Concerts you are attending

bamachine

saw neil young and the horse in phoenix on saturday. it was incredible. setlist was phenomenal, played everything a little slower than the album versions but didn't lose any of the intensity. micah nelson did a pretty good job of harmonizing with neil, playing rhythm guitar and staying out of the way. got a few solo acoustic songs too. hey hey my my to close the set was as intense as one would hope...pulsing guitars, screaming feedback, motherfucking rock n roll. nils lofgren joined them for the danger bird encore. the number of extremely angry boomers was off the charts. heard some wonderful things such as "sit down or i hope you fucking die" "for $100 a ticket you better play the hits". i stood up for 3 out of the 14 songs and you would've thought i pissed on the flag or something.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

stones in Houston.  Mick was his usual self.  it really is amazing what the guy does at 80 even with the shortened setlists we get now.  I think he was also jazzed to have a song worthy of an encore that isn't  from the 60's.  the new backup singer did great.  Keith's Little T&A was somewhat of a highlight since he hasn't done it since 2016 and did a pretty good job of it.

having GCJ open was a nice bonus.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, Nuge said:

Damn!  Would love to see Soulhat again.  I practically lived at Black Cat when they were in residence there.  

I'm going to see Os Mutantes tonight at the Aladdin Theater in Portland, Or.

Really excited to see the opener Ghost Funk Orchestra, too.

Went down a bit of a soulhat rabbit earlier, and stumbled across this on their website: 

image.png.a60e1987b528592366781292a311bffc.png

I was halfway planning to fly out to San Diego that weekend to see Cracker with an old roommate who also digs that band,  but now I dont know. The show isnt listed on the Antones website, so who knows. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

May concert schedule 

the white buffalo - I have tickets next week for the shows in the colony and ft worth

gary clark jr - majestic theater in dallas next week

pearl jam - tues and thurs night after memorial day in seattle

Edited by GenXer

42 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I was halfway planning to fly out to San Diego that weekend to see Cracker

Man, I absolutely love Cracker.  I wasn't the biggest CBV fan, but when Johnny Hickman joined up with David Lowery, sparks flew.  I've seen them a few times and they always bring it.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I absolutely love Cracker.  I wasn't the biggest CBV fan, but when Johnny Hickman joined up with David Lowery, sparks flew.  I've seen them a few times and they always bring it.

I've actually never seen them live, but I noticed they are also playing a show in Gloucester MA in Aug, and thats usually the time of year I try to get out to the Boston area and hang out at my sister's place for a bit to escape the heat. If I bail on the SD show, I'll make sure to catch them in MA. 

Neil Young show at cota was canceled because of lightning. They let us sit there until 8:30 before they called it. Looks like dallas was preemptively canceled too. Said they're coming back in September.

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Blotto said:

Went down a bit of a soulhat rabbit earlier, and stumbled across this on their website: 

image.png.a60e1987b528592366781292a311bffc.png

I was halfway planning to fly out to San Diego that weekend to see Cracker with an old roommate who also digs that band,  but now I dont know. The show isnt listed on the Antones website, so who knows. 

I wish - I live in the Portland area (Vancouver, WA).  I'm also hosting a concert in my backyard that night.

Edited by Nuge

3 hours ago, stc said:

Neil Young show at cota was canceled because of lightning. They let us sit there until 8:30 before they called it. Looks like dallas was preemptively canceled too. Said they're coming back in September.

9/13 for here and 9/14 for Dallas

• Hook 'Em 1

Kessler was packed for Kurt Vile tonight. Good show. We got a fun cover of the Silver Jews’ “Dallas” during Kurt’s mid-set solo interlude. Love that song. First night of a busy live music run for my wife and I with Kilby Block Party in SLC next weekend. Trying to maybe work in Echo and the Bunnymen at HOB next Wed too.

a0e7437d734d3952b3d8692e4a76d451.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

This wasn’t a concert, but tonight at work we had a performer that was thoroughly enjoyable. Her name is Patricia Vonne and her Tejana/Rock style was really cool. She’s originally from San Antone and I talked to her for a bit afterwards. She lives in Austin now so I thought some of y’all might have heard her before. She gave me her CD that is coming out in September. Usually I try to avoid the shows we have because they are louder rock, but she was awesome and everyone had a good time in there tonight. 

Edited by UpperWestside

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

This wasn’t a concert, but tonight at work we had a performer that was thoroughly enjoyable. Her name is Patricia Vonne and her Tejana/Rock style was really cool. She’s originally from San Antone and I talked to her for a bit afterwards. She lives in Austin now so I thought some of y’all might have heard her before. She gave me her CD that is coming out in September. Usually I try to avoid the shows we have because they are louder rock, but she was awesome and everyone had a good time in there tonight. 

She's Robert Rodriguez' sister.  (From Dusk To Dawn, Spy Kids, Sin City, etc.)

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

She's Robert Rodriguez' sister.  (From Dusk To Dawn, Spy Kids, Sin City, etc.)

She had mentioned that tonight. Someone else I work with told us that as well before her first set started. She was very polite and nice. It’s be cool to have more performers like her come through.

Did not realize the last time he played with Crazy Horse in Dallas was 2003 at Smirnoff. Had a friend who worked for The Edge and got me VIP box seats just behind the mixing booth.

It was the Greendale tour. They played the Greendale album and followed with a full Crazy Horse set. It was fucking awesome. Lucinda Williams with her band opened and they were great too.
  • Like 1

Saw CVB open for The Smithereens at the Bronco Bowl in 1990. Last tour before they broke up I think. Great show! Would love to see Cracker.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did not realize the last time he played with Crazy Horse in Dallas was 2003 at Smirnoff. Had a friend who worked for The Edge and got me VIP box seats just behind the mixing booth.

It was the Greendale tour. They played the Greendale album and followed with a full Crazy Horse set. It was fucking awesome. Lucinda Williams with her band opened and they were great too.
I was there. Was my friend's 21st bday.
  • Like 1

The Nude Party in Martindale at 2pm yesterday. Weird seeing a band that can sell out an Austin venue playing to 75 people in essentially a backyard. At one point they covered London Homesick Blues and everyone in attendance was given a Lone Star. Played for about an hour and a half and sounded good. Better than the last time I saw them at Scoot Inn.
dd20f5e39dd44d2a261d86eb17afa1c8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

Went to the RR AMP yesterday for this line up…..

The Derailers

Patrice Pike

Monte Montgomery 

Kelly Willis

Del Castillo

Bob Schneider

Great venue.

Other than a light shower around 5 the weather was perfect.

Everyone was great and Del Castillo blew the doors off of that place.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/5/2024 at 12:39 PM, Steamboat1874 said:

Went to the RR AMP yesterday for this line up…..

The Derailers

Patrice Pike

Monte Montgomery 

Kelly Willis

Del Castillo

Bob Schneider

Great venue.

Other than a light shower around 5 the weather was perfect.

Everyone was great and Del Castillo blew the doors off of that place.

That was on my radar, but so was a high likelihood of storms.  Decided not to go.  Sounds like it turned out well.

Upcoming concerts:

BottleRock, May 24-26 (Friday: Chevy Metal, Stevie Nicks; Saturday: Cold War Kids, My Morning Jacket, Mana, Pearl Jam; Sunday: Action Bronson, Norah Jones, The Offspring, The Soul Rebels featuring Talib Kweli, Queens of the Stone Age)

Rolling Stones, July 17

The Struts, August 28

Need to fill in some gaps this summer. 

Just saw that The Stews announced their fall tour. Hitting Austin on Wed, Sept 11 and Dallas on Fri, Sept 13

I picked up tix for the dallas show at granada.

I saw these guys in Feb last year. They bring it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Johnny Marr and James co-headline tour announced.

9/29 in Austin (Stubb’s)
9/30 in Dallas (Majestic Theater)
10/1 in Houston (Bayou Music Center)

Fucking In. I love James.

Echo & The Bunnymen last night at Stubb's.  Great show.  Ian had quite a bit of banter with the crowd, when you could understand it.  Seemed like he got pissed at the sound guys a few times.  Anyway, great show... good to catch them on the start of the tour when the voice and attitude is good to go.

image.thumb.png.58abadf0f3d4cb409bce25e8013d1a20.png

image.thumb.png.e40e06483cb073a950e4eeefe2c8089b.png

image.thumb.png.c43804f415abd2329953c968a68c7eef.png

• Like 1

pond last night at mohawk. really dislike sold out shows at mohawk but we were on the first balcony rail so it wasn't so bad. they were great, the lead singer has so much energy. played a pretty good mix of stuff from all their albums, crazy how much heavier the old stuff is. 

12 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Neil changed again to May 26th here and 27th in Dallas. Mmkay. 

wtf. have tickets for warpaint that night...guess i'm not seeing them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, stc said:

pond last night at mohawk. really dislike sold out shows at mohawk but we were on the first balcony rail so it wasn't so bad. they were great, the lead singer has so much energy. played a pretty good mix of stuff from all their albums, crazy how much heavier the old stuff is. 

wtf. have tickets for warpaint that night...guess i'm not seeing them. 

Walked past there last night... was wondering about the show.  So, to get to the top rail, how early do you have to get there?  Thinking of DJ Shadow in October.  Haven't been to Mohawk in a minute.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We usually camp out on the top balcony in front of the bar.  We've never had a problem getting a spot on the rail.  View and sound are fine.

Cool... I like the idea of the rail up there.  I normally like being in the depths of the crowd right up front but I'm not sure if my group will want to do that so the rail is the next best option.  DJ Shadow will be great!

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Walked past there last night... was wondering about the show.  So, to get to the top rail, how early do you have to get there?  Thinking of DJ Shadow in October.  Haven't been to Mohawk in a minute.

we got there 20 mins after doors and there was still plenty of room. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Got $25 tickets to The National w/ The War on Drugs and Lucius.  Also picked up two for Kings of Leon.  $25 all in is a great deal.

Seeing Brainstory tonight.

Gonna check on those Johnny Marr tickets

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/1/2024 at 3:40 PM, jimmyjazz said:

That surprises me.  Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart was on heavy rotation for me back in HS.  Wore that tape out.

Love Cracker too, but I loved CBV's unique blend of punk, ska, country, folk, etc...

Figured that would appeal to band people especially.

• Like 1

got Santana/Counting Crows 25.00. really can't beat it since I've never seen either.  Will probably be able to sit somewhere in the lower bowl.

also took a flier on 3rd eye blind even though it is germania in august.  If I really don't feel like going because it is 104 degrees i'm only out 50.00.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

also took a flier on 3rd eye blind even though it is germania in august.  If I really don't feel like going because it is 104 degrees i'm only out 50.00.

I've seen several concerts in the summer out at germania without a problem.  Sun is down and there is usually a breeze out there.

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

I've seen several concerts in the summer out at germania without a problem.  Sun is down and there is usually a breeze out there.

I have as well. it really depends on humidity.  the floor is a problem out there because the way it is built blocks the wind and you get kind of a sauna effect.  In hindsight they probably shouldn't have built it that way.  cheap trick, bad company, zz top was brutal about 5 years ago because show had to start early to get all 3 bands in.  glad I did it though, before the Little Ol' Band from Texas lost Dusty.  I thought Robin Zander was going to pass out.

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'd be much more worried that 3rd Eye Blind might actually play than I would be about it being hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4