Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

• 1 month later...

I've been a fan of Matt Campbell's in the past, but ending up only 7-6 in 2021 and unranked is ridiculous with last year's team.

Iowa State started 2021 ranked #7 in the AP.

This media response last year was terrible...

I'm sure Iowa State fans still love the guy, but something was really off with him in 2021.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I've been a fan of Matt Campbell's in the past, but ending up only 7-6 in 2021 and unranked is ridiculous with last year's team.

Iowa State started 2021 ranked #7 in the AP.

This media response last year was terrible...

I'm sure Iowa State fans still love the guy, but something was really off with him in 2021.  

That is the most Mack response I've ever heard from someone not named Mack Brown.

• Rage+1 1

Me when I see blue blood fans cooling on Matt Campbell.

giphy.gif

And yeah, I was completely disappointed by last season's results (WVU and Tech games in particular), and thought that was a dumb answer from Campbell, but none of it really changed my opinion on that guy.  If he can average 7-8 wins a year and compete for a conference title once or twice a decade (he's already about doing that), then I (and every other ISU fan I know) will be elated.  He just has to be Kirk Ferentz.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Go ahead and criticize.  They did a poor job last year.  I WANT him to be nationally criticized.

But it isn't because I feel that it's deserved so much as despite last year's disappointment, I really want him to continue to being ISU's coach, and if he every so often has a clunker year that keeps him from a bigger job, I'll be pleased.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Damn, almost missed this CTJ post talking about Matt Campbell yesterday:

Matt Campbell’s agent and the money had already agreed to high level terms the prior year and Del Conte balked, wanting to give Herman another year to “prove himself”, which worked out well. Campbell turned down the Lions job about a month or so later for like $8million/year and decided to focus on pursuing a conference title and legacy at Iowa State. He then proceeded to shit himself under the pressure of expectations and ISU fans proceeded to call me a liar and motherfucker and claim to this day that Sweet Matt Campbell will never leave there. Now that we can see that he’s great as an underdog and can’t handle pressure, I think Ames is a perfect spot for him too. 

Looks like you're safe keeping MC @Al_4_ISU 

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Damn, almost missed this CTJ post talking about Matt Campbell yesterday:

Matt Campbell’s agent and the money had already agreed to high level terms the prior year and Del Conte balked, wanting to give Herman another year to “prove himself”, which worked out well. Campbell turned down the Lions job about a month or so later for like $8million/year and decided to focus on pursuing a conference title and legacy at Iowa State. He then proceeded to shit himself under the pressure of expectations and ISU fans proceeded to call me a liar and motherfucker and claim to this day that Sweet Matt Campbell will never leave there. Now that we can see that he’s great as an underdog and can’t handle pressure, I think Ames is a perfect spot for him too. 

Looks like you're safe keeping MC @Al_4_ISU 

Lulz.  Campbell doesn't even have an agent.  He wasn't coming to Texas even if he did.

I'll never say that Campbell wouldn't leave ISU.  I've always expected he would, but Texas is like the exact opposite in what he wants in a job.  He hates the spotlight, hates glad handing, and hates dealing with boosters who think they should be able to make his coaching decisions.  ISU allows him to be private and do whatever the fuck he wants, which I think is the most important thing to him.

When he leaves, it will be for a place that's willing to get the fuck out of his way, and Texas isn't that.  Besides, UT would have fired him for last season.

CTJ has a track record of hating ISU anyhow.  His shit is suspect on the topic, IMO.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Lulz.  Campbell doesn't even have an agent.  He wasn't coming to Texas even if he did.

I'll never say that Campbell wouldn't leave ISU.  I've always expected he would, but Texas is like the exact opposite in what he wants in a job.  He hates the spotlight, hates glad handing, and hates dealing with boosters who think they should be able to make his coaching decisions.  ISU allows him to be private and do whatever the fuck he wants, which I think is the most important thing to him.

When he leaves, it will be for a place that's willing to get the fuck out of his way, and Texas isn't that.  Besides, UT would have fired him for last season.

CTJ has a track record of hating ISU anyhow.  His shit is suspect on the topic, IMO.

1) Campbell has somebody that talks for him. If you believe otherwise, you're living in fantasyland.

2) You're not the only ISU poster here or elsewhere with whom I interact. You're just the most insecure. I wasn't directly referencing anything you've said, but yeah, we've read your screeds on why Campbell loves Ames. 

3) I remember reading last year when Notre Dame fans enumerated the ways in which Kelly was happy and would never leave for sunnier digs. The whole "He'd never go to a place like Texas" refrain is silly. You nor I know what the guy would do next time around if Texas threw $7.5M/yr/7yrs at the guy.

4) I've been consistent since November of 2019 stating that Campbell was interested in the Texas job and CDC fucked it up. I didn't post that to club baby seals and troll the 5 ISU people here. You don't have to believe a lick of it, but you don't add anything with the whole "he'd never go to Texas" silliness. The notion that I could possibly find a way to "hate" ISU is so absurd that it's beyond words. Hate requires energy and some form of righteous contempt. I don't have the energy to hate a harmless, innocuous, irrelevant entity like ISU. I don't hate schools because they beat Texas. I don't mind ISU, KU, KSU, or Tech and all of those schools beat Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Iowa State gonna Wrangler NIL

Isn't that kinda against the NIL state laws for Texas though? I mean not that anyone will enforce it and it really doesn't make a shit but technically though can they combine Longhorn branded stuff and NIL deals?  

30 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Isn't that kinda against the NIL state laws for Texas though? I mean not that anyone will enforce it and it really doesn't make a shit but technically though can they combine Longhorn branded stuff and NIL deals?  

May not violate branding rules since just the word Longhorns was used ??

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

1) Campbell has somebody that talks for him. If you believe otherwise, you're living in fantasyland.

2) You're not the only ISU poster here or elsewhere with whom I interact. You're just the most insecure. I wasn't directly referencing anything you've said, but yeah, we've read your screeds on why Campbell loves Ames. 

3) I remember reading last year when Notre Dame fans enumerated the ways in which Kelly was happy and would never leave for sunnier digs. The whole "He'd never go to a place like Texas" refrain is silly. You nor I know what the guy would do next time around if Texas threw $7.5M/yr/7yrs at the guy.

4) I've been consistent since November of 2019 stating that Campbell was interested in the Texas job and CDC fucked it up. I didn't post that to club baby seals and troll the 5 ISU people here. You don't have to believe a lick of it, but you don't add anything with the whole "he'd never go to Texas" silliness. The notion that I could possibly find a way to "hate" ISU is so absurd that it's beyond words. Hate requires energy and some form of righteous contempt. I don't have the energy to hate a harmless, innocuous, irrelevant entity like ISU. I don't hate schools because they beat Texas. I don't mind ISU, KU, KSU, or Tech and all of those schools beat Texas.

I dunno, a whole paragraph explaining how little you care seems like the opposite of not caring.

Yeah, Campbell has a private attorney that helps broker his deals.  I guess that's an agent technically, but it's not like the guy is a professional sports agent that 99% of coaches hire - I'm pretty sure Campbell is the only coach he represents.  Campbell would be more likely to entertain the Texas job now that it won't take him back to Ames, but I just don't see him jiving with the Texas culture at all.  The Notre Dame job concerned me far more.  I have no doubt he'd have taken that if offered.  Same with Michigan or Ohio State.  But not Texas.

I also doubt you'd (the collective you) be happy with his results and he'd be run out of town in 3 seasons like everyone else over the last 15 years.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I dunno, a whole paragraph explaining how little you care seems like the opposite of not caring.

Yeah, Campbell has a private attorney that helps broker his deals.  I guess that's an agent technically, but it's not like the guy is a professional sports agent that 99% of coaches hire - I'm pretty sure Campbell is the only coach he represents.  Campbell would be more likely to entertain the Texas job now that it won't take him back to Ames, but I just don't see him jiving with the Texas culture at all.  The Notre Dame job concerned me far more.  I have no doubt he'd have taken that if offered.  Same with Michigan or Ohio State.  But not Texas.

I also doubt you'd (the collective you) be happy with his results and he'd be run out of town in 3 seasons like everyone else over the last 15 years.

1) I never said shit about not caring. I can't figure out if it is just a reading comprehension thing or if you're just intellectually lazy with this shit. It is bizarre to quote someone and then misquote them in your response. I care plenty about CFB and Texas opponents, almost religiously. I said I don't have the energy to hate ISU, and I don't. Nor the inclination, since it seems like mostly a nice school and folks involved with it. 

2) We spend hours a day on a fan forum talking about meaningless shit, passionately. Maybe it is your thing to feign indifference like a cool kid or something, but I am unapologetic when it comes to arguing positions and being voluminous when it suits me in conversation here.

3) This goes back to rhetorical tactics. You knew the whole time what I meant when using the common term "agent", but you wanted to show us how smart you are and, by reference, how uninformed I am. 

4) I've always been a more ardent proponent for Campbell than anyone else I know. I don't think he'd be high on the list going forward. His early season struggles coupled with last season make his ceiling hard to fathom. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) I never said shit about not caring. I can't figure out if it is just a reading comprehension thing or if you're just intellectually lazy with this shit. It is bizarre to quote someone and then misquote them in your response. I care plenty about CFB and Texas opponents, almost religiously. I said I don't have the energy to hate ISU, and I don't. Nor the inclination, since it seems like mostly a nice school and folks involved with it. 

2) We spend hours a day on a fan forum talking about meaningless shit, passionately. Maybe it is your thing to feign indifference like a cool kid or something, but I am unapologetic when it comes to arguing positions and being voluminous when it suits me in conversation here.

3) This goes back to rhetorical tactics. You knew the whole time what I meant when using the common term "agent", but you wanted to show us how smart you are and, by reference, how uninformed I am. 

4) I've always been a more ardent proponent for Campbell than anyone else I know. I don't think he'd be high on the list going forward. His early season struggles coupled with last season make his ceiling hard to fathom. 

"I don't have the energy to hate a harmless, innocuous, irrelevant entity like ISU."  I guess you didn't literally use the word "care", congrats.  But I'm the one playing silly rhetorical tricks?

If you've found anything in my posting to be "feigned indifference", perhaps you're the one with the poor reading comprehension.  I give a whole bunch of fucks about this shit.  I often wish I didn't, especially given the constant shafting of my preferred institution.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

"I don't have the energy to hate a harmless, innocuous, irrelevant entity like ISU."  I guess you didn't literally use the word "care", congrats.  But I'm the one playing silly rhetorical tricks?

If you've found anything in my posting to be "feigned indifference", perhaps you're the one with the poor reading comprehension.  I give a whole bunch of fucks about this shit.  I often wish I didn't, especially given the constant shafting of my preferred institution.

If you know how you feel about being on here, why intimate to another regular poster on the board they're doing it wrong by "writing a whole paragraph" to respond to you? That's the fallacy of asymmetric insight in action. "I'm on here for righteous reasons. This other guy? He's the wrong and crazy one, look at how seriously he takes this!?" Right. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If you know how you feel about being on here, why intimate to another regular poster on the board they're doing it wrong by "writing a whole paragraph" to respond to you? That's the fallacy of asymmetric insight in action. "I'm on here for righteous reasons. This other guy? He's the wrong and crazy one, look at how seriously he takes this!?" Right. 

You were the one who wrote a paragraph about how you couldn't muster an emotional response to something (the less wealthy schools with smaller fanbases), not me.  The clear gist of your previous post was supposed to be the Don Draper "I don't even think about you" meme, but you spent a few words explaining it - which indicates that you do think about it.  Unless you're just gaslighting the piss out of me here, you made a point to inform me of how little mental energy you expend on my school (and others like it).

I'd have to imagine every single person that posts on this board gives a considerable fuck about college athletics.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You were the one who wrote a paragraph about how you couldn't muster an emotional response to something (the less wealthy schools with smaller fanbases), not me.  The clear gist of your previous post was supposed to be the Don Draper "I don't even think about you" meme, but you spent a few words explaining it - which indicates that you do think about it.  Unless you're just gaslighting the piss out of me here, you made a point to inform me of how little mental energy you expend on my school (and others like it).

I'd have to imagine every single person that posts on this board gives a considerable fuck about college athletics.

I don't know, man, your insecurities about how you think people perceive your school are showing. I didn't play the Don Draper card. I said I couldn't muster the energy to hate ISU or other schools in the same bucket in my head.

It's a big leap to turn that into your logic in this last post. It's not that complicated. I don't love or hate your school. It doesn't drive that kind of emotion or energy for me. I do pay attention to it and watch its athletic programs, though. I'd generally prefer to see them win than lose, even though I despise this conference. See, I have the energy to fucking hate the Big 12. It's mattered to me and has effected my fandom. 

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know, man, your insecurities about how you think people perceive your school are showing. I didn't play the Don Draper card. I said I couldn't muster the energy to hate ISU or other schools in the same bucket in my head.

It's a big leap to turn that into your logic in this last post. It's not that complicated. I don't love or hate your school. It doesn't drive that kind of emotion or energy for me. I do pay attention to it and watch its athletic programs, though. I'd generally prefer to see them win than lose, even though I despise this conference. See, I have the energy to fucking hate the Big 12. It's mattered to me and has effected my fandom. 

Is it insecurity if it's real?  Insecurity is an attractive woman thinking everyone thinks they're fat when almost no one does.  There are a whole lot of people that think it would be just awesome for college football to flush programs like ISU, Tech, KSU, and OK State down the drain - and have zero issues with Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Maryland suckling at the proverbial teat.  

The old "are you paranoid if they really ARE out to get you" bit comes to mind here.  Perhaps there's a level of insecurity in assuming you feel that way (although you'd have to admit a level of outright dismissal of these institutions at more than one occasion), but I can assure you that in the greater population, that sentiment is very real, very prevalent, and has been beaten over the skulls of these respective fanbases for the past 12 years.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is it insecurity if it's real?  Insecurity is an attractive woman thinking everyone thinks they're fat when almost no one does.  There are a whole lot of people that think it would be just awesome for college football to flush programs like ISU, Tech, KSU, and OK State down the drain - and have zero issues with Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Maryland suckling at the proverbial teat.  

The old "are you paranoid if they really ARE out to get you" bit comes to mind here.  Perhaps there's a level of insecurity in assuming you feel that way (although you'd have to admit a level of outright dismissal of these institutions at more than one occasion), but I can assure you that in the greater population, that sentiment is very real, very prevalent, and has been beaten over the skulls of these respective fanbases for the past 12 years.

If there's some sort of trash talking opportunity on a thread somewhere, of course it's an easy, if unoriginal, go-to to dismiss schools like Iowa State as relevant. That wasn't what I did previously and isn't how I see the program. I just said I couldn't muster the energy for hate for them or others.

I realize that there is a sentiment out there that the smaller schools are useless in the greater scheme and that they should just go away. Similarly, there is a sentiment from some of the same folks that there are too many bowls and too many games. I don't share any of that. I like watching CFB and watch 40 non-UT games a week to every UT game I see. 

Now, when it comes to conference realignment and such, yes, I couldn't wait to get out of the Big 12 and didn't care on any level what that meant to anyone else. That's not intending harm, just wanting UT to look out for itself and get its shit together. That view was cemented after the UNL/ATM/CU/Missouri bullshit.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

WTF is this? UAB's stadium holds 47K, UMass 17K. USF and Temple play in NFL stadiums, capacity would be half if custom built for their programs (Pitt and Miami could probably at least support something close to the NFL stadiums they play in). UTSA also plays in a stadium built for the NFL and has nothing to do with their status as a program. Even with accurate numbers, this list is really meaningless. Any program that can support 50K plus is P5 standard.

On 9/3/2022 at 6:31 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Spoiler alert: we won’t beat Iowa

The Hawkeyes lead the all-time in-state series — a battle for the Cy-Hawk Trophy — 46-22.  

Iowa State hasn’t beaten Iowa since 2014,

giphy.gif

and this time around, it may have the more talented roster. Iowa’s strength isn’t in the pass game, so if the Cyclones can get up early, the Hawkeyes may struggle to regain that lead.

C'mon Cyclones... BEAT IOWA !!! 😎

• 2 weeks later...