USMNT 2023

ztejas

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It would never happen because we would never qualify for the World Cup again. That might be hyperbole, but we would have issues getting in on every cycle and that is not something we would want.

Does CONCACAF hold us back - it's nuanced. But they certainly do give us something.

And with a field of 48, the US would never again fail to qualify for the World Cup as a member of CONCACAF.

I'm guessing there'll be at least five guaranteed spots for CONCACAF members in the 2030 Cup. The worst the US has finished in the final round of qualifying since 1990 is fifth, and it took a perfect storm of stupidity for that to occur.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i mean...yeah. great question

There are explanations for playing Sean John over Slonina that I'd at least listen to. I mean it's fucking stupid, but it isn't material to the outcome of the game or how this team does in this tournament. Reps against St. Kitts and Nevis with the C team isn't going to do a lot for a guy that trains at Cobham, anyway.

Playing Señora over Mihailovic is one of the stupidest fucking things I've seen us do in awhile. I'm not sure who is rating this guy, what they are seeing in practice, or what the fuck they think he brings to the table but the shit-ass Gold Cup group stage looks like it's too big for him. Someone like that needs to only be a part of the team if they are looking for warm bodies stateside to put a camp together. He hadn't played a game in 2 months coming in. He played 300 minutes at the tail end of the Liga MX season for a shitty team and recorded 1 assist. Prior to that he was playing for a shitty Argentine team. 

He is tiny. He has zero presence on top of the ball or ability to win the ball back. He isn't pacey. He dribbles with his head down and waits too long to make decisions. 

Meanwhile we have a guy with his dick in his hands sitting on the bench against Jamaica who is fighting for and getting minutes for the 4th best team in the Eredivise that's worth €125M. Oh and he notched 2 goals and 2 assists last night in a game where Señora still needed 10 yards of space to string two dribbles together.

I mean at somepoint could we maybe get some fucking adults in the room? Christ. 

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

There are explanations for playing Sean John over Slonina that I'd at least listen to. I mean it's fucking stupid, but it isn't material to the outcome of the game or how this team does in this tournament. Reps against St. Kitts and Nevis with the C team isn't going to do a lot for a guy that trains at Cobham, anyway.

Playing Señora over Mihailovic is one of the stupidest fucking things I've seen us do in awhile. I'm not sure who is rating this guy, what they are seeing in practice, or what the fuck they think he brings to the table but the shit-ass Gold Cup group stage looks like it's too big for him. Someone like that needs to only be a part of the team if they are looking for warm bodies stateside to put a camp together. He hadn't played a game in 2 months coming in. He played 300 minutes at the tail end of the Liga MX season for a shitty team and recorded 1 assist. Prior to that he was playing for a shitty Argentine team

He is tiny. He has zero presence on top of the ball or ability to win the ball back. He isn't pacey. He dribbles with his head down and waits too long to make decisions. 

Meanwhile we have a guy with his dick in his hands sitting on the bench against Jamaica who is fighting for and getting minutes for the 4th best team in the Eredivise that's worth €125M. Oh and he notched 2 goals and 2 assists last night in a game where Señora still needed 10 yards of space to string two dribbles together.

I mean at somepoint could we maybe get some fucking adults in the room? Christ. 

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

1) His name is, and has always been, “Soñora”. 

You got the tilde ~ over the n, ñ, but his name is pronounced: [sewn-YORE-ah]

Not that the gringo announcers ever pronounce it that way. 

2) Soñora came up through the Boca Jrs youth system and then eventually played some for them. That is one of the two biggest, most prestigious youth Academies in the western hemisphere (River Plate of Argentina being the other… sorry Brazil) before making his move just a bit south, across the Riachuela, to Independiente (de Avellaneda).

3) Independiente (de Avellaneda) is one of the “Big 5” clubs of Argentine soccer.

From Wiki:

In international club football competitions, Independiente has won a total of 21 titles, with 18 of them organised by CONMEBOL and other associations. Independiente's achievements include a record of seven Copa Libertadores won, being the only club to win four finals in a row, between 1972 and 1975. The club has won the Copa Interamericana three times, the Supercopa Sudamericana twice, the Recopa Sudamericana once, the Intercontinental Cup twice (1973 and 1984), and the Copa Sudamericana twice, in 2010 and 2017. The 2018 Suruga Bank Championship was its most recent achievement.  

These achievements led the team to adopt the nickname of Rey de Copas (King of Cups) after they conquered its 12th international title, the first team in the world to do so, in reference to the Spanish playing cards' highest number. After winning the 1984 Intercontinental Cup against Liverpool F.C. in Japan, Independiente won the first confrontation involving Argentine and British teams after the Falklands War, a triumph that was celebrated by all Argentines and gave the team the motto of Orgullo Nacional (National Pride).

IN SUMMARY [TLDR]:

Soñora’s blood line, academy development, and Argentine resume looks excellent, which is in stark contrast to his play on the pitch. 

I never watched him play in Argentina, but he started at the #10 off-and-on for a couple of years at one of the biggest clubs in the country. That alone gives him a better resume than most players on the USMNT’s Gold Cup roster. That said, he plays like shit against CONCACAF competition. 

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) His name is, and has always been, “Soñora”. 

You got the tilde ~ over the n, ñ, but his name is pronounced: [sewn-YORE-ah]

I know how to spell it. I was taking the piss. 

Next you're going to tell me the r goes before the e in Gergg.

3) Independiente (de Avellaneda) is one of the “Big 5” clubs of Argentine soccer.

Didn't know that. Was just commenting on them finishing 14th last season. 

Soñora’s blood line, academy development, and Argentine resume looks excellent,

Yeah. Probably why he keeps getting chances. I will say he had nice touch on that one free kick last night. Just feel like he's 140 pounds of technique and drills and whiteboard and 0 pounds of instinct, heart, nastiness etc. 

I wish the guy well. He just isn't good enough to play for us. 

How the hell has no one posted this yet. How am I just now seeing it? What year is it?

Is This Real Life David After Dentist GIF

[Matteo Moretto] Christian Pulisic has agreed personal terms with AC Milan! Milan are now negotiating with Chelsea, but there is still distance in valuation

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

How the hell has no one posted this yet. How am I just now seeing it? What year is it?

[Matteo Moretto] Christian Pulisic has agreed personal terms with AC Milan! Milan are now negotiating with Chelsea, but there is still distance in valuation

Because of this:

34 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Matteo Moretto is an Italian journalist based in Milan

…yet he posts in Spanish?!?!

Splain-me why the fuck that is. 

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I think that what Jesús showed to the refined fan* in the match vs St. Kitt’s & Nevis is that he makes intelligent runs, he’s got quick feet, and he makes good decisions when he has a step of space.

What we saw against The Netherlands is that he is absolutely useless playing as a #9 against CBs with any size, speed, and/or quality. He looked like a lost child in the World Cup.

Against shit competition, he’s can be a productive #9. Against all others, he needs to be played in other positions if you want to get anything out of his time on the field. 

*”refined fan” would be defined as I, Surly’s “Napoleon”, and anyone who agrees with me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Sounds like Musah is official.

So far Pepi’s team relegated and moves to a Champions League team. Musah and Valencia have a poor season and moves to a Champions lEague team. Pulisic and Chelsea, looks to be moving to a Champions League team. Weah and Lille, and moves to a Champions League team.

I like this pattern!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

"People are acting like he'll still be 22. He'll be 28 in 2026."

here's a lineup of current 28 year olds:

IMG_5926.png.aac664b053fa10703b03da7634129c39.png

here's a team of 29 year olds:

IMG_5927.png.a20a5d5f8af0d6886f6d810eaa75f7f6.png

man, what a bunch of over-the-hill geezers. can we create a senior tour for jack graelish and joshua kimmich? 🙄 acting like 28 is a totally normal age for pulisic to join the mls is fucking stupid. 

Edited by shadow_operative

19 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Is Will Forbes someone I should care about?

MLS is way more than 3 years from being a league that can have real appeal to the USMNT outside being a development league or retirement league.

I fucking love how all of these MLS honks just salivate at the thought of wasting the prime years of our top American players because … MLS. 

Just now, RamjetFDO said:
2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:
this surface is a joke. dry af and slow

Like playing on a memory foam mattress topper.

We CONCACAFed our own field!

Jesus fuck, Zendejas and Roldan have misplayed or misjudged just about every ball that's come their way.

• Haha 2