2022 Heisman

Helobious

On 12/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, satyanash said:

Lost all meaning in 1956 when Paul Hornung won after leading Notre Dame to a 2-8 record.

The Heisman Committee never gets any real backlash because they can always spin it as "how dare you hate on this amazing student-athlete we chose" but they've been making terrible choices for a very long time now.

No shit, 100% on point, behold the golden boy...fuck the alkie piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d give it to Duggan…his story to me is the most improbable of the nominees…but I’m biased. And always wrong on this award except when RG3 won it.

I’d paint on my ten fingernails: VY was punk’d…the “d would be on one nail.

Agree, Duggan is one tough over accomplishing mofo. Overcame some life altering stuff.

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Paul Hornung was an amazing player and a NFL hall of famer. The fact his team sucked shouldn't matter. The fact the award is so tied to how well your team did is what is wrong with the award IMO. If the best player plays for a 2 win team well he should win anyway.

Additionally, the best player in college football is always a skill-position player.

/sarcasm

Here's a decent summary of the results:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/heisman-trophy-2022-winner-voting-results/aj03p9wopvjvxgcrvbisudij

Voting results:

Finish Player Pos. School Points 1st 2nd 3rd
1 Caleb Williams QB USC 2,031 544 168 63
2 Max Duggan QB TCU 1,420 188 357 142
3 C.J. Stroud QB Ohio State 539 37 119 190
4 Stetson Bennett QB Georgia 349 36 65 111
5 Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee 226 17 47 81
6 Bryce Young QB Alabama 141 17 28 34
7 Blake Corum RB Michigan 125 8 25 51
8 Michael Penix Jr. QB Washington 114 9 20 47
9 Bijan Robinson RB Texas 75 4 12 39
10 Drake Maye QB North Carolina 42 3 6 21

According to https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/football/2022/12/11/this-year-our-staff-heisman-trophy-voters-agreed-on-the-same-player/69716486007/ (paywalled).

Bohls: 1- Duggan, 2 - Robinson, 3 - Williams
Golden: 1 - Duggan, 2 - Robinson, 3 - Stroud

Still looking for FCB's ballot.

EDIT: Spoiler'd a cut-paste of what is paywalled.  Somewhat banal, but it is Bohls and Golden.

Spoiler

The American-Statesman has two votes for the Heisman Trophy. Here's how columnists Kirk Bohls, a voter since 1979, and Cedric Golden, a voter since 2009, filled out their ballots — and why:

Bohls: Max Duggan's drive, heroics earned my vote

Max Duggan defines college football. Came from far away in Iowa and beat out more highly recruited players.

Started for three seasons but was beaten out. Didn’t enter the transfer portal but instead stuck around with the goal of being the best backup. Never pouted and got a second chance because of injury to the starter. Overcame heart surgery. Took his team to a perfect regular season and just inches short of a Big 12 championship against an opponent he’d already beaten.

Oh, and he’s a damn good quarterback.

All of which are great reasons the TCU quarterback should have won the Heisman Trophy.

Hell, he probably should be Time magazine's Person of the Year as well for making the Horned Frogs the first team from the state of Texas to reach the College Football Playoff. He even had the signature Heisman moment in the Big 12 title game when he took the Horned Frogs the length of the field, fought off exhaustion and put them on his back — and legs — before two goal-line carries by teammates fell short of the end zone for a tying touchdown.

Can anyone top those heroics? Someday we’ll figure out why Sonny Dykes didn’t give Duggan the ball again on one of the last two plays.

Sure, the narrative didn’t play out perfectly since Kansas State’s defense denied TCU, but that didn’t stop Dykes’ 12-1 team from breaking through and earning the first CFP spot for a Big 12 team other than Oklahoma and making history.

He was also picked as the Big 12 offensive player of the year and was a unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection. He ranks ninth in the nation in passing efficiency but tied for second among Power Five quarterbacks with 16 touchdown passes of at least 20 yards and three or more touchdowns in eight of his 12 starts. He added six rushing touchdowns and threw for 3,321 yards with just four interceptions.

Duggan did all that and earned a trip to New York as one of four Heisman finalists, all of whom were quarterbacks. He was also named the winner of this year’s Davey O’Brien Award, given to the best quarterback in the nation.

Bohls: Texas' Ewers, Washington's Penix bring contrasting styles, goals to Alamo Bowl matchup

I felt Texas workhorse/stallion Bijan Robinson also was worthy of that trip, so I put him second on my Heisman ballot. He finished just ninth in the voting — way too low — but at least was recognized as the best running back in America by earning the Doak Walker Award. If it’s heart, you’re looking for, you need look no farther than Duggan and Robinson.

Finally, I went with USC quarterback Caleb Williams, who almost willed the Trojans into the Final Four despite a painful hamstring injury, putting the favorite third on my ballot.

Golden: Duggan should win comeback player of the year, too

Max Duggan earned the Heisman Trophy.

If college football had a Comeback Player of the Year Award, he should have won it too. The TCU quarterback nearly willed his team to a 13-0 season for the first time in its Big 12 history, and he would have accomplished the feat had Horned Frogs coach Sonny Dykes not forgotten to put the ball in the hands of his best player during crunch time of the Big 12 title game loss to Kansas State.

Every Heisman winner must have a signature moment, from Desmond Howard’s punt return and iconic Heisman pose against Ohio State in 1991 to  Ricky Williams’ epic touchdown run against Texas A&M in 1998 to Reggie Bush’s jaw-breaking joystick run against Fresno State in 2005.

Duggan’s moment came in the league title game as he single-handedly drove the Frogs down the field to the doorstep while gasping for air between plays. After losing the starting job in the preseason, Duggan didn’t slink off to the transfer portal. He went back to work, and when the opportunity came, he was more than ready.

Texas running back Bijan Robinson finished ninth in the voting, a sad result given that he’s arguably the most electric player in all of college football. The Heisman has largely become a quarterback’s award, but that should not diminish the great numbers Robinson posted in what should be his final college season.

Robinson got my second-place vote because he constantly delivered for an 8-4 team that let several wins slip away. He totaled nearly 1,900 yards of offense and scored 20 touchdowns, second-most among running backs. He also represented his school with class and integrity, which is often overlooked in determining the nation’s best player. 

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud was at the helm of one of the nation’s most prolific attacks and got my third-place vote just ahead of USC quarterback Caleb Williams, who had the numbers but not good timing. His profane fingernail paint job aimed at Pac-12 opponent Utah was a horrible look for a tremendous player.

Edited by boilerhorn

It's a little-known fact that not only Hornung, but nearly three-quarters of the Heisman Committee, were/are closeted gay, NTTAWWT. Hornung and his "handlers" made known to the HC that the information would be flowing if Paul didn't win. Turning a juggernaut into a dog cart was not a poor enough performance to skip the actual best player in the land.

And...

That's Entertaiiiiin Ment!

What? You don't believe? You got a better explanation? Maybe the HC weren't hobosexuals, they were just overwhelmingly stupid... or Catholics... or Racists... or what?