Movies that dramatically switch halfway through

zman13

Judd Apatow’s Funny People. Love the first half or so which, while narratively isn’t about Adam Sandler’s character dealing with and battling his diagnosis really focuses on the various stand up comedians in it and with all of the cameos. The latter half of the movie where he visits and pursues Leslie Mann’a character cormpletly shifts gears and feels like a different movie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Came her to say "Parasite."

Started thinking about it more, and I submit original "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

First part, sad Charlie and punk-ass Grandpa looking for tickets; following news.

image.thumb.png.083294028d6470efa9d5fe670f918218.png

Second part, drastic change from where Wonka trips at entrance gate and the whole thing turns looney and also Oomphas. 

image.thumb.png.87275bd2a2a27a68737f871908d23187.png

Then I guess there is the brief sequence at the end where Wonka acts all gangsta. image.thumb.png.f2bc799316dd50980fea79bfe0dcd1b5.png

Anyway, I hate that movie. Just seems to fit here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2024 at 2:38 AM, longhornmatt said:

Watched The Sound of Music for the first time in forever recently.  There are nods to the political situation throughout so I suppose it’s always there in the background, but there was still a pretty abrupt change from:

“Doe, a deer, a female deer … oh that Maria has made the children play clothes from the curtains! What will she think of next! … Ray, a golden drop of sun” 

to

“Ok, children, tonight we’re going to hide from the Nazis!  Yes, that’s right we will be going ‘Far, a long long way to run’ - very good, kids. But seriously though, they’re actual Nazis so stop singing and just STFU for a while so we don’t die.”

There was a great podcast I heard a few years ago about a girl who grew up only having the first of a two VHS set of the movie. 

She spent her entire life thinking the movie ended with the hot older child falling in love with the handsome Nazi kid and saying "Wheeeeeeee!".

Only when she was in college did she see the whole movie and she was all like "oh snap".

On 12/17/2022 at 9:01 AM, 52-80 said:

The 5th element seems like multiple movies spliced together in the vibe  

Ive seen it many times on broadcast TV - but never from start in full - and it always takes me a while to register “oh this is *that* movie”

You serious, Clark?

On 11/10/2022 at 4:30 PM, Nivek said:

Sorry to bother you.

Sunshine

Was going to suggest this.

Everyone shits on the last third of Sunshine saying it's goofy that Pinbacker becoming a slasher villain ruins the movie.  Except, Pinbacker's madness is at the core of what the entire film is about.  

The protagonists are on a quest to restart the Sun.  They are achieving this through human brilliance, courage, and ingenuity.  Except along the way they give in to human fallibilities, the most egregious being mysticism/despair.  

The one guy who never gives up and always keeps his mind on the goal is Capa.  He represents humans overcoming our problems through smarts, science, and caring for each other.  Pinbacker represents fanaticism and religion and all the silly nonsense that has held humanity back.  He rambles on about being the last man left alone with God.  How it's God's will for the human race to die.  And of course, the first god was always the Sun.  And of course, what do religious extremists always resort to?  Violence.  Pinbacker, who used to be a man of science himself, has given in to mysticism and despair.  He shows up all blurry and warped because it's the outward manifestation of his madness.  It's almost like he has been infected by the Sun (i.e. God).  

Anyway, I love that film.  Just think it's quite misunderstood.  

Watched The Sound of Music for the first time in forever recently.  There are nods to the political situation throughout so I suppose it’s always there in the background, but there was still a pretty abrupt change from:
“Doe, a deer, a female deer … oh that Maria has made the children play clothes from the curtains! What will she think of next! … Ray, a golden drop of sun” 
to
“Ok, children, tonight we’re going to hide from the Nazis!  Yes, that’s right we will be going ‘Far, a long long way to run’ - very good, kids. But seriously though, they’re actual Nazis so stop singing and just STFU for a while so we don’t die.”

I as a little kid when this came out and got dragged to it then had to watch it numerous times. It was always put on a pedestal of wholesomeness but…the father was schtupping the hired help. The escape from the Nazis was actually getting on a train for a scheduled tour in the U.S. thru Italy as Georg was an Italian citizen by way of him being Croatian in the defunct Austro-Hungarian empire. They had been married 11 years and the professional singing started as a need for income when the family fortune was wiped out in the great depression. Also they didn’t get shit from the huge revenue of the movie as Maria had signed the rights away to a German company years earlier.

They actually considered an opportunity from the Nazis for George to take a commission in the German navy, as well as getting state support for their music, and other perks. Their issues with the Nazis wasn’t political but religious; they had seen the growing persecution of the church in Germany.

12 hours ago, Hornstrader said:

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but Full Metal Jacket took a pretty dramatic turn mid movie

Yea but Kubrick was just plagiarizing Stripes.  Basic filled with humor and hijinks followed by gritty overseas action

image.png.91d68a7bda780cc4a3734bb19a86e070.png

11 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Anyway, I love that film.  Just think it's quite misunderstood.  

Also, great soundtrack.

Chris Evans’ performance is one of MY favorite performances in film history (I’m not holding it up there as a marvelous display of “ACTING!”, but he’s wonderful and it was unlike anything I’d seen from him previously).  

The other thing is that fucking cast, man, it’s just an all-star team of some of the best scene stealers from around the world.  I would have loved to watch Boyle and his casting director just mixing and matching those parts during the auditions with the casted actors.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I've got one that sort of fits the qualifications. I watched it again within the last couple of months so somewhat fresh in my memory.

Last Christmas (2019) with Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding, Emma Thompson...at first it seems like a holiday movie with a little romance, a little laughter and then you find out that

Spoiler

cute guy isn't alive, he died and his heart is in her chest due to a transplant.

I mean the movie manages to end on an upbeat tone, but instead of the Wham song, maybe they should've ended with Celine Dion? Which funny enough her song was the theme from Titanic which has been mentioned above...