2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Watch too (rooting for the other guys)... Hoping just 1st game jitters for Chaps, but they look like they could struggle this year. Like said QB isn't a threat and if you focus on Keyser they stall out quickly. Keyser is currently their only offense.

For Ridge Point...well won't matter, Atascocita and North Shore will block their path again, although they may actually fall to DII this year or next due to a new HS that opened.

I really liked the Ridge Point QB. Dude has some wheels and plays hard! He's going to be a force to deal with.

Our D is salty but in the second half in that heat and humidity, being on the field so much really wore them down. I prefer our backup QB and for the second year, can't understand why he isn't starting. He's much faster, and is a real dual threat. I guess everyone always loves the backup QB.  

15 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Let's not overlook the Anderson Trojans shellacking the McCallum Knights 42-0 in the Taco Shack Bowl last night.  Texas (baseball) signee Ed Small was the key player for the Trojans in their victory.

Anderson scores early and often, runs away with 42-0 Taco Shack Bowl win over McCallum

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/high-school-sports/for-all-the-tortillas-anderson-mccallum-clash-in-22nd-annual-taco-shack-bowl/

L-C-A, All The Way!  Had to taunt my McCallum friends after that shellacking.  Ed Small is pretty, pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/25/2023 at 11:06 PM, Hornlover said:

Stony Point 53 
Austin High 0

Stony Point 24
Austin High 21

Maybe Austin High won't be as shitty as they were last year? 

I caught the end of this one on YouTube -- very nice of AISD to stream games online.  The game was 21-21 in the 2nd quarter and both teams just stopped scoring.

Guys on both sides were cramping up every other play.  Stony Point got a late FG to take the lead.  Austin High had the ball and was driving, but ran out of time around the 30 yd line to end the game.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:46 AM, TreatyOak said:

Watched my beloved Chaps on the stream. I’m feel how Clemson fans must have felt for the last two years hoping DJ Uiagalelei would finally put it all together. Our QB, God bless him, has the size and arm but something is missing. You hope after the off-season, he somehow would come back as this bastion of skill and confidence. And then you see the him do the exact same things, like panic, bail on the pocket, throw balls to nowhere, etc. Sigh. 

We have a great little RB, but we run that “you know the QB is never keeping the ball” scheme so the defense doesn’t even bother worrying about the QB keeper, about it, lulz. 

No need for a QB when your kicker can do this.  Just go Rob Bironas/David Akers on 'em.

• Hook 'Em 5

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas old timers are going to be very pissed about that Daingerfield ranking. Widely regarded as the most dominant team in Texas High School Football history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

RGV thoughts:

No Aparicio no problem for PSJAN. Steamrolled rival PSJA 41-0. Tight end Julius Arredondo is now the QB and is basically another fullback back there.

Harlingen was lucky to beat south. We look small and it might be a long year for us if the offense can’t get going. QB controversy brewing as well. 

Vela is out for blood. They’ve found a QB in 6’3 junior Myles Lopez, who I guess learned how to not suck at football over the offseason after a rough year last year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

No reason to have any entry pre 1970, at the earliest, and maybe even 1980.  There were like 35 high school teams in 1919.  Show me the era w/ black athletes, the forward pass and a middle class population explosion.

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

No reason to have any entry pre 1970, at the earliest, and maybe even 1980.  There were like 35 high school teams in 1919.  Show me the era w/ black athletes, the forward pass and a middle class population explosion.

Yeah I’d didn’t care for the leather helmet era teams. With that kind of logic the 1899 Sewanee was the greatest of all time. 

22 hours ago, Laga4 said:

I’ll take ‘85 Yates over all them hoes. 

2023 Yates definitely won’t be on any all-time great list though. They got roasted 65-0 by Carter last night. One of my lifelong basketball coach friends is coaching football again for the first time in almost 25 years since he was a coach at Samuell (Was an assistant on the team that beat Highland Park in the first round when they were number 1 in the state). I watched most of the first half. Carter looked liked they were going against the scout team.

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

2023 Yates definitely won’t be on any all-time great list though. They got roasted 65-0 by Carter last night. One of my lifelong basketball coach friends is coaching football again for the first time in almost 25 years since he was a coach at Samuell (Was an assistant on the team that beat Highland Park in the first round when they were number 1 in the state). I watched most of the first half. Carter looked liked they were going against the scout team.

Yup,  the glory days are over,  I think they are 4-A now.  

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure why I’ve always found rgv football fascinating 

I can't speak for you, but I enjoy learning histories and stories that have been untold for far too long.  And while I've never been to a game in the Valley, it's a region for which I have a fondness.  From the outside looking in (sort of), I imagine it resembling what high school football in the Metroplex (where I grew up) was 45 years ago; more simple with emphasis on school/town loyalty, not $ and vulgar vanity.  /rant

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I can't speak for you, but I enjoy learning histories and stories that have been untold for far too long.  And while I've never been to a game in the Valley, it's a region for which I have a fondness.  From the outside looking in (sort of), I imagine it resembling what high school football in the Metroplex (where I grew up) was 45 years ago; more simple with emphasis on school/town loyalty, not $ and vulgar vanity.  /rant

Not all games down there are like this obviously but when there’s a big game the atmosphere is about as good as you’ll ever see for any high school game in the country. Harlingen vs San Benito last year:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure why I’ve always found rgv football fascinating 

For the same reasons midget wrestling exists.

Sorry.  the shot was there so I took it.  It is indeed deep with tradition and solid rivalries.  I enjoy the discussion on here and have learned more about schools I don't normally follow.

Edited by slorch

Went to Highland Park-Marcus on Friday and will confidently state that HP would boatrace over half the teams in this top 25

Rank School (Record) Week 1 Prv rank
1 Duncanville (1-0) W: Dallas South Oak Cliff, 34-13 1
2 Galena Park North Shore (1-0) W: The Woodlands, 38-17 2
3 DeSoto (1-0) W: Allen, 39-7 3
4 Austin Westlake (1-0) W: Fort Bend Ridge Point, 31-21 4
5 Katy (1-0) W: League City Clear Springs, 34-22 5
6 Spring Westfield (1-0) W: Cypress Park, 50-0 6
7 Austin Vandegrift (1-0) W: Dripping Springs, 27-7 7
8 Southlake Carroll (1-0) W: EP Eastwood, 70-21 8
9 Denton Guyer (1-0) W: Rockwall-Heath, 42-14 9
10 Humble Atascocita (1-0) W: Dickinson, 46-21 10
11 Cibolo Steele (1-0) W: SA Northside Brennan, 52-0 13
12 Lake Travis (1-0) W: Arlington Martin, 13-6 11
13 Lewisville (1-0) W: Garland Naaman Forest, 50-7 15
14 Prosper (1-0) W: Euless Trinity, 42-41 14
15 North Crowley (1-0) W: Arlington Sam Houston, 69-13 17
16 Klein Collins (1-0) W: Magnolia, 35-13 19
17 Rockwall (1-0) W: Cedar Hill, 56-21 20
18 Humble Summer Creek (1-0) W: Klein Cain, 28-21 21
19 McKinney (1-0) W: Longview, 23-21 22
20 Trophy Club Nelson (1-0) W: Plano, 54-13 24
21 Pflugerville Weiss (1-0) W: Round Rock, 37-7 NR
22 Katy Tompkins (1-0) W: Cypress Ranch, 31-0 NR
23 The Woodlands (0-1) L: Galena Park North Shore, 38-17 12
24 Alvin Shadow Creek (1-0) W: Manvel, 34-15 NR
25 Midland Legacy (1-0) W: Amarillo, 35-7 NR

Dropped out: No. 16 SA Northside Brennan, No. 18 Cy-Fair, No. 23 Dripping Springs, No. 25 Fort Bend Ridge Point

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

That Guyer team was a monster. Also HP beat current #13 Lewisville by 2 touchdowns

HP hasn’t gotten past the second round of the playoffs in 6A. They’ll go undefeated in that weak district, and then give up 50+ points to the first 6A power they run into in the postseason.

Edited by Lonestar88

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

If you want to see a boatrace watch what Steele is going to do to LT this weekend. Don’t be shocked if Judson gives a little scare to Westlake either. 

its going to be a tough week for LT. i think half of the team is out with covid at this point.

Well, Tyler Legacy got their asses kicked by Lufkin, who does have a couple of high-level recruits but it shouldn't have been 31-7. Legacy still has a young team with some OL/QB problems. I think I heard they moved up a freshman OL to help with depth. :/

Legacy had a kid transfer from Grace Community (private Christian school), Simeon Garner (JR) who was on the Dave Campbell's TAPPS Preseason All State team. Unfortunately, after playing really well, he sustained a lower leg injury and is out for the year. Hopefully he will come back strong next year. Legacy also lost their kicker/punter to a torn ACL. Pretty rough start to the year.

Next up, John Tyler in the Rose City Rivalry. I am looking forward to the game, the Lions have some major talent. Derick McFall of course, but their QB is a sophomore named Caden Granberry who is listed at 5-6, 140 lbs. No joke. Dude is an ATHLETE though. They also have one of the top 2027 players in the nation, Cadarius McMiller. He prob won't play much, but his 8th grade highlight reel is fun

Also, random stat from East Texas that I thought was a typo: #2 Chapel Hill beat Gilmer 71-53 last week. Their QB Demetrius Brisbon had 321 yards RUSHING, their RB Rickey Stewart totaled 278. Both are juniors. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Dignan said:

Also, random stat from East Texas that I thought was a typo: #2 Chapel Hill beat Gilmer 71-53 last week. Their QB Demetrius Brisbon had 321 yards RUSHING, their RB Rickey Stewart totaled 278. Both are juniors. 

Brisbon and Stewart led that team to the 4AD1 semis last season as sophs.   That team will score a ton of points this season. 

19 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The 83 Daingerfield team is the most dominant high school team to ever grace a field. Fight me. 

I know the Daingerfield 1983 team argument and still think Big Sandy 1975 was more dominant. Big Sandy went 14–0 with a state record 11 shutouts, outscoring opponents 824–15. The offense scored a still national record 114 rushing touchdowns. David Overstreet had 52 of them and never played beyond the first half. That team also had Lovie Smith leading it on defense.

• Hook 'Em 3

I enjoy this discussion every time it comes. 1996 Lewisville Fighting Farmers never get enough credit. 15-0 outscored their playoff opponents 225-59.

I remember watching them roll over Judson in the title game. Option left, option right. Repeat, repeat, repeat 10 yards a pop

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I know the Daingerfield 1983 team argument and still think Big Sandy 1975 was more dominant. Big Sandy went 14–0 with a state record 11 shutouts, outscoring opponents 824–15. The offense scored a still national record 114 rushing touchdowns. David Overstreet had 52 of them and never played beyond the first half. That team also had Lovie Smith leading it on defense.

For sure a great team.  The Tigers gave up a single TD all year - and that was to a team 2 classifications higher (Carthage).They had three 1,000 yard rushers. So many great Texas teams. That Katy team was phenomenal too. Great high school football teams are special - I tend to like the ones who aren’t ranked because they score a billion points via spread offenses (hi, Allen). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

For sure a great team.  The Tigers gave up a single TD all year - and that was to a team 2 classifications higher (Carthage).They had three 1,000 yard rushers. So many great Texas teams. That Katy team was phenomenal too. Great high school football teams are special - I tend to like the ones who aren’t ranked because they score a billion points via spread offenses (hi, Allen). 

It's fun,  but impossible to compare eras.  

What if '85 Yates had the strength and conditioning the Allen teams had,  or what if  Allen had the lack of S&C Yates had.  How would that work out if it were equal?

The teams today are unbelievable. Just rewatch Duncanville vs North Shore from last year.  That was a war and no teams from the Yates era with their S&C could have stood a chance with them.  Give them the coaching and S&C the players get today,   game on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/30/2023 at 9:19 PM, Laga4 said:

It's fun,  but impossible to compare eras.  

What if '85 Yates had the strength and conditioning the Allen teams had,  or what if  Allen had the lack of S&C Yates had.  How would that work out if it were equal?

The teams today are unbelievable. Just rewatch Duncanville vs North Shore from last year.  That was a war and no teams from the Yates era with their S&C could have stood a chance with them.  Give them the coaching and S&C the players get today,   game on. 

You can’t compare the athleticism, but I put a LOT of weight on teams that tore through their opponents pre-1990 and definitely pre-4 team playoffs and the split divisions in the lower class. 

It’s a different thing to beat the hell out of a district champion or runner up each week in the playoffs than it is to get a tune up against a .500 or worse squad in bi-district and then often a so-so team in the next round, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

@Helobious don't sleep on my Weslaco Panthers this year. Shut out an overmatched Mercedes last week 34-0 and bullied Harlingen South tonight 24-6. Defense has yet to give up any points (South scored on a blocked punt). Might make some noise in district this year.

Yeah sepulveda is a good athlete back there at QB and that defense is no joke. District should be a slugfest. I guess that Lefevre guy is coaching at Donna high now. His son is a 6’4 junior and threw for almost 400 yards last week. His older son was a beast QB for Weslaco East a few years ago, but he was mostly a runner. 

Not a valley team but shoutout to Laredo United for beating SA Marshall 34-7 tonight. They’ve taken it to more than a few SA teams in pre-district games the past few seasons.

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah sepulveda is a good athlete back there at QB and that defense is no joke. District should be a slugfest. I guess that Lefevre guy is coaching at Donna high now. His son is a 6’4 junior and threw for almost 400 yards last week. 

Does not compute. I'm pretty sure Donna High was was trying to run power I during 7-on-7 when I was in high school lol

Offense is athletic, but it's definitely the defense that's going to carry us. We'll see how far.

Week 2 Friday Games:

El Paso Coronado @ Canutillo

Rio Rancho, NM @ El Paso Eastlake

Las Cruces, NM @ El Paso Eastwood

El Paso El Dorado @ El Paso Chapin

El Paso Franklin @ El Paso Andress

San Angelo Central @ El Paso Montwood

El Paso Pebble Hills @ El Paso Del Valle

El Paso Socorro @ El Paso Bel Air

Midland @ Lubbock Coronado

Amarillo Tascosa @ Midland Legacy

Odessa Permian @ Hewitt Midway