Phosphorescent in Austin tomorrow. What a good show Matthew and the boys played tonight. His wife is not on keys for this tour it appears. Anyway, go check him out.

912f8f66bcd228d90c4d3b3500f839f5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a question about a show this fall at the Moody Amphitheater.  We bought GA tickets for Goth Babe in September.  Well, Moody is a pit with assigned seating and then lawn/premium lawn.  So is GA just general mayhem and "grab what you can" for the venue?  Just seems like an odd set-up.  I saw Sofi Tukker is doing the same thing for their show in September.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Third show... neg rep away.

Same. Seen him just the one time in Dallas last year and loved it. Looking forward to the September return to Dallas.

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Same. Seen him just the one time in Dallas last year and loved it. Looking forward to the September return to Dallas.

Saw him at ACL then Stubb's.  Just good vibes all around at his shows.  He's a great example, as stc will attest, of finding a new band (new to me) courtesy of ACL.  Dope Lemon, Genesis Owusu, Past Lives, etc were bands I got to enjoy for the first time at ACL.  

stc - wait 'til you find out I have been Oliver Tree twice.

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Saw him at ACL then Stubb's.  Just good vibes all around at his shows.  He's a great example, as stc will attest, of finding a new band (new to me) courtesy of ACL.  Dope Lemon, Genesis Owusu, Past Lives, etc were bands I got to enjoy for the first time at ACL.  

stc - wait 'til you find out I have been Oliver Tree twice.

stc's crusade against Goth Babe is weird. I had no idea Griff was that polarizing to anybody. I mean, it's not like we're talking about Phish or something. 😁

Posted (edited)

My run of seeing live music in six of the last eight days/nights ended last night in Fort Worth at the Phosphorescent show. Fuck, I'm tired -- and have a cold coming on, I think. During this run, I saw all or parts of:

• Echo & the Bunnymen
  • Alvvays
  • Yoke Lore
  • Courtney Barnett
  • Ty Segall
  • Vampire Weekend
  • Beach Fossils
  • Slow Pulp
  • Dinosaur Jr
  • Cautious Clay
  • Santigold
  • Postal Service & Death Cab
  • CSS
  • Yves Tumor
  • Kevin Kaarl
  • Ekkstacy
  • Dayglow (had no idea these guys are from FW)
  • Interpol
  • LCD Soundsystem
  • Ratboys
  • The Decemberists
  • Phosphorescent

19b3ce64-9408-4591-bb1e-03399f581618_tex

We've got a few weeks to regroup, then down to Austin for Rainbow Kitten Surprise on 5/25 and then Vampire Weekend in Las Colinas on 6/7.

Oh, there were two GA tickets to Real Estate for Sat night on our upstairs table at Tannehill's last night at the Phosphorescent show. (I don't think we'll go because my son is flying back from school that night.) Says subject to capacity but I'm assuming they haven't sold well and are trying to fill the place. Phosphorescent crowd was very light last night. We hadn't been to Tannehill's since the venue's second show (Spoon last year), which was a total shit-show. They weren't ready to open but seem to have fixed every problem it had that night. Nice venue in the FW Stockyards.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, C-Man said:

stc's crusade against Goth Babe is weird. I had no idea Griff was that polarizing to anybody. I mean, it's not like we're talking about Phish or something. 😁

Yeah, Griff seems to be a cool and genuine guy, lives his life surfing and living on a sailboat and advocates for mental health and some good causes.  Don't see the issue.  

29 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, Griff seems to be a cool and genuine guy, lives his life surfing and living on a sailboat and advocates for mental health and some good causes.  Don't see the issue.  

The problem for me at least is his music is just not that interesting 

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

29 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The problem for me at least is his music is just not that interesting 

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Its chill music... good for driving, hanging out, etc but we all have different tastes so that's cool.

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Picked up tickets to see Sisters of Mercy. Really excited for the opener, Blaqk Audio.

Thinking about this, too.  I've heard mixed reviews on the shows but I used to love the Sisters of Mercy.  

Thinking about this, too.  I've heard mixed reviews on the shows but I used to love the Sisters of Mercy.  

I really enjoyed the Sisters last year. It was my first time seeing them and enjoyed it. Yeah, Andrew uses backing tracks for his vocals but most bands do nowadays. That seems to be the biggest complaint about their live shows.

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I really enjoyed the Sisters last year. It was my first time seeing them and enjoyed it. Yeah, Andrew uses backing tracks for his vocals but most bands do nowadays. That seems to be the biggest complaint about their live shows.

Good to know you were there and saw it first hand.  Was there as much fog as I'd heard?