2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I will confess to forgetting about how good Tidehaven's defense was this season.

They're tough.

They're certainly holding Gunter to well before their season average. 

Just now, Mitch Hedberg said:

High school QB sliding two yards short of a first down in the 4th qtr of state championship is so 2023. Irritating. You’re in high school not some pro bonus baby. 

I agree... but he is just a sophomore. 

There are two different sets of turf for Jerry world. There's the one only the Cowboys play on, and then the one for everyone else. Watch the B12 championship and you'll see guys hit the dirt like a sniper took them out. The quality of the turf, the black rubber shit they spread and the quality of how they spread it are very subpar. Still beats old Texas Stadium, but it's pretty shitty.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

There are two different sets of turf for Jerry world. There's the one only the Cowboys play on, and then the one for everyone else. Watch the B12 championship and you'll see guys hit the dirt like a sniper took them out. The quality of the turf, the black rubber shit they spread and the quality of how they spread it are very subpar. Still beats old Texas Stadium, but it's pretty shitty.

I clearly remember Adonai Mitchell on the long pass running away from 3 defenders.  He makes a slight move and just fell completely.  Glad he wasn't hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a stadium/field nerd and previously did some reading on this. The turf everyone else gets is a slit film turf. It’s got smaller individual fibers that compact more and holds that under layer down “better”. It also compacts more and kind of creates un even spots. The NFL has actually asked teams to not use slit film surfaces. Most have gone to a mono film. It’s singular thicker blades of turf that stand up better but don’t conceal or hold the under-layer as well. Pretty sure that’s what the new Cowboys surface went to in the last upgrade.

Did you know the Rangers and Diamondbacks actually have the same artificial playing surface and under surface? Whatever the black shit is called. Instead of black rubber theirs is like a crushed coconut and sand compound that’s why it’s brownish colored and not black. https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/01/31/rangers-choice-to-install-turf-in-the-new-stadium-might-be-unpopular-but-it-was-an-informed-decision/?outputType=amp
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Did they ever give an update on #44 for Tidehavens injury? Didn't look good unfortunately.  Kid had made some plays before getting hurt 

Yeah, I feel bad for him. I went to school with his mom. He's a good kid. 

Edit...I just talked to my mother (she's friends with his grandmother), and she said his grandmother told her it's ACL. Not sure if a tear or just a sprain yet.

Edited by Lou_Sassle

I’m a stadium/field nerd and previously did some reading on this. The turf everyone else gets is a slit film turf. It’s got smaller individual fibers that compact more and holds that under layer down “better”. It also compacts more and kind of creates un even spots. The NFL has actually asked teams to not use slit film surfaces. Most have gone to a mono film. It’s singular thicker blades of turf that stand up better but don’t conceal or hold the under-layer as well. Pretty sure that’s what the new Cowboys surface went to in the last upgrade.

Did you know the Rangers and Diamondbacks actually have the same artificial playing surface and under surface? Whatever the black shit is called. Instead of black rubber theirs is like a crushed coconut and sand compound that’s why it’s brownish colored and not black. https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/01/31/rangers-choice-to-install-turf-in-the-new-stadium-might-be-unpopular-but-it-was-an-informed-decision/?outputType=amp

I did know it was different but not specifically why. I just figured that when Cowboys got new turf they would hand down the old stuff to the peasants. I was unaware that it was totally different. Not sure about where y'all say, but from where I was for B12 you could see clear as day there were uneven spots scattered throughout the field. Nothing like standing on one sideline at Texas Stadium and only seeing from the waist up on the folks across the field from you, but it was pretty obvious it was uneven as fuck.

2 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Which one of these teams fans is blowing the vuvuzelas or whatever?  Because I hate these people now.

haha, was thinking it was the band.

Couldn't remember for sure but thought there was a rule about the band playing during the other teams offense. Meant to look it up after last week's Westlake-North Shore as the North Shore band played one long note all the time when Westlake was on offense.

Just looked it up now, it is against the rules for the band to play from the time the offense huddles to the snap.

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/Guidelines_for_Bands_Playing_during_Football_Games.pdf

• Like 1