2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

Yesterday, I got to attend the Texas Regional Elite 11 QB competition. THere are 8 regionals in all with the best QB's getting to attend the finals in June.

There were some talented QB's there. I was very impressed w Desoto's QB. Aledo's QB had the best shuttle time. No one was outright invited to the finals, although they will invite players at a later date. 

IMG-2923.jpg 

IMG-2924.jpg

The experts confer:

IMG-2925.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know this isn’t the recruiting thread but Aledo’s QB changed his ‘24 commitment to TCU. The kid is super fast. Saw plenty of occasions he was able to just get to a sideline and out sprint everyone. That’s not normal in 5A D1. I believe his mom was a collegiate (if not higher level) sprinter.

• 2 months later...

New turf, who dis? 4ba799a00ee2ebc5a0459ddea75a205d.jpg

Before last year Aledo got brand new turf on the football field. They added the orange States of Texas for each championship. This past year they had the track replaced and the company that did that damaged the track and payed for a brand new field. Added the shadow of Texas at midfield.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Plorant said:

That makes me wish that UT would do that big shadow Texas too with a burnt orange Longhorn at the 50.

Texas has exactly that.

image.png.9d89489c4cdb70f050d08dc16cdb50e0.png

I am probably in the minority but I can't stand it and I'm sick of every field/court in the state having it.  I get that we all love the state, but ffs - we all know where we live.  No opponent needs to check a map to know who they're playing.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Texas has exactly that.

I am probably in the minority but I can't stand it and I'm sick of every field/court in the state having it.  I get that we all love the state, but ffs - we all know where we live.  No opponent needs to check a map to know who they're playing.

You know. But most of the people watching on TV are from somewhere else.

The score chiron w/ the team name might give it away.  Or the guide on their TV.  Or the burnt orange jerseys with TEXAS on the front.  Maybe the longhorns on the helmet.  God forbid someone turn on the game when the teams are in the red (McCombs!) zone...how on earth would they know who's playing then? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, Mittens said:

Texas has exactly that.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:13 PM, Mittens said:

The score chiron w/ the team name might give it away.  Or the guide on their TV.  Or the burnt orange jerseys with TEXAS on the front.  Maybe the longhorns on the helmet.  God forbid someone turn on the game when the teams are in the red (McCombs!) zone...how on earth would they know who's playing then? 

stripes lighten GIF

and you're bitching about it on the recruiting board in a thread literally titled 2023 Texas High School Football 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Rage+1 1

I’m looking forward to seeing Tyler Legacy this season with new HC Beau Trahan. I don’t think they’ll be GREAT, but improved over last year. Their problem is the offensive line. Last year, I believe they had two freshman starting. Hard to believe the lack of talent/depth they have on the OL. If they improve there they will be competitive at least against most teams in their district.

QB is Luke Wolf, a senior who isn’t the best thrower, but man is he electric running the ball. I could easily see him moving to WR at the collegiate level. Think he is listed at 6-4 and had on of the fastest 40s on the team.

The rest of the position players are talented, but will need to take pressure off of Wolf by making plays. Again, a lot rests on the OL making holes.

The defense has a lot coming back including LB Brooks Gallagher. I think the dude had like 900 tackles last year. He isn’t impressive looking, maybe 5-9, 195, but he can play. Add TCU signee Travis Jackson and the D has some talented leadership. They have a lot coming back in the defensive backfield as well.

Anyway, looking forward to see what Coach Beau can do.

Had a parent/player mandatory meeting today at 2P for the upcoming season at TXK pleasant grove.

Always tough scheduling games since we don’t work with a true radius like most teams. Our shit is an acute angle so we have to play random teams like midland Christian.

Anyhow, DCTF is doing it right on the covers. I wonder how many covers they did across the state? A few hundred at least?

19dc72ff1081f5d39202a5492970318c.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markstanco said:

Had a parent/player mandatory meeting today at 2P for the upcoming season at TXK pleasant grove.

Always tough scheduling games since we don’t work with a true radius like most teams. Our shit is an acute angle so we have to play random teams like midland Christian.

Anyhow, DCTF is doing it right on the covers. I wonder how many covers they did across the state? A few hundred at least?

19dc72ff1081f5d39202a5492970318c.jpg

Pretty sure those are fundraisers, I'd say way fewer than that

Todd Grahm was a name kicked around here a while back was hired as Director of Development and Athletics at Preston Wood in Dallas.

Given the conversation about him as I remember the thread this seems like a very strange hire.

Any thoughts? 

24 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Todd Grahm was a name kicked around here a while back was hired as Director of Development and Athletics at Preston Wood in Dallas.

Given the conversation about him as I remember the thread this seems like a very strange hire.

Any thoughts? 

As a Rice University alum, from my experience he gets excellent results on the field initially, but then manages to piss everybody off in a couple years and then leaves.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, Laga4 said:

Any thoughts? 

Raging asshole.  Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Just in case any of you were planning on doing any exhaustive research into the Austin High Football team I can save you the trouble.

They won't be very good again this year. 4 wins is ceiling. (Like stars line up right and no injuries and lots of breaks go their way)

1st string is decent but falls off a cliff after that. Offense has no real threats and defense will be on field for like 80% of game.

That will be $9.95

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Allen was moving in kids from Minnesota to be a backup QB and this kid can’t play for a district his dad works for?

UIL following NCAA model of consistent application of alleged rules.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:24 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Just in case any of you were planning on doing any exhaustive research into the Austin High Football team I can save you the trouble.

They won't be very good again this year. 4 wins is ceiling. (Like stars line up right and no injuries and lots of breaks go their way)

1st string is decent but falls off a cliff after that. Offense has no real threats and defense will be on field for like 80% of game.

That will be $9.95

This will be my notes on all AISD schools. Thank you

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Let’s take a look at the DUMBEST stadium layout in all of texas HS football. Texarkana Pleasant Grove:

d6bcecc42cf650400c71e3e0f17f23fa.jpg

Enjoy the shade visitor fans and visitor team while the home team and fans bake.

Smells like some Arkansas folk infiltrated the design phase.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Austin High, Anderson and Akins should really be 5A schools playing other Austin ISD 5A schools.  Other than Bowie pulling out the occasional win, there is no reason that AISD schools should be in the same league as Westlake/LT/Dripping Springs or even Hays Johnson.

44 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Other than Bowie pulling out the occasional win, there is no reason that AISD schools should be in the same league as Westlake/LT/Dripping Springs or even Hays Johnson.

Sure, no reason other than location and enrollment numbers.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Austin High, Anderson and Akins should really be 5A schools playing other Austin ISD 5A schools.  Other than Bowie pulling out the occasional win, there is no reason that AISD schools should be in the same league as Westlake/LT/Dripping Springs or even Hays Johnson.

I 100% agree. AISD should have own district with all AISD schools in it. There’s about enough schools to pull off and you can take some xfers from austin high to reduce enrollment if need be. 

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I 100% agree. AISD should have own district with all AISD schools in it. There’s about enough schools to pull off and you can take some xfers from austin high to reduce enrollment if need be. 

Som numbers: Austin ISD has 13 high schools, and this year they are projected to drop below 20,000 high school students.  About half of them attend four schools.  By 2032, they are projected to drop under 18,000 students.  At an average enrollment of 2000, they need 10 schools now and 9 later.  The school district tried to consolidate schools a few years ago but got pushback, so little happened.

Austin High, a few years ago, sent 300-400 kids to LASA and took in 700-800 kids from other schools.  My numbers are a little old, but kids are already transferring all over the district.  They could manage some schools under the 6A limit.  The district, though bond packages, is trying to beef up the quality of the under enrolled schools, but still there are fewer students for the same number of schools.