2023 Texas Softball - Back to WCWS

Js1

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas added Maxwell and the ND player who would have a better roster than us? 

OU? That might be it. 

I would still like a big power bat (ie, 15-20 HRs) but adding another infielder from ND with 10+ HR power + Maxwell would make us a legit contender. 

Atwood

Brandon, Cimusz or a freshman 

Goode

Martinez

Mitchell

Dayton/Maloney/Scott

Maxwell, Morgan, Gutierrez, Kavan + Simpson/Czech in the pen 

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This would be a direct karma repayment for Miranda Elish if Maxwell comes to Texas. Hopefully OKST just wants Maxwell to be happy 

Does Maxwell really want to come to Texas??    Inquiring minds want to know.    

2 minutes ago, orangeut said:

Does Maxwell really want to come to Texas??    Inquiring minds want to know.    

She’s from Texas, White is a well known pitching coach and has Texas has a roster to compete. It’s missing a real shutdown swing and miss ace. I don’t see why she wouldn’t consider us if she wants to be closer to home. Better option than UH, LSU, aggy, Baylor and we can pay 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

She’s from Texas, White is a well known pitching coach and has Texas has a roster to compete. It’s missing a real shutdown swing and miss ace. I don’t see why she wouldn’t consider us if she wants to be closer to home. Better option than UH, LSU, aggy, Baylor and we can pay 

This....This would be a huge pickup for Texas. She is a legitimate ace that can shut down almost any lineup when she is on. 

Also for the validity of the post by that person on Reddit - 

They created a post titled "Jordy Bahl likely to transfer to Nebraska within days"  like 4 days before she announced she was headed to Nebraska. 

seems legit GIF

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I just don't think we have an Alo, Kiki Malloy, etc. in the cards in the portal. 

What we do have -

Atwood and Goode are likely double digit HR hitters as sophomores (Atwood had 11 last year, Goode had 8 )
Martinez had 5 as a freshman, so hopefully she can hit 8-12 as a sophomore
If we are truly getting Mitchell, she is also a double digit HR hitter (10 as a senior at ND this past season)
Cimusz has potential to be a double digit HR hitter, or close to it (9 as a freshman, but had a sopohmore slump)
Hopefully a healthy Bella is able to get back to hitting 5-8 HR next year

Katie Stewart and Victoria Hunter are your incoming freshman with the HR power

I'd also like to see more out of Brandon with consistent playing time - she does look like a good lefty hitter with power

In the past 10 season, we'd never had a season with 3 or more double digit HR hitters.  Usually 2 (Stephens/Thom, Stephens/Shireman, Iakopo/Rhodes, Day/Iakopo), though 2020 might have been the year, as we had three players with 4 and one player with 5 when she season got shut down. 

But I really do think McCombs is just not a HR park - 18 is still the single season program record.  The god damn OF fences are so insanely high. 

Edited by Js1

Saw a bit of B12 Commisioner Brett Yormark's press conference at B12 Media Days.

He remarked that B12 will (quote) "double down" on maintaining the current championship sites for all sports.   Presents a possible power struggle with OU and their fans since they would likely petition the SEC to move to OK City which is a great venue, albeit the weather.  Will be interesting to see the thoughts of the sponsor Phillips 66. 

Very likely the SEC Tournament will continue on a rotational host basis.   McCombs needs some immediate upgrades.   Perhaps lower the fences and have better seating in right field with the addition of fan friendly seating/areas with awnings, etc like other SEC sites.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, torre said:

Very likely the SEC Tournament will continue on a rotational host basis

Very likely, especially with OU opening a new stadium soon.  Current rotation as announced is Auburn (2024), UGA (2025), Kentucky (2026), LSU (2027), Missouri (2028) and Ole Miss (2029).  So the earliest it could be in Austin or Norman is 2030, unless one of the other schools lets Texas/OU jump the line.  And we'd be behind aggy and Miss St. and South Carolina in the pecking order based on tenure.

The Big 12 only has an agreement with ASA Hall of Fame Stadium for 2 more years (through 2025).  So the SEC has two options:

• Try to gain a foothold at ASA for their tournament after the Big 12 agreement ends in 2025 and end the rotation early
  • Convince ASA to do a shorter-term agreement with the Big 12 (like a 10 year deal) to allow a full rotation of SEC schools before pushing it to ASA permanently
    • Florida, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee have already hosted (2019-2023, not counting 2020)
    • Auburn, UGA, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri and Ole Miss are on the schedule to host
    • Which means they'd need to let Texas, OU, aggy, Miss St. and SC host before moving it somewhere permanent.  So the earliest would be 2035.
      • If they ditch the rotation early and move it permanently prior to the 5 schools above getting to host, it would mean Texas, OU, aggy, and Miss St. will have never hosted an SEC softball tournament.  South Carolina hosted 1997 and 2000.  Missouri has also never hosted, but are slated for 2028. 
Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also not expecting Maxwell news anytime soon - not sure if she got to take visits or not after she jumped into the portal, but she's currently playing in the Women's Softball World Cup this month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Very likely, especially with OU opening a new stadium soon.  Current rotation as announced is Auburn (2024), UGA (2025), Kentucky (2026), LSU (2027), Missouri (2028) and Ole Miss (2029).  So the earliest it could be in Austin or Norman is 2030, unless one of the other schools lets Texas/OU jump the line.  And we'd be behind aggy and Miss St. and South Carolina in the pecking order based on tenure.

The Big 12 only has an agreement with ASA Hall of Fame Stadium for 2 more years (through 2025).  So the SEC has two options:

• Try to gain a foothold at ASA for their tournament after the Big 12 agreement ends in 2025 and end the rotation early
  • Convince ASA to do a shorter-term agreement with the Big 12 (like a 10 year deal) to allow a full rotation of SEC schools before pushing it to ASA permanently
    • Florida, Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee have already hosted (2019-2023, not counting 2020)
    • Auburn, UGA, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri and Ole Miss are on the schedule to host
    • Which means they'd need to let Texas, OU, aggy, Miss St. and SC host before moving it somewhere permanent.  So the earliest would be 2035.
      • If they ditch the rotation early and move it permanently prior to the 5 schools above getting to host, it would mean Texas, OU, aggy, and Miss St. will have never hosted an SEC softball tournament.  South Carolina hosted 1997 and 2000.  Missouri has also never hosted, but are slated for 2028. 

Texas is hosting the SEC Championships in 32-33 per the SEC handout in May.

23 - Arkansas

24 - Auburn

25 - Georgia

26 - Kentucky

27 - Mississippi

28 - Missouri

29 - Mississippi State

30 - Souf Carolina

31 - Texas A&M

32 - Oklahoma

33 - Texas

34 - Tennessee

35 - LSU

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Thread on Reddit says Maxwell to Florida and will announce when she gets back to the states. Should have read the whole story. Duh

I saw that thread too. It said she committed. Then allegedly. Then mentioned Texas and OU still in it. 

So it was full of conjecture by the poster 

Florida softball dipped into the transfer portal for another impact bat, signing former Oklahoma catcher/utility player Jocelyn Erickson on Thursday. Erickson batted .337 in her freshman season for the national champion Sooners in 2023, finishing the year with 32 RBIs, 25 runs scored and 18 extra-base hits.

Florida apparently spending $$$

48 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Florida apparently spending $$$

They can also offer the most playing time bc they eschewed the portal last year to not upset the #1 incoming recruiting class. Going for a couple one year pitching rentals isn’t a bad option and doesn’t hurt the incoming kids too much  

Also OU is probably out on Maxwell after this pickup. Of course, Liberty to OU is basically just changing rooms at Sunday school

As a junior in 2023, Keeney was an iron woman for the Flames, appearing in 48 games and throwing 261.2 innings pitched. She was 27-12 with a 2.03 ERA and an opponents batting average of .229. Keeney threw 27 complete games, including five shutouts last season to help lead Liberty to the NCAA tournament.

It does appear Taryn Kern is NOT headed to OU, but Stanford. 

Gasso going to miss out on Kern and Maxwell and Vawter? I did not see that coming.  Keeney is a good pickup, and Monticello has potential, but I don't see the big scary transfer offensive player to replace who they lost. 

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

Gasso going to miss out on Kern and Maxwell and Vawter? I did not see that coming.  Keeney is a good pickup, and Monticello has potential, but I don't see the big scary transfer offensive player to replace who they lost. 

Agreed, but as always they have a very talented group of incoming freshmen. I am still holding out hope that Coach White can find some power for the middle of the order to go with all this speed. 

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

Mentally it’s for the best.  Maybe lose 4-5 in regular season and go into the postseason with some doubters.  You need something changed up to get a 4pete.  Those just don’t happen.  

10 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Agreed, but as always they have a very talented group of incoming freshmen. I am still holding out hope that Coach White can find some power for the middle of the order to go with all this speed. 

Oh no doubt.  But they lost Hayley Lee (14 HR), Grace Lyons (9 HR), Jocelyn Erickson (7 HR), Sophia Nugent (7 HR) and Grace Green (2 HR) in terms of actual college production, both offensively and defensively.  Plus Bahl (.90 ERA) and Storako (1.15 ERA). 

Not every player immediately comes in and embraces the Sooner way - I believe Gasso was quoted that Cydney Sanders had a rough transition to the OU coaching philosophy. 

It won't be a "rebuilding" year, obviously, they are still a legit contender.  But if Texas can get Maxwell, we are legit contenders for the Big 12 with OU. 

As for us, Goode, Atwood, Cimucz and Mitchell are legit 10+ HR hitters. We will see what the 2 big freshman bats can do, and what kind of jumps offensively someone like Martinez makes.  Plus a fully healthy Dayton. 

Big 12 race should actually be interesting next year.  Like, OU isn't going to win the regular season undefeated and likely not by 4+ games. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

As for us, Goode, Atwood, Cimucz and Mitchell are legit 10+ HR hitters. We will see what the 2 big freshman bats can do, and what kind of jumps offensively someone like Martinez makes.  Plus a fully healthy Dayton. 

Big 12 race should actually be interesting next year.  Like, OU isn't going to win the regular season undefeated and likely not by 4+ games. 

Encouraged by Mitchell's home run prospectus working with Singleton and the warmer weather.

Have you seen any reports on OKSt, Baylor, and Tech adding prominent players  ?    Need a strong conference in final year to further challenge OU.   Encouraged by the progress Tech made under Craig Snider in year 1.

1 minute ago, torre said:

Encouraged by Mitchell's home run prospectus working with Singleton and the warmer weather.

Have you seen any reports on OKSt, Baylor, and Tech adding prominent players  ?    Need a strong conference in final year to further challenge OU.   Encouraged by the progress Tech made under Craig Snider in year 1.

Baylor - not sure

Texas Tech - added Aubrey Barnhart (Bama), Jenna Lord (Ole Miss), lost Kaylee Lion

Ok State - added Caroline Hudson (Liberty), Macy Graf (Miss St), lost Ballie Runner, Tatum Clopton, Kelly Maxwell

That is what I have seen on the master list on Ultimate College Softball

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Mentally it’s for the best.  Maybe lose 4-5 in regular season and go into the postseason with some doubters.  You need something changed up to get a 4pete.  Those just don’t happen.  

While I'd like the number of Petes to stop at 3, even if it doesn't, it won't change that fact that OU sucks.  

Noles247 said FSU is trying to get both Vawter and Maxwell on campus. They believe Texas is the favorite for Maxwell currently. 

It sounds like Maxwell will take visits - Texas, UF, FSU, OU, maybe aggy and Tenn too

Methinks the UF side got cocky. Maxwell visited OU and Noles247 thinks Texas is the favorite. Vawter is currently visiting SC. Florida side seemed so cocky that Maxwell and Vawter had already committed 

Also appears from the third assistant posting on the NFCA website that White is looking for someone with pitching coach experience. Whether he just needs more help or realizes he can’t do third base/overall in-game coaching and pitching coaching remains to be seen

Edited by Js1

OU fans still think they have her. UF fans still think she’s visiting them before making a decision. So either Maxwell made up her mind early and chose us or we hired an assistant. And it better be a big one, like Cat

It’s one or the other or a total unknown, I haven’t seen us linked to any other names in the portal. Vawter definitely is going to end up in the southeast - UF, Georgia, SC, FSU seem to be where she visited 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think it's an assistant. Why would it take a few days for that to become public? 

That’s what I was literally thinking. No reason to hold off on announcing it?

• Like 1