Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, as soon as we’re unranked we’re good.

If they drop us out, you’re fucked. If they keep us in, it’s gonna be a bounce back win for the Horns.

Real underachieving season for Campbell...   should have been easy road to B12 Championship Game this year 

They’ll be announcing the kickoff time for this game late tonight.  Somebody post it from social media so we can start drinking accordingly.  I’m guessing 6:00p on FS1 or who gives a shit.  Longhorn Fall World Series is Saturday at 2:00p.  That’s where I’ll be.    

we are are gonna be 4-5 in precisely seven days from this exact moment.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

They’ll be announcing the kickoff time for this game late tonight.  Somebody post it from social media so we can start drinking accordingly.  I’m guessing 6:00p on FS1 or who gives a shit.  Longhorn Fall World Series is Saturday at 2:00p.  That’s where I’ll be.    

I'm guessing a smooth 10 to 14 point win for ISU but without the fade in the 4th quarter drama.  this team is broken.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well, I was close.  

it’s not exactly Death Valley, but it’s a tough venue    By 6:30p, it’ll be cold, dark, drunk, and loud.  By the second half, it’ll be Texas Worse   

West Virginia's season has been a roller coaster, bad losses early, but they seem to be coming on.  The win was no fluke (even with ref help).  Neal Brown is a damn good coach, I'm just not sure if he can deliver consistency up there.

But my guess is WVa will be a tougher game or at least as tough as Iowa State.  I don't see any way they win that one in Hooterville.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Does Iowa st suck in the 4th qtr? Asking for a friend.

WVU outscored them 14-0 in the 4th.  We’ll have our hands full in Ames and Morgantown.  I fear we’re gonna be sweating out a K-State win to become bowl eligible.

Does Iowa st suck in the 4th qtr? Asking for a friend.

We did yesterday, but we’ve generally been good in the 4th this year.

Well, actually we scored a TD in the 4th that was taken off the board and WVU scored on a 4th down where they were allowed to snap the ball a full second after the play clock hit 0.

So I guess if the rules of the game are properly applied, we’re ok in the 4th

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

We did yesterday, but we’ve generally been good in the 4th this year.

Well, actually we scored a TD in the 4th that was taken off the board and WVU scored on a 4th down where they were allowed to snap the ball a full second after the play clock hit 0.

So I guess if the rules of the game are properly applied, we’re ok in the 4th

I've got some exciting news for you about Texas....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Well, I was close.  

it’s not exactly Death Valley, but it’s a tough venue    By 6:30p, it’ll be cold, dark, drunk, and loud.  By the second half, it’ll be Texas Worse   

It’ll be drunk, dark, and loud, but you guys are getting a break on the weather. I wanted howling wind, snow/sleet, and single digit temps, but it looks like a high of 52 on Saturday and probably like 45 during the game.

Last time I checked, it gets colder as the night progresses in the Midwest…not warmer.  This team cannot handle any adversity in the second half.  So the invariable 5-10 degree drop from kickoff to last whistle is just the kind of shit we can’t handle.  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Last time I checked, it gets colder as the night progresses in the Midwest…not warmer.  This team cannot handle any adversity in the second half.  So the invariable 5-10 degree drop from kickoff to last whistle is just the kind of shit we can’t handle.  

An 11 AM kickoff for this one sure would have been nice...

:)

Yeah. The high is shortly before sundown. If the high is 52, it will probably be in the mid 40’s at kick off.

Mid 40’s isn’t cold. We were below 0 in November of 2019.

Born and raised in cold country, mid 40's is fine to me.  But you have to understand this team.  Mid 40's is just the kind of arctic adversity we cannot handle after halftime.  Plus any wind over 5mph throws off our receiver's timing.  First defensive player whose hand stings a bit after a tackle in sub-50* degree, and all bets are off.  A pleasant Autumnal Evening to you=complete danger shitshow for the Longhorns.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Born and raised in cold country, mid 40's is fine to me.  But you have to understand this team.  Mid 40's is just the kind of arctic adversity we cannot handle after halftime.  Plus any wind over 5mph throws off our receiver's timing.  First defensive player whose hand stings a bit after a tackle in sub-50* degree, and all bets are off.  A pleasant Autumnal Evening to you=complete danger shitshow for the Longhorns.  

Let's be honest.  This team can't handle low-70s and partly cloudy after halftime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The real wild card here are the Big 12 refs. Does their anger with you override the sheer joy they get from fucking us? Tune in

I think you are gonna get the benefit this go around.    I'd be telling your OL to hold their ass off.  Its not going to get called on Texas' opponents.

there is always the potential some rogue ref forgets his orders and makes a shitty call against you on something bang bang.

the refs shouldn't really matter in this one.  ISU should win by 10-14 pretty easy and it could get uglier than that. this team is broken.

I think you are gonna get the benefit this go around.    I'd be telling your OL to hold their ass off.  Its not going to get called on Texas' opponents.
there is always the potential some rogue ref forgets his orders and makes a shitty call against you on something bang bang.
the refs shouldn't really matter in this one.  ISU should win by 10-14 pretty easy and it could get uglier than that. this team is broken.

If Mike Rose plays I could see this.

If he’s out, Bijan will sodomize our LB corps.

Dude, quit being a bad sport.  We're fucked.  What you see as a pleasant November evening...our team sees as horrifying pain.  It'll only be our second game away from home played after dark (and probably the last one of those for the whole season, save for maybe the Cheez-It Bowl).  4th quarter is in the 40's with the wind chill.  And it'll be dark.  And your stadium (I've been there, I remember that raucous Thursday) will be loud and drunk as shit.  

Jokes aside, I think the night-time atmosphere there and our team's ability to sink in the second half is probably worth another 3-6 points for your team beyond the established spread.  If we were playing this game at 11:00 or 2:30p, I'd actually call it a legit "Pick 'Em."  But we are fucked.  

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In all fairness, I want shitty weather any time a Texas school has to come north in November.

Nothing to do with football, it’s just funny watching Southerners squirm in 35 degree weather

Any updates on LB Mike Rose's availability for the Texas game ??   

Also, has Purdy only lost one time in Ames as the starting QB ?? 

Edited by LTtxfan

Any updates on LB Mike Rose's availability for the Texas game ??   
Also, has Purdy only lost one time in Ames as the starting QB ?? 

No idea on Rose. Campbell openly lies about players’ injury status in his media availability so I don’t listen. He’s hugely important to the outcome though.

Yeah, Purdy’s only Big 12 loss at Jack Trice was to OK State in ‘19. He lost to Iowa twice at home too.

13 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No idea on Rose. Campbell openly lies about players’ injury status in his media availability so I don’t listen. He’s hugely important to the outcome though.

Yeah, Purdy’s only Big 12 loss at Jack Trice was to OK State in ‘19. He lost to Iowa twice at home too.

FWIW:  Reported on HornFM today that Matt Campbell said in media availability that he expects Mike Rose to play vs Texas this Saturday

FWIW:  Reported on HornFM today that Matt Campbell said in media availability that he expects Mike Rose to play vs Texas this Saturday

That means absolutely nothing. Campbell “expected” Collin Newell to play all of last year after he got hurt in the first game and he never came back until this year.
  • Haha 1

Will we ever see Hunter Dekkers? 

If the game is more than 20 points either way.

He’ll be the starter next year, and I’m pumped. Great athlete who throws a nice ball. He was the highest rated prep QB in state history, and if he does well it will be a great cap feather in the in-state recruiting game. Iowa, Nebraska, and KSU all wanted him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If the game is more than 20 points either way.

He’ll be the starter next year, and I’m pumped. Great athlete who throws a nice ball. He was the highest rated prep QB in state history, and if he does well it will be a great cap feather in the in-state recruiting game. Iowa, Nebraska, and KSU all wanted him.

That’s cool. Been curious to see what he can do.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Wow, this is a "Tom Herman mensa level" response...  😋

Brady Quinn Was Not A Fan Of Matt Campbell's Viral Press Conference Response

MADELINE COLEMAN

Iowa State's Matt Campbell made waves on Tuesday after saying winning the Big 12 title was not a goal of his, and Brady Quinn seemed flabbergasted by his hot take. 

“I can’t believe he actually said that out loud," the former Notre Dame and Browns quarterback said on CBS Sports HQ on Wednesday. "We're not working for participation trophies. We're trying to win championships and win football games." 

Campbell eventually clarified in his answer, saying, "My goal has always been one thing, and that's to become the best version of ourselves we can become."

After finishing 9–3 and making an appearance in the Big 12 championship game a season ago, Iowa State is 6–4 and in fourth place in the Big 12, its latest loss to a Texas Tech squad with an interim head coach.