2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

barring injuries i don't know that we have extra minutes for a PG that far down the bench.  with who we have now the PG duties fall to luka, kyrie, seth, hardy, lawson, wright, miles.  4 of those guys will play on any given night.  when luka and kyrie sit for load mgt purposes that frees up lots of minutes but that's once every two weeks, maybe twice every 3 weeks. 

Miles should make the team, in a vacuum, over Lawson and Wright. Seth doesn’t play PG. Hardy and Kyrie play more SG than PG. 

Dwight Powell is not an NBA player. Why do we keep pretending he is?

He's fine for what we paid him and 10 minutes a game. He's exactly the type of professional veteran presence you want for lively.

. Seth doesn’t play PG. Hardy and Kyrie play more SG than PG. 

Seth and Hardy are 2s but they will be asked to play point a little unless we find that elusive 3rd ball handler. The only time kyrie plays shooting guard is when it's Luka turn to play point. They have that weird relationship where they take turns. Hopefully they'll figure it out before Christmas.

With a lot of the wings coming off the board (thank God Houston took DIllon Brooks away from us) we're down to guys like Kelly Oubre, Lonnie Walker, Terrence Ross, and Torrey Craig. There are other guys like Jeff Green and Jalen McDaniels who are bigger and more likely to be suited for a switchable center role. 

Saw that they’re waiting on some things to play out with other teams for a wing player.
Fingers crossed.

It's an upgrade for sure. You're swapping 32 yr old Reggie bullock for 24 yr old grant Williams. Reggie was borderline bad last year. Couldn't play defense, shot under 30% from beyond the arc again for the first few months of the season. Reggie's contract had 1 more season at $10. Grant now has 4 seasons for $13? He's also taller and bigger than bullock and can guard those bigger players that Reggie could never guard even when he was playing well two years ago. We basically got a better Dorian Finney smith on defense with a guy who's shot >39% from 3 for 3 of his 4 years in the league.

• Hook 'Em 1

Williams is a nice pickup. Undersized, but he's a good two-way glue guy who has played in a lot of big games and hit big shots. I like the fit and the contract isn't horrible.

Dallas is definitely improved over last season with much better depth. That's a rather small team overall, though. Not sure what you're going to get from Lively as a rookie. Might need another big body. As always, the season hinges on Kyrie, but there are some nice mix and max pieces up and down the bench.

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Williams is a nice pickup. Undersized, but he's a good two-way glue guy who has played in a lot of big games and hit big shots. I like the fit and the contract isn't horrible.

Dallas is definitely improved over last season with much better depth. That's a rather small team overall, though. Not sure what you're going to get from Lively as a rookie. Might need another big body. As always, the season hinges on Kyrie, but there are some nice mix and max pieces up and down the bench.

I’ve come around on the Williams fit. His 3 pt % in Boston was good and he’s about to get even better looks. 

agreed that they’re improved, but they are still missing a big and a wing. I would be shocked if THJ begins the season on the roster. Still withholding judgment on the roster until the season starts. 

On 7/5/2023 at 10:48 PM, gsoda3 said:

It's an upgrade for sure. You're swapping 32 yr old Reggie bullock for 24 yr old grant Williams. Reggie was borderline bad last year. Couldn't play defense, shot under 30% from beyond the arc again for the first few months of the season. Reggie's contract had 1 more season at $10. Grant now has 4 seasons for $13? He's also taller and bigger than bullock and can guard those bigger players that Reggie could never guard even when he was playing well two years ago. We basically got a better Dorian Finney smith on defense with a guy who's shot >39% from 3 for 3 of his 4 years in the league.

Let's hope he learned his lesson. It's not singularly his fault the Celtics lost to the 8th seed Heat, but he did his best Dillon Brooks impression to poke and wake up a bear.

30 minutes ago, Longhornsnus said:

Apparently he's impressed bigly in Summer League games.

The thing about Summer League is you have to view it through a certain lens because there are things that translate, and things that don't. 

I only watched a few minutes of Lively, but I was definitely impressed by things that should translate. First, for a guy that big, he can really run the floor. There aren't a lot of seven footers who can get from end to end as quickly as he can. He also is really, really active and aggressive going to the glass. Playing with energy and hustle is a definite skill. He will probably get into a lot of foul trouble early until he has a better grasp of how the game is officiated, but I definitely liked what I saw.

He was hurt a lot at Duke so he was a bit of wildcard going into the draft.  I thought he had massive bust potential, but I didn't realize how mobile and active he was. The more open NBA game definitely suits his skillset. I still don't know about his shot, but if he can even be marginally effective in the midrange to where he's not an offensive liability, then the Mavs are really onto something. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The thing about Summer League is you have to view it through a certain lens because there are things that translate, and things that don't. 

I only watched a few minutes of Lively, but I was definitely impressed by things that should translate. First, for a guy that big, he can really run the floor. There aren't a lot of seven footers who can get from end to end as quickly as he can. He also is really, really active and aggressive going to the glass. Playing with energy and hustle is a definite skill. He will probably get into a lot of foul trouble early until he has a better grasp of how the game is officiated, but I definitely liked what I saw.

He was hurt a lot at Duke so he was a bit of wildcard going into the draft.  I thought he had massive bust potential, but I didn't realize how mobile and active he was. The more open NBA game definitely suits his skillset. I still don't know about his shot, but if he can even be marginally effective in the midrange to where he's not an offensive liability, then the Mavs are really onto something. 

Good input. Here is the article I read and was referencing: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10082550

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lighten up Francis. Couldn’t find the Mavs off-season thread unless it’s the Luka thread.

I see.  Shouldn't you be in the Astros thread antagonizing their fans, or have you given up on the Twins after one game?  Perhaps Timberwolves preseason glory is all you have to keep up your spirits right now.  

• 3 weeks later...