2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

19 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Aledo, the home of white flight.  And if you happen to be athletically gifted, blacks are welcome, too.  And by welcome, we mean financially enriched because of the athletic gift.

12 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

All I have to say is this is incredibly fucking stupid. Great post 1/10.

Presented without commentary

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/0778000089/school.aspxScreenshot_20230129-191558_Chrome.thumb.jpg.11a380fc63011eb707b131b47a70636d.jpg

I wonder if Wood and Buck leaving has to do with impending high schools being built and the district being chopped up. So many homes being built in that area it's amazing they still just have one 5A school.

I dont root for Aledo but the school/tradition/facilities recruits itself; especially if you have athletically gifted sons and want them to get the most out of their high school athletic experience 

Currently there are no plans for another HS. There was discussion that had Revian chosen the Aledo area as their plant destination there would have been enough tax revenue and bond money for two new High Schools. I’m 100% for 1 or 2 schools, and soon. I get it will fracture the all mighty football team but overall for kids like mine it will be best.

Growth right now in the area will push us to 6A in no time. Something will need to be done in less than 6 yr.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if Wood and Buck leaving has to do with impending high schools being built and the district being chopped up. So many homes being built in that area it's amazing they still just have one 5A school.
I dont root for Aledo but the school/tradition/facilities recruits itself; especially if you have athletically gifted sons and want them to get the most out of their high school athletic experience 

Tell me you have no idea what you’re talking about without telling me you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

37 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Tell me you have no idea what you’re talking about without telling me you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

Tell me where I'm wrong. I have 3 different buddies that played college ball either football or baseball that are raising their young families in Aledo. Nobody recruited them. The Legacy running back probably got tampered, but its obviously not a tough sell.

42 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

They’ve been without a coach since November. As crazy as it sounds, I’ve heard they’re struggling to find someone to take the job. Cedar Hill doesn’t spend the kind of money on athletics that their neighbors DeSoto and Duncanville do. Assistant pay is reportedly lower and the facilities are much worse than most 6A schools.

It’s a minor miracle they became a power the way they did. But that success raised expectations, and those expectations combined with the lack of resources make that job tough as hell.  Especially with the aforementioned district rivals, Duncanville and DeSoto, both winning state titles this past season.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, Lonestar88 said:

They’ve been without a coach since November. As crazy as it sounds, I’ve heard they’re struggling to find someone to take the job. Cedar Hill doesn’t spend the kind of money on athletics that their neighbors DeSoto and Duncanville do. Assistant pay is reportedly lower and the facilities are much worse than most 6A schools.

It’s a minor miracle they became a power the way they did. But that success raised expectations, and those expectations combined with the lack of resources make that job tough as hell.  Especially with the aforementioned district rivals, Duncanville and DeSoto, both winning state titles this past season.

Finally made a hire.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This could have an impact on the TV viewing of the Texas HS football state championship games.

If Bally's broadcast their own bankruptcy filing no one would be able to watch it.

It's about time. It will still take many months to sort out possibly into next year but at least the process has begun.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Damn that’s huge. They went from chronic underachievers to winning machine entirely thanks to him.

Did Kay take them to a new level? Absolutely.  Deserves tons of credit for that. Was North Shore pretty fucking good for 15 years before he became head coach? I don't know, is 96-8 for an 8 year stretch from 2000-2007 any good? Is 43-9 the 4 years (2010-2013) immediately prior to Kay taking over any good? Maybe not compared to his mind boggling 75-4 run in the last 5 years but not much can compare to that. 

If you want to talk about a guy taking over a program that sucked shit through a straw and immediately started kicking ass when he got there, let's talk about  Joey Florence and Denton Ryan. 

Ryan was 13-47 in their history before he came in. Zero playoff appearances. Florence comes in  2000 and goes 56-6 in his first 4 seasons, twice state champion and twice runner up. That is creating a machine from nothing 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Did Kay take them to a new level? Absolutely.  Deserves tons of credit for that. Was North Shore pretty fucking good for 15 years before he became head coach? I don't know, is 96-8 for an 8 year stretch from 2000-2007 any good? Is 43-9 the 4 years (2010-2013) immediately prior to Kay taking over any good? Maybe not compared to his mind boggling 75-4 run in the last 5 years but not much can compare to that. 

If you want to talk about a guy taking over a program that sucked shit through a straw and immediately started kicking ass when he got there, let's talk about  Joey Florence and Denton Ryan. 

Ryan was 13-47 in their history before he came in. Zero playoff appearances. Florence comes in  2000 and goes 56-6 in his first 4 seasons, twice state champion and twice runner up. That is creating a machine from nothing 

I knew NS had a title in the early 2000s but I never heard much from them at all before Kay got there. Sounds like they dominated the regular season and could never break through in the playoffs. Kay changed that completely. 

Not sure who the title favorite is now between Dville and Westlake next year with NS out of the picture. Westlake is a machine too but they seem to be losing some talent. Dville has a lot of star power coming back.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I knew NS had a title in the early 2000s but I never heard much from them at all before Kay got there. Sounds like they dominated the regular season and could never break through in the playoffs. Kay changed that completely. 

Not sure who the title favorite is now between Dville and Westlake next year with NS out of the picture. Westlake is a machine too but they seem to be losing some talent. Dville has a lot of star power coming back.

Remember NS lost their star QB this year early in the season. With Bailey back next year, I don’t see how they could already be ruled “out of the picture”.  They donkey punched Westlake without Bailey, and played Dville close. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Remember NS lost their star QB this year early in the season. With Bailey back next year, I don’t see how they could already be ruled “out of the picture”.  They donkey punched Westlake without Bailey, and played Dville close. 

Duncanville also lost their QB to injury; dont know what his classification was.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ravishing Rick said:

That Amador kid was a pretty huge difference maker, we’ll see how they adjust without him. I just don’t see them making state again this year.

10 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Bailey is special, but I'm taking Kay's leaving another sign that maybe the pipeline of talent at North Shore is about to hit a dry spell. Their 2020-2023 classes were absolutely loaded with talent. They will always have talent, but not seeing their usual overflow of talent, especially on the OL/DL. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope Sanchez transfers now. Any place other North Shore would be better for Texas. 

His older brother played for Fort Bend Marshall, and Sanchez transferred to North Shore before 9th grade for reasons I’m sure had nothing to do with football. So it’s not like they’re life long Mustangs or anything

• Hook 'Em 1

Bailey is special, but I'm taking Kay's leaving another sign that maybe the pipeline of talent at North Shore is about to hit a dry spell. Their 2020-2023 classes were absolutely loaded with talent. They will always have talent, but not seeing their usual overflow of talent, especially on the OL/DL. 

You're overthinking this. What is the salary and stress level for a high school HC and AD? Now what is it for a D-1 position coach.

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You're overthinking this. What is the salary and stress level for a high school HC and AD? Now what is it for a D-1 position coach.

Yeah I was, grapevine saying he really hadn't been asked seriously before combined with fact his daughter is graduating high school so timing works out for him... and yeah money likely at least as good now with much better track to riches with a much, much lower stress level for a while.

10 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah I was, grapevine saying he really hadn't been asked seriously before combined with fact his daughter is graduating high school so timing works out for him... and yeah money likely at least as good now with much better track to riches with a much, much lower stress level for a while.

Daughter gets free tuition to Rice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...