Manhattan @ Texas Weekend Series

zlavydra

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Wasn’t there a bet on here that we wouldn’t score 6 or more runs in a certain amount of games this year?  Seems like we are closing in on whatever that number was..

I think there was a note that it had to be against power 5 teams. 

17 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

It has been said before and I’ll say it again: LBJ should move ahead of him. I’m not sure Sthele is a pure starter. After about 50 pitches, he loses his stuff. 

Surely this will happen soon … right? 

5 hours ago, Levi said:

I think there was a note that it had to be against power 5 teams. 

We still have not scored 6 runs against a team that anyone here would think was worth a shit.  Luckily they included conference as well.

There was discussion about if Cal State Fullerton met the requirements.. but it turned out to be moot.

5 minutes ago, petscii said:

We still have not scored 6 runs against a team that anyone here would think was worth a shit.  Luckily they included conference as well.

There was discussion about if Cal State Fullerton met the requirements.. but it turned out to be moot.

They would in my book. I think you can put Sam Houston as one that counts. Baseball is different because you can have non power five schools be better than actual power five schools. Same with basketball. 

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

They would in my book. I think you can put Sam Houston as one that counts. Baseball is different because you can have non power five schools be better than actual power five schools. Same with basketball. 

I would count CSF every day, but probably not Sam Houston.  I'd probably count air force and Texas State.  No San Jose state either.

9 minutes ago, petscii said:

I would count CSF every day, but probably not Sam Houston.  I'd probably count air force and Texas State.  No San Jose state either.

I might be too hasty about Sam Houston.  And too nice to Texas State.   Totally wrong on Air Force.

Edited by petscii

18 hours ago, petscii said:

I might be too hasty about Sam Houston.  And too nice to Texas State.   Totally wrong on Air Force.

Sam has had a decent or very good baseball program since the 70's-80's.

They get a lot of kids that do not qualify for the bigger schools (grades or just overlooked) and do well there. Usually at least 2 or more good starters and guys that can hit the ball. Not dissing them, but they are a 4 yr JUCO with players similar to those that go to San Jac or Blinn (both very good baseball schools. 

Texas State has done well with their program but there is a lot of competition locally for students/talent that they would attract to go elsewhere.

Air Force was decent last year but still needed some late magic to just get in the tourney. Losing Skenes did not help. This year, they are not very good.

23 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I’m not sure Sthele is a pure starter. After about 50 pitches, he loses his stuff. 

He showed that last year and is doing it again this year. He starts fading in the 4th or 5th inning and then starts throwing BP. He should be moved to a middle reliever role or an inning or two late.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Sam has had a decent or very good baseball program since the 70's-80's.

They get a lot of kids that do not qualify for the bigger schools (grades or just overlooked) and do well there. Usually at least 2 or more good starters and guys that can hit the ball. Not dissing them, but they are a 4 yr JUCO with players similar to those that go to San Jac or Blinn (both very good baseball schools. 

Texas State has done well with their program but there is a lot of competition locally for students/talent that they would attract to go elsewhere.

Air Force was decent last year but still needed some late magic to just get in the tourney. Losing Skenes did not help. This year, they are not very good.

I just went through and checked recent ncaa tournament appearances, not "who's friday starter gave us a hard time on a Tuesday"

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

All good. 

My post wasn't meant to be a disagreement of yours.

Yeah, I mean that I was way too nice to some schools and way to critical of others based on my experiences when they played Texas and not some larger metric.

We play some serious cupcakes sometimes.  :)

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, petscii said:

Yeah, I mean that I was way too nice to some schools and way to critical of others based on my experiences when they played Texas and not some larger metric.

We play some serious cupcakes sometimes.  :)

No doubt 👆. But last years schedule was really over the top.

I get that you want good competition, but that always doesn't get you good playing time for your non-starters. They can miss out on some valuable game situations and experience playing those bigger schools cuz you're trying to get that RPI up (I feel that RPI should include some games that a program could drop or not count against them).

This year's schedule is definitely not as top heavy, and while they are lesser schools/programs, with our weather ( especially this yr) it's easy to forget that there is still plenty of snow north of the Red River, and northern schools are trying to get in as many games as possible and against quality (and historic, if possible) teams.

Manhattan is definitely at a different level than us, but those kids now have a lifelong memory of coming to Austin (getting great weather) and playing a series against a 6x National Champion in a park that is surely much bigger than what they may be used too. I was at all three games and while they had their mistakes, great plays or hits were recognized by the TEXAS fan base. Schools build their programs by seeking out these type of series or even single games.

• Like 2