#8 Texas @ #9 Baylor - 1pm, ESPN

Js1

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Pierce is a very good coach, i cannot believe we still have so many here who don't like him/think he sucks.

It’s baseball. That narrative won’t change until he wins titles, it doesn’t matter how many College Workd Series he makes. 

Frankly I saw a similar - if subdued - narrative regarding Elliott and volleyball before this past season. 

I don’t believe Texas is alone in this dynamic. If a program is used to a certain level of success, but it can’t seem to get over the hump for a certain amount of time, disgruntled voices can emerge. 

The truth is Pierce has a huge amount of support. I don’t believe the naysayers are some kind of massive chorus or anything yet. Loop 1604 is certainly no gauge of anything. No offense Loop 1604. I just find your posts are often idiotic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Rodney Terry is a loser just like Sarkisian. Pierce is probably not a winner. 

Texas sports so unclutch since 2005.

This actually makes me feel better about all 3 hearing you say this, especially knowing that Pierce’s current win % at Texas is the same as Augie freaking Garrdio.

Can 6th street and JFKFC say something similar so we can complete the trifecta? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Pierce is a very good coach, i cannot believe we still have so many here who don't like him/think he sucks.

He's made 3 CWS appearances in the last 4 full seasons and the 2020 team was capable of making the CWS prior to the Covid cancellation. 

It's crazy but about what you expect on a message board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Frankly I saw a similar - if subdued - narrative regarding Elliott and volleyball before this past season. 

This is a good comparison.

It was a small minority that actually thought Elliott was a bad coach just like it is with Pierce. It was nice to see Elliott make those morons look like the idiots they are this season. I hope the same happens with Pierce. 

Yeah, regarding the CWS, it's really about which team is hot more often than not.  Here's a crude analysis:  say each team in the CWS has a 7/8 (0.875) chance of not taking home the title.  It would take just over 5 trips to get to a 50/50 chance of winning the whole thing in a given year.

Yes, it's crude.  It's flawed.  It's also somewhat in line with historical results, save maybe USC.  Augie won 5 times in 15 trips to Omaha (33%).  Cliff only won it 2 times in 17 appearances (12%).  Mike Martin (LOL) never won the CWS in 17 trips.  Mark Marquess brought home 2 titles in 17 trips, just like Gus (12%).  USC has won it 11 times in 21 appearances (52%), all but one under Rod Dedeaux.

Coach Pierce is doing just fine.

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Well, I think it part perception left over from him essentially being the first guy they got to on the list who would take the job. Remember all those guys who got raises the moment we tried to talk to them?

The same stigma will attach to RT if they end up hiring him because it is an acknowledgment that no one better was available. 

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Well, I think it part perception left over from him essentially being the first guy they got to on the list who would take the job. Remember all those guys who got raises the moment we tried to talk to them?

The same stigma will attach to RT if they end up hiring him because it is an acknowledgment that no one better was available. 

That hiring process was a giant clusterfuck. 

But so was the hiring process for guys like Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel. Hiring the right coach is such a spin of the roulette wheel anyway. There’s no telling if any of those others would have been better at Texas. 

One thing I admire about Pierce. The guy has a burning desire to win titles. You don’t make 3 CWS appearances and then fire your #1 assistant that has been with you for years unless you’re a proponent of the “Good is the enemy of Great” maxim. Doesn’t mean the program takes a step to the next level, but it does mean that’s Pierce’s standard as much and more than any fan critiquing from the stands. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2023 at 9:14 PM, Valmy77 said:

I mean it is one thing for there to be bad things happening on campus. Bad things happen everywhere.

baylor can blow me.

This isn't towards you because I've read the same shit +200 times over the past 20 years, this is a side rant... I fucking loath hearing or reading the shit you just said. It's basically just shrugging shoulders in regards to sexual assault.

We should never be resigned with, or be OK that assault, "happens everywhere" . The reality is we have a massive fucking problem and like most campuses across the USA, it's believed that sexual assaults are greatly under reported.

end rant.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Wow. Talking David Pierce and sexual assault in a basketball game thread....

You know your team sucked ass when people are talking about the worst college sport to close out a game thread. 

Maybe CDC gets this coaching search right but the odds are completely against us. 

This season is all but over. This team doesn't have the coaching or balls to win under March lose 1 and you're done conditions

Edited by Hermanator

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You know your team sucked ass when people are talking about the worst college sport to close out a game thread. 

Maybe CDC gets this coaching search right but the odds are completely against us. 

This season is all but over. This team doesn't have the coaching or balls to win under March lose 1 and you're done conditions

Wait what? College baseball is the worst college sport? You need your ass kicked for saying garbage like that 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Wait what? College baseball is the worst college sport? You need your ass kicked for saying garbage like that 

Baseball is the worst sport anyway (not counting golf which is an activity and not a sport) and since the majority of top talent goes right to the minors the level of play in college is basically intramurals compared to Major League Baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Baseball is the worst sport anyway (not counting golf which is an activity and not a sport) and since the majority of top talent goes right to the minors the level of play in college is basically intramurals compared to Major League Baseball. 

On the contrary that makes it the best sport. Everybody stays for at least three seasons. 

And that might change anyway. More big money is coming to College Baseball these days than minor league baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2023 at 7:00 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Eight of Baylor's free throws were after deliberate fouls by Texas in the last minute. Texas also missed the front end of several one and ones. Fouls were pretty even until about six minutes left. Baylor got up by fourteen and the Horns went to a full court press and took chances on defense. It worked, some. The Horns got several turnovers and took it down to a seven point deficit in the final minute. 

This might be true but Texas still hit more FG's and 3's than Baylor. The only difference is made FT's.  Which means they were the more aggressive team and got to thebline more regularly than we did even considering the end of game FT's.