2023 off year elections and primaries

Zonahorn

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That SD-08 race is coming to come down to the wire bc so much of Milwaukee County is outstanding and Dems have 60-70% of the vote there. Would deny WIGOP a senate supermajority 

The site I am following has 91% in and the vote is R Dan Knodl 36,793, D Jodo Sinykin 36,070. It was that vote when it said 87% in, 89% in and now 91% in. The count has stated it has updated 4 times since 9pm but not one vote result has changed.  WTH

3 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

The site I am following has 91% in and the vote is R Dan Knodl 36,793, D Jodo Sinykin 36,070. It was that vote when it said 87% in, 89% in and now 91% in. The count has stated it has updated 4 times since 9pm but not one vote result has changed.  WTH

It’s been called for the R. A huge overperformance but they keep their state senate supermajority 

Hoping the Wisconsin SC result can do something positive for Medicaid expansion in the state as well, will be following that as well.

Not worried about the threat of impeachment of state justices at all, would just make the R's more unpopular.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Hoping the Wisconsin SC result can do something positive for Medicaid expansion in the state as well, will be following that as well.

Abortion

Medicaid

redistricting

legal weed

should all be on the table as possibilities in Wisconsin now and they weren’t just a few hours ago.

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

If Kelly is such a bad candidate, why did Wisconsin gop roll him out again after he got dominated a few years ago?

Bc he’s he was the most MAGA and extreme compared to Darrow, who probably would have won tonight. She was normal and had a lot of credibility from the Waukesha Christmas parade shooting case 

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s been called for the R. A huge overperformance but they keep their state senate supermajority 

Fuck - Hopefully there is 1 Republican Senator in Wisconsin who believes in respecting the results of the election.

Brandon Johnson went from winning county commissioner seat by under 1% in 2018 to the mayor of the 3rd largest city in America in 2023. Im sure CPD will show how butthurt they are for awhile, but his national profile will be raised tremendously and everyone will be watching the crime numbers with a noob who had plenty of commentary on the defund movement.

17 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Exactly but they are likely already drawing up impeachment documents

They can impeach but need 2/3 of both chambers to remove. They don’t have 2/3 of the house. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Impeaching her would be incredibly dumb. She just won by over 10 points and would be tough for just about any republican to beat. Evers would appoint her replacement and the dems would be smart to just run her in the next SC election where she would probably win because people just saw the GOP over ride the will of the people by kicking her out.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. Without courts giving them some races, some of them understand the realities.

Yep. With the state supreme courts holding the blue wall together in WI, MI and PA, all Dems have to do is win NH and just one of GA, AZ and NV and they win in 2024.  Trump has never won NV or NH and already lost GA and AZ once. 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. With the state supreme courts holding the blue wall together in WI, MI and PA, all Dems have to do is win NH and just one of GA, AZ and NV and they win in 2024.  Trump has never won NV or NH and already lost GA and AZ once. 

And Republicans in AZ are helping to ensure that it keeps moving left.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Comparing Dane County (Madison/UW) and Milwaukee County:

Total Population: Dane: 563k; Milwaukee: 940k

Total Votes: Dane: 255k, Mil- 260k

Protasiewicz %: Dane 82%; Mil 73%

Over the last 7 years, Dems have won some very tight races against crazy, Trump supporters. Like Kari Lake in AZ. Obviously, the WI justice race was not this result.  It's surprising that more in the GOP don't realize that they could dial back the crazy by only 10% and win some of these races. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Over the last 7 years, Dems have won some very tight races against crazy, Trump supporters. Like Kari Lake in AZ. Obviously, the WI justice race was not this result.  It's surprising that more in the GOP don't realize that they could dial back the crazy by only 10% and win some of these races. 

You are assuming that dialing back the crazy will result in the same GOP turnout. The crazies fuel the GOP.  If the Wisconsin Republicans had pushed for a 13-week abortion ban, with exceptions for rape, incest, and medical, they would have won more swing voters and would not have fired up the Dem turnout.  But it would have split their party.  There is zero chance that the pro-life warriors would have just said, yeah, that seems like a middle ground we can live with.  That's not just about votes, it's about the ability to function as a party.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah if a member of the party that is Nationally a minority party loses there is cheating and danger.  Instead of simply admitting that minority views when not supported by extreme gerrymandering and voter suppression allow for a level playing field which hurts Republicans.  

I still say we should all be paying for big billboards that say. "Please Vote Young People, save us from the Rural Racist Republicans."

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Yeah if a member of the party that is Nationally a minority party loses there is cheating and danger.  Instead of simply admitting that minority views when not supported by extreme gerrymandering and voter suppression allow for a level playing field which hurts Republicans.  

I still say we should all be paying for big billboards that say. "Please Vote Young People, save us from the Rural Racist Republicans."

Texas needs those billboards all over the major cities.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/05/politics/north-carolina-republican-supermajority-democrat-switch-parties/index.html

North Carolina Republicans gained a veto-proof supermajority in the state House after a Charlotte-area Democrat announced Wednesday she was switching parties.

State Rep. Tricia Cotham, who won as a Democrat in her blue district last fall by nearly 20 points, said at a news conference in Raleigh that “the modern-day Democratic Party has become unrecognizable to me.”

“I am no longer a Democrat, but I remain a public servant, that is what I am called to do. The party that represents me and my principles and what is best for North Carolina is the Republican Party,” Cotham, wearing a red dress and surrounded by her new Republican colleagues, said outside the state GOP headquarters in Raleigh.

ADVERTISING

“I am a single mom of two amazing sons, a teacher, a small-business owner, a woman with strong faith, a national championship basketball coach, and a public servant. Today I add Republican to that list,” she said, noting that she had “been welcomed with open arms” by her new colleagues.

Cotham’s switch could have major implications for lawmaking in the Tar Heel State. Republicans already held a supermajority in the North Carolina Senate. Cotham’s flip gives them 72 seats in the state House – and enough votes in both chambers to override any veto from Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper.

Cotham’s plan to switch parties was first reported by Axios. CNN has reached out to Cotham about the party switch.

Cotham served in the state House as a Democrat for nearly a decade before stepping away in 2016. She ran again in 2022, winning a crowded Democratic primary and then the general election for the newly drawn House District 112 in southeastern Mecklenburg County.

At the news conference Wednesday, Cotham said that “the turning point for me was when I was criticized for using the American flag and the praying hands emoji on all my social media platforms and even on the back of different vehicles that I have.”

“I really could not believe that that was the conversations that was happening at that time, and I was deeply offended,” she said, adding that “to say that that is wrong and not to be able to show off a flag because the others hijack it for something else, why are we at this place in politics?”

North Carolina GOP Chairman Michael Whatley said in a statement Wednesday that Cotham’s announcement “continues to reflect that the Democratic Party is too radical for North Carolina.”

Enter your email to sign up for CNN's "What Matters" Newsletter.

close dialog

Every day we summarize What Matters and deliver it straight to your inbox.

Sign Me Up

No, Thanks

By subscribing you agree to our

privacy policy.

“The values of the Republican Party align with voters, and the People of Mecklenburg County should be proud to have her representation in Raleigh,” he said.

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel also welcomed Cotham to the GOP, saying in a statement Wednesday, “Even in a Biden district in a purple state, Democrats are reading the writing on the wall: liberal policies are too extreme and they’re failing Americans.”

‘Political earthquake’

Democrats reacted to Cotham’s decision with anger and disappointment.

“Rep. Cotham’s votes on women’s reproductive freedom, election laws, LGBTQ rights and strong public schools will determine the direction of the state we love. It’s hard to believe she would abandon these long held principles and she should still vote the way she has always said she would vote when these issues arise, regardless of party affiliation,” Cooper said in the statement to CNN on Tuesday.

Newly elected North Carolina Democratic Party Chair Anderson Clayton called on the state legislator to resign from her seat.

“Rep. Cotham’s decision to switch parties is a deceit of the highest order. It is a betrayal to the people of Mecklenburg County, with repercussions not only for the people of her district, but for the entire state of North Carolina,” Clayton said at a Wednesday news conference in Raleigh outside party headquarters with other Democrats and residents of Cotham’s district. “Reproductive freedoms are on the line. Our public schools are on the line. LGBTQ rights are on the line. Voting rights are on the line. Our future as a state is on the line.”

“This is not about political vendettas. This is about the constituents that trusted Rep. Cotham to champion their values, who are now left with little reassurance that she will do that,” Clayton added. “HD112 is a 60% Democratic district, y’all. And they did not choose to elect a Republican. They chose to elect a Democrat.”

Cameron Pruette, the chair of the LGBTQ+ Democrats of Mecklenburg County, said at the news conference, “I knew there was a problem, when we invited Tricia Cotham to the Human Rights Campaign dinner a few weeks ago, she didn’t show up. Is this a premeditated move? How long has she known? The voters deserve to know.”

US Rep. Jeff Jackson, a former state senator who represents parts of Mecklenburg County, tweeted Wednesday that Cotham’s decision represented a “political earthquake” that “will have major consequences for millions of people.”

“While we don’t know how she will vote on any given bill, dozens of bills that were essentially dead – from elections law changes to reproductive freedom to LGBTQ rights to education policy – may have just sprung back to life,” he said. “And the state budget - which controls education funding - can now be passed entirely on the basis of Republican votes.”

“There are no recall provisions in North Carolina. She will be able to serve her full two-year term, which just began in January. For that period, Republicans will now be in full control,” Jackson said.

Cotham’s campaign website, which still listed her as a Democrat as of Wednesday afternoon, touted priorities such as protecting voting rights, affordable housing, health care and equitable public schools, among other issues. Under a section entitled “Equality for All,” Cotham calls herself a “champion of LGBTQ+ rights” and states, “Right now, LGBTQ+ youth are under attack by Republican state legislatures across the country. I will stand strong against discriminatory legislation and work to pass more protections at the state level.”

Cotham ran for election last year with the endorsement of EMILY’s List, which backs female Democratic supporters of abortion rights.

Last week, North Carolina Republicans overrode Cooper’s veto to enact legislation softening permit requirements for pistol purchases. The absence of three Democrats in the state House, including Cotham, allowed Republicans to push through the override.

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Oh. 

Is that right? Uh huh. Sure.

WISenate Majority Leader said they won’t be impeaching any judges. They’re dumb but they aren’t that dumb. YET

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

At the news conference Wednesday, Cotham said that “the turning point for me was when I was criticized for using the American flag and the praying hands emoji on all my social media platforms and even on the back of different vehicles that I have.”

She gave the oppo party a super majority because people said mean things about the emojis she was using.    Good run America.

done-lol.gif

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They are being held hostage by the 5% on the extreme right, and they deserve what they get because they are cowards. They are more accurately called enablers rather than moderates, and it will take their wives and daughters dying needlessly from obstetrics complications in order for them to come to their senses. It’s on the horizon though 

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

on the horizon though 

Where? Who?

You, Brisket, and the others on here that abandoned the Rs? Your kids? 

A couple of cycles ago I asked if Brisket thought about getting involved again and he straight up said that the chair asked him not to, BECAUSE IT WOULD MAKE IT HARDER.

The cooler theory of getting the conned to get free isn't applicable here because no one is cooling them. It's the opposite. They are doing everything possible to keep them hair on fire mad. The primary voters won't vote for reasonable voices. They want to own the libs. Compromise is to lose. It's a zero sum game and they're going for broke. 

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

They are being held hostage by the 5% on the extreme right, and they deserve what they get because they are cowards. They are more accurately called enablers rather than moderates, and it will take their wives and daughters dying needlessly from obstetrics complications in order for them to come to their senses. It’s on the horizon though 

if they lose that maga far right, they start to lose a ton of elections