Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

21 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

So, after looking at all of those releases, is black and white the new red and yellow?

I've started referring to cardinal and gold as our alternates.

I kinda hate the always wearing black thing, but our AD has said more than once it's letting shit like that fly that keeps Campbell happy in Ames, so whatever.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:55 AM, Longboard Horn said:

I'd say expectations are pretty high this year for them 

High expectations... more pressure. 

Gonna be an interesting year for Iowa State.  An easier B12 schedule early --  then a tough 2nd half closing schedule.

Iowa State Cyclones Schedule 2021

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Sat, 9/4
vsUNIUNI
2:30 PM
BIG12|ESPN+

Sat, 9/11
vsIOWAIOWA
2:30 PM

espn-abc@2x.png

Sat, 9/18
@UNLVUNLV
9:30 PM
CBSSN

Sat, 9/25
@BAYBAY
TBD    
Sat, 10/2
vsKUKU
TBD    
Sat, 10/16
@KSUKSU
TBD    
Sat, 10/23
vsOKSTOKST
TBD    
Sat, 10/30
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Sat, 11/6
vsTEXTEX
TBD    
Sat, 11/13
@TTUTTU
TBD    
Sat, 11/20
@OUOU
TBD    
Fri, 11/26
vsTCUTCU
TBD    

* Game played at neutral location

I don’t buy the lofty expectations for them this year. They’re solid and well coached, but they had the fortune of catching Oklahoma early and having Tom Herman snatch defeat from the jaws of victory last year. Outside of KU and maybe Tech, anyone in the conference is capable of beating them. Of course, they’re capable of beating anyone else, but I don’t think they’re going 8-0 or 7-1 in those games like they did last year.

Do hope they win the Iowa state championship. Losing to Iowa or even UNI given the team they are bringing back would be so painfully on brand, like Texas getting lit up early in the year as a double digit favorite.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I kinda hate the always wearing black thing, but our AD has said more than once it's letting shit like that fly that keeps Campbell happy in Ames, so whatever.

Keep the all black unis. Y'all rarely ever lose(especially at home) whenever you wear them. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t buy the lofty expectations for them this year. They’re solid and well coached, but they had the fortune of catching Oklahoma early and having Tom Herman snatch defeat from the jaws of victory last year. Outside of KU and maybe Tech, anyone in the conference is capable of beating them. Of course, they’re capable of beating anyone else, but I don’t think they’re going 8-0 or 7-1 in those games like they did last year.

Do hope they win the Iowa state championship. Losing to Iowa or even UNI given the team they are bringing back would be so painfully on brand, like Texas getting lit up early in the year as a double digit favorite.

We're going 9-4 with losses to UNI, Iowa, and OU x 2.

Our lofty expectations come from returning 21 starters off a team that won the Big 12 regular season by a whole game and was right there in the CCG with OU peaking.  Our close games in the regular season, other than Texas weren't as close as they looked and you come to Ames with a new coaching staff, new QB, etc in November.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Waco in Spetember. Hopefully we are petty and don't allow tents again.

That game concerns me, as does our Halloween trip to Morgantown.

But seriously, fuck Baylor (not you personally of course) for the tent thing.  I hope we just set the damn things up this year anyways.  I would think Baylor admins would understand that sometimes you just have do things without permission.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Just look at the series results over the last 15 years.

UNI are a bunch of kids who grew up cheering for Iowa that just play out of their minds to embarrass Iowa State, and Campbell couldn't beat a squad of 11 paraplegics in September.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

UNI are a bunch of kids who grew up cheering for Iowa that just play out of their minds to embarrass Iowa State, and Campbell couldn't beat a squad of 11 paraplegics in September.

I snort laughed at that last line

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ha, fair enough.

It should be noted that the 3 times UNI has beaten ISU in the last 15 years, each of those ISU teams went 3-9. But yeah, the OT game in 2019...

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The dude has it straight. Northern Iowa and Iowa cause Campbell to piss down his leg in fear on the sidelines. I expect ISU to embarrass the conference early and then embarrass us and Seven Win Steve late.

I think Campbell gets a kick out of trolling our fans by crapping the bed early and then going on tears.

18 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Ha, fair enough.

It should be noted that the 3 times UNI has beaten ISU in the last 15 years, each of those ISU teams went 3-9. But yeah, the OT game in 2019...

There was the 2019 OT game that was literally inches from being a loss, a 2011 game (the year we broke OK State) that took a 4th and long miracle TD throw, a 2006 game where they missed a field goal as time expired, and a litany of other listless performances against those guys that make me fear it.

Plus, Mrs. Al is a former UNI trackster and I never hear the end of it when they win.  There are clippings of the Des Moines Register headlines following UNI wins over ISU still on our fridge.

The Iowa thing I don't really get.  We're better than them at every single position group save maybe OL right now, but Campbell goes full turtle against Ferentz and tries to win playing exactly like Ferentz instead of just playing the game we do against the rest of the Big 12.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:38 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Our lofty expectations come from returning 21 starters off a team that won the Big 12 regular season by a whole game and was right there in the CCG with OU peaking.  Our close games in the regular season, other than Texas weren't as close as they looked and you come to Ames with a new coaching staff, new QB, etc in November.

I've fallen for the "returning starters" line too many times. As a non-blueblood, I wouldn't put too much on that statistic. Remember that other programs (especially the bluebloods) don't have big drops when replacing starters with 4 and 5 star studs on their rosters. Most times I've noticed with programs like ours have a terrific year, it's lightning in a bottle, and difficult to replicate. I predict 3-5 losses for ISU this year based solely on that, but maybe you can break the cycle and finally take the conference. If we are unable to do so (and it looks like we're not going to sniff the CCG this year) then I hope its you guys.

I've fallen for the "returning starters" line too many times. As a non-blueblood, I wouldn't put too much on that statistic. Remember that other programs (especially the bluebloods) don't have big drops when replacing starters with 4 and 5 star studs on their rosters. Most times I've noticed with programs like ours have a terrific year, it's lightning in a bottle, and difficult to replicate. I predict 3-5 losses for ISU this year based solely on that, but maybe you can break the cycle and finally take the conference. If we are unable to do so (and it looks like we're not going to sniff the CCG this year) then I hope its you guys.

I mean, we did actually win the league last year. The Big 12 is just dumb on account of the playoff committee.

The CCG is basically the same as the conference tournament in basketball. The winner is the formal champ for the purposes of the playoff/big dance.

Just watch, when OU or UT wins the regular season and then loses the CCG, the conference will decide to formally recognize regular season football champs.

Yes, I’m fucking salty about this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

But seriously, fuck Baylor (not you personally of course) for the tent thing.  I hope we just set the damn things up this year anyways.  I would think Baylor admins would understand that sometimes you just have do things without permission.

ISWYDT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That game concerns me, as does our Halloween trip to Morgantown.
Idk what this tent thing is all about, but if it involves anything Baylor admins won't CONSENT to..I'll drive down and help you guys erect whatever you want.

I fully expect ISU to shit the bed because I'm conditioned to that due to it's historical reality.

I think being purely objective about what we return, our coaching staff, and our schedule, they should win 11 games.  Vegas has them favored that many times at this juncture.

So nothing will surprise me, and I probably won't be ticked unless they lose more than 3 games.  I could handle 4 losses if we wax Iowa and UNI.

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:38 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Oh great. We are such shit that people who consider UNI an automatic loss think we are an automatic win.

• Haha 4

Oh I fully understand why the expectations are what they are and admit my take is pretty much from the gut, with flimsy support from actual data.

As a Texas fan I don’t mind playing Iowa State later in the year because at that point what should be superior overall depth for Texas, particularly on the DL, has the most impact in games. I’d be more concerned if it were in the first half of the year, with the staff still tinkering with rotations and schemes. But by then they should know who needs to be where and focused on putting the best guys in position to succeed. In general really looking forward to the game between the two this year. It will likely have big implications for the CCG again and Sark vs Heacock should be something.

If y’all fucking lose to UNI and Iowa then go 8-1 in the Big 12 I’m rage quitting college football.
  • Haha 1

Oh I fully understand why the expectations are what they are and admit my take is pretty much from the gut, with flimsy support from actual data.

As a Texas fan I don’t mind playing Iowa State later in the year because at that point what should be superior overall depth for Texas, particularly on the DL, has the most impact in games. I’d be more concerned if it were in the first half of the year, with the staff still tinkering with rotations and schemes. But by then they should know who needs to be where and focused on putting the best guys in position to succeed. In general really looking forward to the game between the two this year. It will likely have big implications for the CCG again and Sark vs Heacock should be something.

If y’all fucking lose to UNI and Iowa then go 8-1 in the Big 12 I’m rage quitting college football.

You and me both.

Ok, who am I kidding. I’ve put up with FAR worse.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

There was the 2019 OT game that was literally inches from being a loss, a 2011 game (the year we broke OK State) that took a 4th and long miracle TD throw, a 2006 game where they missed a field goal as time expired, and a litany of other listless performances against those guys that make me fear it.

Plus, Mrs. Al is a former UNI trackster and I never hear the end of it when they win.  There are clippings of the Des Moines Register headlines following UNI wins over ISU still on our fridge.

Hah I remember that 2006 game; we played Sam Houston State that night and one of our tailgate crew (who sat in our block of seats) was stone passed out for the two hours leading up to kick (it was a night game) so we left his ass there in front of the TV and went into the game. Our game was a blowout so we left mid-4th quarter to unwind and watch some other games. Homey had gotten his 2nd and somehow found two UNI fans in the tailgate lot to befriend, so when we hit the tailgate they’ve got the game on and have put a serious dent in our supply of bourbon. Needless to say, his newfound buddies were displeased with the outcome…

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:29 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m torn. I either change channels and think I’m watching USC, or I change channels and wonder which of 100 teams is wearing their black alternatives that week.

Every B12 fan I know, regardless of affiliation, is the same.  You're all a buncha droopy dogs about your team.  Guys, this is supposed to be fun.  We're allowed to be just a little bit unrealistic about our hopes.  For example, ISU fans are totally OK to expect to make it to the B12CG.  Texas fans are allowed to expect a 10-2 season and upset win over Oklahoma.  It's OK, Guys.  Live a little.

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m torn. I either change channels and think I’m watching USC, or I change channels and wonder which of 100 teams is wearing their black alternatives that week.

Current reds looking nothing like USC, FWIW.  Especially with the multiple configurations.

60d9f9fd15265.image.jpg?resize=1200,803

AR-191029968.jpg

5d7e0fddbece3.image.jpg?crop=341,341,85,

Eisworth_Greg19UNI_1-1024x576.jpg

11 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I plan on taking my son to the Texas/Iowa St game this year.  Hotel is reserved, just waiting on single game tickets to open up.  Anyone know when that is?  Either school, don't care which, just don't want to go secondary market if I can avoid it.

I think ISU usually does it in August.

Could be a tough get for that game, as season ticket holders get the first crack at single game tickets and with roughly 50K season ticket holders this year, all it would take to sell the game out will be 1/5 of them to buy an extra single for UT.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

18 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Recent changes aside, my point stands. Our end zone was infinitely further from a burnt orange match than ISU and USC.

F684-C470-5-D3-D-4586-A349-A2-EB671-E952
72913-FB1-318-B-4-FFF-B52-F-DBE84-E71-CD

Yeah, the old ones definitely looked like USC.  We just haven't worn them since 2017, and in '17 we didn't use the USC combo at all.  Went all reds the whole year.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-06-at-2.10.18-PM-2.p

The last game in the USC combo was the 2016 home finale against WVU.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Whirly bird for life!

To be fair it's a uniform that screams 7-5 and not conference title contender, but I like Seneca Wallace and a scrappy ISU team better than a Kolar led juggernaut.

I hate that fucking thing.

Seriously, these uniforms were absolutely terrible.

1401742371000-dmrdc5-5pxxi8lc8khvti51732

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

Every B12 fan I know, regardless of affiliation, is the same.  You're all a buncha droopy dogs about your team.  Guys, this is supposed to be fun.  We're allowed to be just a little bit unrealistic about our hopes.  For example, ISU fans are totally OK to expect to make it to the B12CG.  Texas fans are allowed to expect a 10-2 season and upset win over Oklahoma.  It's OK, Guys.  Live a little.

Optimism is allowed for all football fans in July.  Except Kansas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...