2023 off year elections and primaries

Zonahorn

Have some interesting statewide elections this year along with the inevitable special elections. Personally keeping a close eye on the Mississippi gubernatorial election. I highly recommend giving Brandon Presley a follow 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea there's been good results in off years for Democrats running for Governor in strong Republican areas. Beshear in KY, Bel Edwards in LA, Kelly in KS. Pressly has a good chance with the water fuck-ups in Jackson and the welfare scandal going on now with Tater acting indifferently. Just keep their head down, don't nationalize, they already enjoy a pretty high ceiling of Dem voters, just need to get R crossover. Tate barely won last go around by like 45k.

Statewide election for Supreme Court in Wisconsin is April 4th. It will control the majority. Major decisions on abortion and redistricting in the state are looming. The first week of early voting has ended. Can look at the numbers here. Can probably overlay the primary, the '22 midterm or '20 national results by county if you want to get a sense.
https://elections.wi.gov/resources/statistics/absentee-ballot-report-april-4-2023-spring-election-3

Would love to see Tate voted out because he sucks, but we haven’t got as many wins out of controlling the governorship from those states as I hoped.

I thought Kelly could get some form of legal medical pot in Kansas and prevent the GOP from making the house map worse. She failed at both.

JBE did help lousiana get their marijuana laws updated to what is pretty good for a southern state, but he couldn’t help us at all with redistricting. We should have 2 dems in us congress and the GOP kept us at one.

Beshear hasn’t gotten us any wins at all in Kentucky as far as I know. 

these dem governors are just placeholders unfortunately. Still better than GOP whackos I guess.

wisconsin Supreme Court is the important election in 2023. The Wisconsin maps are more rigged than anywhere else in the country. They need to be fixed.

Edited by Voldemort86

Look at what they did, are currently doing, and trying to do with Medicaid expansion.

Lots of pressure on Kansas to expand Medicaid from constituents, like 80% support. They or Alabama are most likely to be the next ones to announce.

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 3/28/2023 at 1:50 AM, Voldemort86 said:

Would love to see Tate voted out because he sucks, but we haven’t got as many wins out of controlling the governorship from those states as I hoped.

I thought Kelly could get some form of legal medical pot in Kansas and prevent the GOP from making the house map worse. She failed at both.

JBE did help lousiana get their marijuana laws updated to what is pretty good for a southern state, but he couldn’t help us at all with redistricting. We should have 2 dems in us congress and the GOP kept us at one.

Beshear hasn’t gotten us any wins at all in Kentucky as far as I know. 

these dem governors are just placeholders unfortunately. Still better than GOP whackos I guess.

wisconsin Supreme Court is the important election in 2023. The Wisconsin maps are more rigged than anywhere else in the country. They need to be fixed.

The legislature just overrode Beshear's veto and passed the country's most restrictive anti-trans bills into law. Is that his fault?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

The legislature just overrode Beshear's veto and passed the country's most restrictive anti-trans bills into law. Is that his fault?

After the Obama years I would hope Democrats understand you need a lot more than just the executive branch.

Since Chicago actually runs the state of Illinois, this is statewide election.

Paul Vallas just said he took the CTA downtown to Wrigley, which just ignites the “he’s a Republican from the suburbs” talking point. People were putting up signs on the west and south side with his name and MAGA 2024 on it the last couple weeks.

Tuesday gonna keep this snow plow (nose) goin hard b/w Chicago mayor and WI Supreme Court. Plenty of others too

Edited by StassneyHorn

Don’t like the timing of this trump indictment. The most important election of the year is on Tuesday. Granted it’s an off year, but this is the democrats chance to finally get a fair shake in Wisconsin.

right now the dems are getting rat fucked there. The Wisconsin House delegation is 6-2 gop, the Wisconsin repubs routinely win elections in the state senate and general assembly by capturing 60-70% of the seats with only 45% of the statewide vote due to gerrymandering. The dem governor is pretty much powerless. I hope this doesn’t amp up the trump base in Wisconsin. 

6 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Few days old already but I'm guessing the GOP internals don't look good if they're pulling this garbage.

If I saw that, I would’ve just laughed my ass off and voted for the opposite party. Doubt that type of ad would work.

12 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Any update on this race? Most important election of the year probably 

The Split Ticket model is D+6. But it’s, of course, heavily reliant on turnout today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

With respect to Wisconsin, the NYTimes daily podcast mentioned that there is already an ongoing discussion amongst Republicans to impeach the new D Supreme Court Justice (assuming she wins today). If the R candidate wins the special Wisconsin Senate election today, the Rs will have the necessary two-thirds vote to impeach.

Its unbelievable that this would be possible in a state that slightly leans D but that’s the power of gerrymandering.

Just now, hornmpa96 said:

With respect to Wisconsin, the NYTimes daily podcast mentioned that there is already an ongoing discussion amongst Republicans to impeach the new D Supreme Court Justice (assuming she wins today). If the R candidate wins the special Wisconsin Senate election today, the Rs will have the necessary two-thirds vote to impeach.

Its unbelievable that this would be possible in a state that slightly leans D but that’s the power of gerrymandering.

Wouldn’t work because Wisconsin has a dem governor.

Wisconsin republicans are so unbelievably dirty tho. I wish I could personally slit their throats when they pull shit like this.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, hornmpa96 said:

There should be riots if that happens. That’s actually Banana Republic type shenanigans.

The states maps are the biggest joke in the country. The gop routinely gets 44-45% of the statewide vote, but receives 65 out of 100 seats.  The maps need to be fixed. That’s the main reason I’m pulling so hard for ms. janet

oh yeah don’t forget….. these scum bag’s neutered the governors powers after their shitty governor Scott Walker lost , but before Evers took office. They also got Kanye enough signatures to put him on the ballot in 2024 just to steal votes from Biden.

I don’t fault people for trying to win, but these kinds of tactics are dirty and uncalled for.

go janet P. Please bring decency back to Wisconsin.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No way he can be as shitty as Lightfoot but still gonna suck imo.  Already the highest sales tax and close to the highest property taxes in the country and Brandon's solution is more taxes...

Already one foot in FL, so I guess I'll see what kind of damage we have before I make the move.  I love this city but between crime and taxes, I'm becoming the cry baby I detest.  

That SD-08 race is coming to come down to the wire bc so much of Milwaukee County is outstanding and Dems have 60-70% of the vote there. Would deny WIGOP a senate supermajority 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Still have 4.5 Bud Heavys and a bag of pretzels left. State Senate seat left to prevent supermajority.

@ChiTownDocjust join the rest of the Midwest in Scottsdale

My brother there and I’d likely kill him.  Only half joking.  I have a place in Miami.  I’ll always have a place here but may change residency this coming year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1