The barely too Early 2023 SXSW band, venue, RSVP suggestion thread!

horn4life

Come one come all and give your personal suggestions and sleeper finds among what I think is going to be an explosion of more "unofficial" shows around this time. Covid scrubbed off a lot and I think this year is going to include a lot more music sound town this year.  For years SoCo has been our go to, but slowly but surely a lot of the old music venues have gotten displaced, and moved or downsized in covid.  My current pattern is mainly a drift back and forth between Continental Club and SXSJ (South by San Jose) with an occasional walk down to C-Boys or Lucy's fried Chicken for a particular band. Yard Dog in the Alley is gone now but I they have reincarnated their shows at ABGB (Austin beer Garden and brewing) so they still have a presence just not walking distance.  

I did not realize for some reason that KLBJ has day shows at Cooper's on Congress until last year. Still missed Zach Person, but it's on my day list this year.  We also went to a great day show called Floodfest in 2019 at Cedar Street what was good solid via RSVP.  Last year I went to some Day outdoor shows at Hotel Vegas on Saturday and then made the mistake of trying to cross the highway to get south for a band and it would have been easier to go east to Pleasant Valley to cross the river from the Ease 6th street area. So feel to put in any SXSW travel logistics. Done some Dogwood shows as well. For me it's trying to find a couple of solid bands grouped together.

The other thing I see more and more is RSVP shows.  Mainly I want to see good music in smaller venues!  Up and comer bands is what SXSW is all about.  I'm still pissed at the wife for missing Courtney Barnett at Buffalo Billiards a couple years ago.  And at my sister for making me eat a $25 chicken fried steak instead of watching the black Pumas for more than the last couple songs.  There are real gems to be found each and every SXSW and most of them are at the non-official gigs, because haven't made a name yet for themselves and they are playing 3 shows as well as a single small venue official show.  

I know that most of the Unofficial shows don't firm up until February.  But tell me what you favorite venues have been over the years during SXSW, and help me expand my range a bit.  When the good shows firm up let us know when and where!

Edited by horn4life

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've always liked Randy Franklin's shows at Yard Dog.  He's not doing them any more?

I think 2019 was the last year in the alley.  Saw a great set of Uncle Lucious there as the last I saw I think.  Yard Dog takes over ABGB now, or did last year.  Seems like Bloodshot records was a sponsor at least one of the days.  With that moving I started looking a little more to Lucy's as they had full days of music I think Wednesday through Sunday. In fact Lucy's usually has a pretty solid Sunday lineup with everyone else has called SXSW over at that point.  

Yeah, Randy is close to Jon Langford / Mekons and a bunch of Bloodshot artists.  They were a big part of the Yard Dog SXSW shows.

As an aside, if you've never seen Jon's art when he has a showing at Yard Dog, it's worth the trip.  Pretty cool "primitive" rock portraits, etc.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

find an artist you like who will be at sxsw and see what label they're on, check out the other bands on that label. the label will have a free day show somewhere and you'll probably like some of the other bands. 

• Like 1