Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

No, he was wrong. Winning creates a good culture much much more than vice versa. Same for losing and bad culture. When teams have success their players and fans love to think it's because they're great people with a great culture.Β 
So weird how the culture in Ames got worse as soon as their starting NFL QB and RB left town. What a coincidence.
Every single preseason beat writers for every single program talk about what great chemistry the team is developing and how leaders are stepping up and the coaches have really instilled the culture they want blah, blah, blah. Those stories continue all season for the teams that win and stop for the teams that lose. It's all standard sports fairy tale stuff.
This is not to say that individual shitheads and leaders don't exist. But winning cures all and losing exposes the problems. Every team has good guys and punks.Β 

I agree with a lot of this, but there are just too many examples of low talent try-hards becoming winners and high talent shit heads becoming losers for me to say culture is just purely a result of winning and losing.

The myth of culture is that it’s inherent to an institution. It’s a choice made by the people involved.
  • Like 1

Well shit, WR Arland Bruce transferred from Iowa to OSU, and is part of this mess. He bet more than $4000 on 11 games in which he played. Not sure how big a role he was going to play this season but he fits the mold of small white guy slot receivers that we’ve always had success with, especially since we lost last year’s guy to TCU. Doubt he plays now.

Why not just bet on other teams’ games? Even if you take your own team to win, if you’re down you might get desperate a try a little too hard and make a mistake putting your team in a bigger hole. It really is a game of inches, and even minor distractions can make a difference. If you lose focus for even a second worrying about your bet you might drop the ball or miss a block. Other problems could arise if you’re playing the spread or O/U.

I’d have zero problem with betting on other games unless it’s an addiction and causing financial problems. It’s like any other vice, do it all you want if you can do so responsibly.

Edited by 'stache

Just now, 'stache said:

@Al_4_ISU, I think you mentioned earlier that the state investigators are particularly interested in making this a big deal, is there a reason? If any law enforcement in Oklahoma went after OU players for anything the legislature would probably take their badges and deport them to Arkansas.

We have a new attorney general. Β She’s awful. Β Super MAGA/Christian morality bullshit (No CR). Β She hates fun, and I suspect is anti gambling.

I suspect that she, or someone on her staff, wants to show the Iowa public the evils of gambling and ruining our most beloved sports teams is how she’s trying to do that.

But I’m totally spit balling. Β This investigation was only directed at high profile men’s sports at ISU and Iowa. Β They didn’t even look at Northern Iowa or Drake.

There’s an obvious ulterior motive, but what exactly that motive is and who is pushing it isn’t obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:07 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Dekkers has the physical talent to play in the NFL.Β  He has the brain of a dachsund.

Also wanted to chime in that this description also fits Spencer Sanders. Dumbest mother fucker I’ve seen in a while on the field, and even dumber off the field. He would have started here this year and been a legend despite his fuck ups, but instead he transfers, and last I saw will be third string for Lane Kiffin. Just imagine throwing away a starting position and legend status after being sweet talked by Joey Freshwater, all to end up spending you’re sixth year riding the pine like a chump. Pure dumbass.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Also wanted to chime in that this description also fits Spencer Sanders. Dumbest mother fucker I’ve seen in a while on the field, and even dumber off the field. He would have started here this year and been a legend despite his fuck ups, but instead he transfers, and last I saw will be third string for Lane Kiffin. Just imagine throwing away a starting position and legend status after being sweet talked by Joey Freshwater, all to end up spending you’re sixth year riding the pine like a chump. Pure dumbass.

"3rd string in SEC is better than starting in the Big12" - Any Aggie. And probably us too in another year.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Sanders definitely made a dumb move going to Ole Miss, but my memory of him will be straight up balling on us, even when he lost to us.

He’s the only Big 12 QB to beat Brock Purdy at Jack Trice.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

No, he was wrong. Winning creates a good culture much much more than vice versa. Same for losing and bad culture. When teams have success their players and fans love to think it's because they're great people with a great culture.Β 

So weird how the culture in Ames got worse as soon as their starting NFL QB and RB left town. What a coincidence.

Every single preseason beat writers for every single program talk about what great chemistry the team is developing and how leaders are stepping up and the coaches have really instilled the culture they want blah, blah, blah. Those stories continue all season for the teams that win and stop for the teams that lose. It's all standard sports fairy tale stuff.

This is not to say that individual shitheads and leaders don't exist. But winning cures all and losing exposes the problems. Every team has good guys and punks.Β 

I agree with all of this, but wanted to add: Β The exact same player behaviors are reported differently depending on how the team is doing. Β A guy who is always laughing and singing along to his music and playing practical jokes.... when you're 8-0, all his teammates will nod along and smile and say "we like to keep it loose." Β If they're 0-8, then he's a clown who doesn't care about the team.

---

I think that as Texas has been stumbling and bumbling since 2010, this "culture" stuff is often more imagined than real. Β After six years of Vince and Colt, and after a couple MNC games and a couple other top-5 finishes, Mack Brown should have had our roster ***full*** of NFL talent from top to bottom. Β But he didn't. Β He was too busy saying "No, thank you" to RGIII and Johnny Manziel, and Texas spent the next decade playing against guys like that, while our own offenses were led by Case McCoy, Jerrod Heard, and Tyrone Swoopes. Β It was just as bad on the offensive line, where we had another position group that was likely one of the 3- or 4- worst in the conference for a fucking decade.

Was that a "culture" problem? Β I would argue that it was 80% a roster problem - some combo of failing to identify and failing to sign the best players in your home state, and maybe 20% everything else (coaching, strength and conditioning, "culture"). Β I mean, Case and those JAG linemen could have been choirboys with Navy-Seal levels of discipline, and they weren't going to win the conference simply because they had sub-par talent.

Hell, in the Manziel documentary, we saw behind the scenes during his 11-2 freshman season. Β Those Aggie teams didn't have winning "culture." Β Yes, Manziel was a great college QB, but they were a salty team because just before Sumlin took over, Mike Sherman had filled the offensive roster with NFL linemen and skill position players. Β The filmmakers didn't even mention that in passing. Β They just told us that a perennial Big 12 doormat became an SEC juggernaut the day Manziel showed up. Β Without all that other talent around him, his college career would have looked a lot more like Mahomes (brilliant QB talent on a .500 team).

Maybe a better example would be the 1980's Miami teams, who were all about strippers, cocaine, hot tubs, and South Beach nightclubs, and yet played for the national championship year after year after year in spite of their culture. Β Meanwhile, the JAGS playing for the service academies were waking up at 4am, working their asses off for 18 hours a day, and winning jack shit.

tl;dr Β Having more talent than everyone else will get you do double-digit wins WAY more consistently than having "culture."

Β 

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We have a new attorney general. Β She’s awful. Β Super MAGA/Christian morality bullshit (No CR). Β She hates fun, and I suspect is anti gambling.

I suspect that she, or someone on her staff, wants to show the Iowa public the evils of gambling and ruining our most beloved sports teams is how she’s trying to do that.

But I’m totally spit balling. Β This investigation was only directed at high profile men’s sports at ISU and Iowa. Β They didn’t even look at Northern Iowa or Drake.

There’s an obvious ulterior motive, but what exactly that motive is and who is pushing it isn’t obvious.

The thing that gets me with this story is the State of Iowa looked and the data came from the betting sites.Β  Β There is no way in any statistical model I can think of, that this is isolated to Iowa, a state that barely moves the gambling meter on any given day.Β  There are like 35 states that have legal online betting.Β  Β Maybe a poor choice of words, but I'd wager there are a metric shit ton of big programs out there that are praying that their states don't also decide to look at who is betting, and how, now that the road map to find them is laid out publicly.

Another thing I've found funny about this, outside the stupid parents, assuming they knew and the kids just didn't use their info, is how small the bets were.Β  Β We're talking about paying kids 5, 6, 7 digits in NIL, and most of these bets were for $10 or less.

25 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

The thing that gets me with this story is the State of Iowa looked and the data came from the betting sites.Β  Β There is no way in any statistical model I can think of, that this is isolated to Iowa, a state that barely moves the gambling meter on any given day.Β  There are like 35 states that have legal online betting.Β  Β Maybe a poor choice of words, but I'd wager there are a metric shit ton of big programs out there that are praying that their states don't also decide to look at who is betting, and how, now that the road map to find them is laid out publicly.

Another thing I've found funny about this, outside the stupid parents, assuming they knew and the kids just didn't use their info, is how small the bets were.Β  Β We're talking about paying kids 5, 6, 7 digits in NIL, and most of these bets were for $10 or less.

My guess is that the second the story hit, every university president and athletic director ran straight to every head coaches office and told them to put the fear of god into every single player that if you think it's not a big deal to place a few bets from your phone, you're dead wrong, and even a minor bet can kill not only your career, but the entire program. Just don't fucking do it, period. These players will be made an example and will probably never step foot on a college football field again, except maybe in FCS or DII, and probably not even there. Once players see it play out, I don't think any of them will have any desire to take that sort of risk.

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sanders definitely made a dumb move going to Ole Miss, but my memory of him will be straight up balling on us, even when he lost to us.

He’s the only Big 12 QB to beat Brock Purdy at Jack Trice.

He was more bad than good the last few years, but still a turnover machine. His legacy would have been mostly good, based on beating OU and Notre Dame. His legacy now will focus on the bad, like 4 interceptions against Baylor in the 2021 conference championship game, and 4 interceptions in the first fucking half in his last Bedlam game.Β 

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

tl;dr:Β  Having more talent than everyone else will get you to double-digit wins WAY more consistently than having "culture."

Β 

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word."Β  --Professor Irwin Corey

Or, put in context, "You go ahead and coach up the 3-stars; I'll take the 5-stars every time."

Fyi, articleΒ @Al_4_ISUΒ 

"Kirk Ferentz updates Iowa gambling scandal, says "it's curious" Iowa is only state with criminal investigation into athletes's actions"

https://footballscoop.com/news/kirk-ferentz-updates-iowa-gambling-scandal-says-its-curious-iowa-is-only-state-with-criminal-investigation-into-athletess-actions

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

13 DAYS TILL 1ST GAME KICKOFF

2193-22053-original.jpeg&ehk=QfNO8DzDt9Y

Β 

Posted here since cool picture vs cyclones... 🀘

This is a worthless post that wasted other people’s’ time so that you could bizarrely inflate your post count. I fucking hate your bullshit with that. Negged. Post news or thoughts, but cut the shit on the bandwidth draining, you fucking spambot.Β 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...

Matt Campbell: Iowa State will need "really good football" from its defense against Kansas

71186056007-ap-23287641689214.jpg?width=

Alyssa HertelΒ  Β Des Moines Register

AMES β€” Iowa State football beat Baylor on Oct. 28 to go 4-1 in Big 12 play and move into a first-place tie in the conference. The Cyclones share the top spot with four other teams (Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State and Kansas State).

ISU prepares to face Kansas at home on Nov. 4, aiming to earn a 5-1 start against Big 12 competition for the first time since 2020 β€” the only time the Cyclones started with that conference record in school history.

It won’t be an easy matchup for Iowa State. Kansas (6-2, 3-2 in Big 12 play) boasts the third-best offense in the league, averaging 35.8 points per game. The Cyclones (5-3, 4-1 Big 12) do have the fourth-best defense in the league and hold opponents to an average of just 19.8 points per game.

β€œWith how Kansas plays, you need 11 guys playing really good football or you’re gonna be in big trouble,” ISU head coach Matt Campbell said about Iowa State’s defense going against the Kansas offense.

Here is what else Campbell discussed ahead of Saturday's matchup with the Jayhawks.

The Kansas running back duo and quarterbacks could present a challenge to Iowa State’s defense

The Jayhawks possess one of the best running back duos in the Big 12 between Devin Neal and Daniel Hishaw.

Neal, a top-five running back in the conference, has 115 carries for 771 yards and seven touchdowns. He averages 96.4 rushing yards per game. Hishaw has fewer carries (80) and yards (488) but more touchdowns, with eight on the season.

In addition to Kansas’ stellar running backs, the Jayhawks have two quarterbacks who can produce with their legs β€” and there is still a question of who will get the start, Jason Bean or Jalon Daniels, who has dealt with a back issue and missed several games.

β€œNo matter who it is, it’s elite speed at quarterback,” Campbell said. β€œThey’ve got two elite quarterbacks, and two guys that have the ability to really challenge you in the running game at the quarterback position.

β€œWe’ve played some mobile quarterbacks already this year, and you’ve got to hang your hat on some of that and do your best to simulate that in practice.”

Massive improvements on the offensive line

At about this time during the 2022 season, Iowa State’s offensive line had allowed 15 sacks. In 2023, the Cyclones have allowed just six sacks, which is tied for sixth fewest in FBS.

For Campbell, that is a holistic statistic. Iowa State has allowed fewer sacks this season because of Rocco Becht’s quarterback play, the growth of the offensive line and how the tailbacks protect.

β€œThat group in general, that’s probably been the most impressive piece that’s accelerated faster than anything is the ability to protect the quarterback,” Campbell said. β€œWhen you talk (about) that number, it’s so much than, at times, the offensive line.

β€œEverybody has to be really good when you’re talking about protecting the quarterback, including the quarterback himself.”

Injury update on Jeremiah Cooper

The Iowa State safety suffered an injury during the Baylor game, but Campbell didn’t have specifics about Cooper’s injury during the postgame press conference. Campbell did state, at the time, that he believed it was nothing major.

On Tuesday, Campbell shared that Cooper's status was still up in the air for the game against Kansas and that the Iowa State staff would need to evaluate him as the week went on.

β€œHe was out there today,” Campbell said. β€œWe’ll know a lot more probably by the time we get to game time. I’d say it’s 50/50 right now.”

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for cyclones...

NCAA Rule Change Reduces Punishment for Student-Athletes Gambling on Other Sports

DORIC SAMΒ  Β  Β NOVEMBER 8, 2023

The NCAAΒ announcedΒ on Wednesday that it has softened the penalties for student-athletes who gamble on other college sports at their own school.

Under the previous rules, gambling on other NCAA sports would result in a permanent loss of eligibility. Now, it will result in a one-year suspension and a lost year of eligibility.

Also, student-athletes will be required to participate in sports wagering rules and prevention education before being eligible to be reinstated.

"To be clear, Division I members do not encourage student-athletes to engage in sports wagering at any level, and the actions today to modify reinstatement conditions should not be interpreted as support for wagering behaviors," MAC commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said in a statement. "NCAA members continue to prioritize integrity of competition and felt that reinstatement conditions for violations of wagering rules should reflect that focus and, when possible, also accommodate opportunities for preventative education."

The new rules can be applied to cases involving student-athletes serving current suspensions related to wagering on a different team at their own school that were reported on or after May 2 of this year.

"The council agreed with Division I commissioners that the reinstatement conditions for wagering violations in limited circumstances should be adjusted," Steinbrecher added. "Member schools need to fully examine NCAA wagering legislation overallβ€”particularly in light of changes in recent years to federal and state lawsβ€”but the council agreed that additional changes should not be made until potential changes to rules are contemplated."

The amended rules could benefit some of the student-athletes implicated in the betting scandals at Iowa and Iowa State. CBS Sports'Β Shehan JeyarajahΒ pointed out that Iowa State tight end DeShawn Hanika was only cited for betting on Iowa State basketball game. However, there are still nine Iowa and Iowa State football players who gambled on their own games and could face a permanent loss of eligibility.

On 8/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, Paul Wesley said:

I think that as Texas has been stumbling and bumbling since 2010, this "culture" stuff is often more imagined than real. Β After six years of Vince and Colt, and after a couple MNC games and a couple other top-5 finishes, Mack Brown should have had our roster ***full*** of NFL talent from top to bottom. Β But he didn't. Β He was too busy saying "No, thank you" to RGIII and Johnny Manziel, and Texas spent the next decade playing against guys like that, while our own offenses were led by Case McCoy, Jerrod Heard, and Tyrone Swoopes. Β It was just as bad on the offensive line, where we had another position group that was likely one of the 3- or 4- worst in the conference for a fucking decade.

Was that a "culture" problem? Β I would argue that it was 80% a roster problem - some combo of failing to identify and failing to sign the best players in your home state, and maybe 20% everything else (coaching, strength and conditioning, "culture"). Β I mean, Case and those JAG linemen could have been choirboys with Navy-Seal levels of discipline, and they weren't going to win the conference simply because they had sub-par talent.

Yep.Β  Mack got lazy recruiting.Β  He went after stars and big names and seemingly did very little in the way of evaluating actual talent.Β Β 

3 minutes ago, mannewers said:

Β 

Fah Fuck Off GIF by FoilArmsandHog

Β 

Actually maybe this is exactly what this team needs to light a fire and lay the hammer down?

Β 

Β 

Yeah but how many times have we said this over the last 10 years only to have the team come out and play flat? Perhaps this team is just different and this will be the test to see if they are.

1 minute ago, FtheBig12 said:

Yeah but how many times have we said this over the last 10 years only to have the team come out and play flat? Perhaps this team is just different and this will be the test to see if they are.

My thoughts were going exactly where you did. I just decided to leave it alone.

For most programs this would be extra motivation to go in and smash those scrubs.... But history tells us this just means we'll go in there and play flat and show little emotion.

Lol, I guess if you wanna try and reach and use that weak shit for bulletin board material. Dude was telling the truth.

21 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Lol, I guess if you wanna try and reach and use that weak shit for bulletin board material. Dude was telling the truth.

I literally just said it didn't matter because it never has. That was an odd reaction.

I wish it mattered more than it did but it clearly hasn't in the past. does that clear it up for you?

Edited by FtheBig12
  • Hook 'Em 1