CFB Catch-All Thread -- 2023

LTtxfan

On 8/28/2023 at 10:29 AM, Sbbruin said:

What a brutal penalty for a team that won't sniff a bowl game

Considering they’re eyeballing Meatchicken for basically the same thing (Covid period violations), that 4 cupcake game suspension for Harbaugh is pretty light. 

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

@PittsburghTiger are you at this Pitt/WVU game.  Seems like this is right up your alley.

Oh yeah, I was there.  What a fantastic display of shitty football, by both teams. Although Pitt was more shitastic than was WVU. Both offenses racked up a whopping 211 yards, each. WVU does have some good running backs.

Pitt knocked their QB out early but, it didn’t seem to matter. Pitt’s QB had one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen. I think it’s obvious why he left ND, and then BC, 8/20 for 81 yards and 3 INT. WVU threw for 61 yards.

You can just feel the hatred coming from WVU. I did think it was funny when they honored WVU’s baseball team and the one guy, next to the trophy holder, did a Horns Down.

That being said, their fans really come out in support.

IMG_7884.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Oh, well she says.

If she wants female lacrosse players, or whatever, to get more NIL money, she should come up with a way to make people, you know, care, rather than trying to WNBA unwilling people. 

I agree.

I also think none of this NIL was thought through by the powers that be. I also think that is why the football power schools have not yet broken away to form the conference of super best friends. I think they need a fall guy and the NCAA will certainly fill that role. 

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I agree.

I also think none of this NIL was thought through by the powers that be. I also think that is why the football power schools have not yet broken away to form the conference of super best friends. I think they need a fall guy and the NCAA will certainly fill that role. 

I don’t know how much there really was to think through once it became reality other than to try to keep it arms’ length enough not to piss off the NCAA until they get around to jettisoning those bureaucratic jackasses.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

NIL being subject to Title IX is one of the dumbest fucking things I've read.  It's literally Name, Image and Likeness.  Your market value is your market value.  That LSU gymnast makes more than damn near anyone doesn't she?  Sorry nobody gives a shit about Duke Lacrosse Maddie.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

‘Bout damn time.

NCAA committee recommends legislation to remove cannabis from banned substances list in all three divisions

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-committee-recommends-legislation-to-remove-cannabis-from-banned-substances-list-in-all-three-divisions/

The NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports recommended legislation that would remove cannabis from the NCAA's list of banned drug classes at all three divisions, the governing body announced Friday. The recommendation calls for a "robust educational strategy" for college athletes when it comes to cannabis.

The committee concluded that removing cannabis from the list of banned substances would accomplish the following: 

Acknowledges the ineffectiveness of existing policy (banning, testing and penalizing).

Affirms the role of the NCAA drug-testing program to address only performance-enhancing substances.

Emphasizes the importance of moving toward a harm-reduction strategy that prioritizes education and support at the school level over penalties. 

"Cannabis is not a performance-enhancing drug and that a harm-reduction approach to cannabis is best implemented at the school level," The NCAA stated in a release following midweek meetings in Indianapolis.

The committee's release also cites changing "cultural and legal landscapes" surrounding the use cannabis.

As for what's next, the timetable for adoption of this new legislation now rests in the hands of all three NCAA divisional governing structures.

"When making a decision on an important topic like this, we agree that the membership should have an opportunity to vote on the final outcome," committee chair James Houle, lead sport psychologist at Ohio State, said in a statement. "We are recommending a big shift in the paradigm when it comes to cannabinoids. We want to modernize the strategy with the most up-to-date research to give schools the best opportunity to support the health of student-athletes."

Sorry if already posted..

Casey Thompson tore both an ACL and medial meniscus, continuing a run of bad injury luck that has plagued his six-year college career.
Under NCAA rules, Thompson could receive a waiver to play a seventh season after getting injured in FAU's third game of the season

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38432009/sources-fau-qb-casey-thompson-season-acl-meniscus-tears

Ferenz needs to be fired for keeping his son on as OC. That was an unbridled offensive atrocity against Penn State. The stats make it look even worse if that's possible.  

Next time Iowa's at home they need to pull down the shades on the windows at that hospital. I'm guessing those kids have already suffered enough.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Ferenz needs to be fired for keeping his son on as OC. That was an unbridled offensive atrocity against Penn State. The stats make it look even worse if that's possible.  

Next time Iowa's at home they need to pull down the shades on the windows at that hospital. I'm guessing those kids have already suffered enough.  

Damn... just looked up the stats... 76 total yards, 4 fumbles... only 33 total plays.. yikes

• Hook 'Em 1

There has been little parity at No. 1 in the poll over the past few years, as only Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and LSU have appeared in the top spot since 2016. It feels like that could be on the verge of changing, but hardly any voters — myself included — have budged from Georgia, which still received all but eight first-place votes.

Damn

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Not sure if you all saw the shitty thing that piece of shit James Franklin did near the end of the game on Saturday.  Up 33-14 with just over 2 minutes left he had his quarterback fake kneeling down then threw a pass for a touchdown. 

I don’t know. I despise James Franklin as much as anyone but I think that’s debatable. They weren’t in the victory formation. They were spread out and the QB was in the shotgun with just the RB next to him. The RB took off as soon as the ball was snapped. No one on defense reacted as though they thought the play was dead. The announcers debated it. One said they were faking a kneel-down and a flag should’ve been thrown. The other suggested that maybe he was just faking a QB run. I’m not sure about that take. I could see that they might’ve been faking a fumbled snap. Either way it was a weird play. The refs didn’t have a problem with it. And the score was 34-13 so the extra TD covered the spread keeping them perfect on the year. (I was fine with that.)

After watching their games at both Illinois and Northwestern I can say I’m glad to see that Drew Allar plays a lot worse on the road than he does at Beaver Stadium. Hopefully that remains true when the Nits visit Columbus in a few weeks, their next road test. In fact it’s their next test period. They’ve got a BYE this week and then just UMass next week so they’ve basically got three weeks to prepare for their trip to the ‘Shoe, which of course is a noon kick. They tend to get prime time white outs when the Bucks travel to Happy Valley but I’m not bitter about that disparity at all. (Fortunately that wasn’t the case last year.)

Anyway, here’s the play for everyone’s consideration:

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know. I despise James Franklin as much as anyone but I think that’s debatable. They weren’t in the victory formation. They were spread out and the QB was in the shotgun with just the RB next to him. The RB took off as soon as the ball was snapped. No one on defense reacted as though they thought the play was dead. The announcers debated it. One said they were faking a kneel-down and a flag should’ve been thrown. The other suggested that maybe he was just faking a QB run. I’m not sure about that take. I could see that they might’ve been faking a fumbled snap. Either way it was a weird play. The refs didn’t have a problem with it. And the score was 34-13 so the extra TD covered the spread keeping them perfect on the year. (I was fine with that.)

After watching their games at both Illinois and Northwestern I can say I’m glad to see that Drew Allar plays a lot worse on the road than he does at Beaver Stadium. Hopefully that remains true when the Nits visit Columbus in a few weeks, their next road test. In fact it’s their next test period. They’ve got a BYE this week and then just UMass next week so they’ve basically got three weeks to prepare for their trip to the ‘Shoe, which of course is a noon kick. They tend to get prime time white outs when the Bucks travel to Happy Valley but I’m not bitter about that disparity at all. (Fortunately that wasn’t the case last year.)

Anyway, here’s the play for everyone’s consideration:

It’s kind of a bitch move, imo, but the officials have whistles for a reason and I didn’t hear any. 

On 10/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, VABuckeye said:

Not sure if you all saw the shitty thing that piece of shit James Franklin did near the end of the game on Saturday.  Up 33-14 with just over 2 minutes left he had his quarterback fake kneeling down then threw a pass for a touchdown. 

yeah, I'm not seeing any fake kneel or anything close to that in that clip. All I see is QB getting LB to bite on a run and then throwing it over his head. Not many kneel plays would include a pulling guard.