2023 off year elections and primaries

Zonahorn

7 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

It's wild Protasiewicz won so easily by 10% yet Ron Johnson won less than 6 month ago. How the hell did that happen? Is it just the power of incumbency?

Pretty much name recognition and his opponent could be a shade on the darker side and too far left by their voters 

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Where? Who?

Everywhere there are draconian anti abortion laws. It is going to start happening to these people and they are going to abandon the party. The party will adapt or die. I have never been a republican. I have traditionally voted more R than D in state and local elections and more often D than R for POTUS

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

R than D in state and local

Do you see the problem with it now? 

I'd like to see more people abandon the R party without it costing the lives of women with problematic pregnancies because they are going to be dead. 

There's a school board election in May. There's a guy who is trying to moderate from his MAGA hat wearing last year and years before. Fiscally conservative he says. Bullshit. He's going to acquiesce to the people that show up with a list of books they want banned. He's going to vote for allowing teachers to carry firearms. It's not going to be more local than that.

No Republican in any capacity. You want to talk about your business acumen then go apply for a job in business. You want to talk about your religion being the reason you ran for the school board and I want to know what your basis is for that. 

I'd love to see a reasonable and thoughtful Republican party. But, they are about to sign a 6 week ban on abortion in Florida. They aren't moderating. They are getting more emboldened.

I don't want to single you out. I'm glad you responded. But, I ain't seeing it. I see more polarization and doubling down. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Do you see the problem with it now? 

I'd like to see more people abandon the R party without it costing the lives of women with problematic pregnancies because they are going to be dead. 

There's a school board election in May. There's a guy who is trying to moderate from his MAGA hat wearing last year and years before. Fiscally conservative he says. Bullshit. He's going to acquiesce to the people that show up with a list of books they want banned. He's going to vote for allowing teachers to carry firearms. It's not going to be more local than that.

No Republican in any capacity. You want to talk about your business acumen then go apply for a job in business. You want to talk about your religion being the reason you ran for the school board and I want to know what your basis is for that. 

I'd love to see a reasonable and thoughtful Republican party. But, they are about to sign a 6 week ban on abortion in Florida. They aren't moderating. They are getting more emboldened.

I don't want to single you out. I'm glad you responded. But, I ain't seeing it. I see more polarization and doubling down. 

Do I see the problem with what now? I’m not interested in debating any of this. The Republican Party will adapt or die. I honestly don’t give a shit. I will never vote republican for anything again and I am about as middle of the road as you can get. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

From my past psd dem experience, the Rs will complain that dems are mean and Dems will go, maybe they are right and won’t do it.

i sure hope as well they keep on attacking the Rs on this stuff and more  

Scott Walker is directly responsible for the blue shift in Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Wisconsin_protests

All of the Gen Z voters that have been going hard for Democrats over the last few years were in elementary school when Walker and his ilk rammed through Act 10 in February and March 2011. The Wisconsin teaching corps was in open rebellion, and no doubt a lot of students saw what happened and took it to heart when they came of voting age.

Sowing is fun, but reaping is a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Scott Walker is directly responsible for the blue shift in Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Wisconsin_protests

All of the Gen Z voters that have been going hard for Democrats over the last few years were in elementary school when Walker and his ilk rammed through Act 10 in February and March 2011. The Wisconsin teaching corps was in open rebellion, and no doubt a lot of students saw what happened and took it to heart when they came of voting age.

Sowing is fun, but reaping is a bitch. 

Walker barely won elections in Wisconsin by 1% or less. He ruled with an iron fist and governed like he had a mandate / win by 20+ points. The guy also is a huge proponent of extreme gerrymandering and undermining democracy at every turn.

when he finally did lose, he teamed up with the legislature to neuter the governors office of all powers so that Evers wouldn’t be able to do anything. This was after he wielded the power of the governor as much as possible and as hard as possible for over 10+ years. 

if I was on the street and saw him get jumped, I would look the other way, not call 911, and let the attackers do what they want with him. The guy is a total scum bag. He’s almost as bad as Dan Patrick.

• Like 1

Gee, imagine that.  Wisconsin R's are already talking about impeaching Protasiewicz.  And after the antics in Tennessee, you can bet your ass they will attempt it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/04/wisconsin-supreme-court-election-republican-party/673656/

Wisconsin Republicans are caught in a bind: What the base wants, the majority rejects. Because they see no way out, they’re angry, and the near future seems extremely volatile.

On Tuesday, Dan Kelly, a conservative, lost the most expensive judicial election in American history to the liberal Janet Protasiewicz, giving progressives a majority on Wisconsin’s high court for the first time in more than a decade. Abortion was clearly an animating issue; Wisconsinites voted for the candidate of the pro-choice movement.

Kelly didn’t go quietly or graciously. “I wish, in a circumstance like this, I would be able to concede to a worthy opponent,” Kelly said Tuesday night, “but I do not have a worthy opponent to which I can concede.” He said the campaign was “the most deeply deceitful, dishonorable, despicable” one he’d ever seen run for the courts, and called his opponent “a serial liar” who “has demeaned the judiciary with her behavior.”

Whatever happened to Wisconsin Nice? Hypocrisy aside—Kelly advised the Republican Party on the fake-elector scheme after the 2020 presidential election, and his campaign peddled allegations that Protasiewicz had engaged in elder abuse 30 years ago, among other “dishonorable” tactics—Kelly’s prickly diatribe may have previewed the next ugly chapter in the state’s polarized politics.

Even before the election, Wisconsin Republicans had openly speculated about the possibility of impeaching and removing Protasiewicz from the bench if she overturned Wisconsin’s 1849 abortion ban or voted to redraw the state’s gerrymandered legislative map. Duey Stroebel, a Republican state senator, told The New York Times that although impeaching Protasiewicz was unlikely, it was “certainly not impossible.”

Spoiler

“If she truly acts in terms of ignoring our laws and applying her own personal beliefs, then maybe that’s something people will talk about,” Stroebel said. “If the rulings are contrary to what our state laws and constitution say, I think there could be an issue.”

The implication is that Stroebel and his co-partisans, not elected judges, are the real authorities on what the state constitution says. Incidentally, here’s what the state constitution says about impeachment: It requires a simple majority vote in the assembly. Removal from office requires a two-thirds vote in the Senate. Impeachment is obviously supposed to be rooted in some form of misconduct, but we live in a time of raw politics. And on Tuesday night, with the election of the Republican Dan Knodl, the GOP retained its two-thirds Senate majority. (The assembly wasn’t in play.) Knodl previously said that the legislature’s impeachment power “would certainly be tested” if he won.

How serious is this threat? Legislators I spoke with downplayed the idea, citing Protasiewicz’s double-digit margin. They also noted that in Wisconsin, the Democratic governor could appoint an immediate replacement to the court without having to go through a confirmation process. The exercise would be pointless.

Nevertheless, according to the legislators I interviewed—who requested anonymity to speak freely—some Republicans believe the threat of removal should be “held over her head” as the high court takes up issues such as abortion, redistricting, and Act 10, the Scott Walker–era legislation that stripped public employees of many of their collective-bargaining rights.

Even if Republican leaders ultimately want nothing to do with the chaos that an attempted impeachment would unleash, the wild card is the smoldering rage of the base, which is every bit as angry as Kelly—not to mention Donald Trump. As one of the Republican legislators told me, “It takes only one email from Mar-a-Lago calling us RINOs and asking why we weren’t impeaching her.”

The dynamics of a possible impeachment fight—in which elected Republicans may feel the need to do something futile and chaotic to satisfy the grass roots—speak to the state GOP’s larger problems.

Republicans have lost four major statewide elections since 2018, and this year’s supreme-court election exposed their growing vulnerability, especially on the abortion issue. In a November poll by Marquette University Law School, 84 percent of Wisconsinites—including 73 percent of Republicans polled—said that abortions should be legal in cases of rape or incest.

Accordingly, before the election, leaders of the state assembly tried to craft a bill that would have amended the state’s 1849 abortion ban by including exemptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother. But Pro-Life Wisconsin lobbied against the bill, declaring that any legislation that allows abortions “is incapable of being justified.”

“A vote to add more exceptions to Wisconsin’s abortion ban is a vote to kill more preborn babies. It is that simple,” the group’s legislative director, Matt Sande, said in a statement. “It is always and everywhere wrong, regardless of motivation or consequence. It may never be employed, even in the narrowest of circumstances, as a means to a greater end.”

The Senate majority leader said he wouldn’t take up the bill. The amendment process failed, and Republicans failed to shore up their electoral prospects.

Indeed, on Tuesday, in the judicial race dominated by the abortion issue, conservatives lost statewide by more than 200,000 votes, as Democratic turnout surged and GOP margins shriveled in key suburban counties. In the so-called WOW counties—Waukesha, Ozaukee, and Washington—the abortion issue seems to have accelerated the flight from the GOP. In the 2000 presidential election, George W. Bush got more than 64 percent of the vote in Ozaukee; this year, Kelly got just 52 percent. Other once-reliably-red counties are turning purple or even blue, which is affecting down-ballot races.

The Wall Street Journal editorial board is sounding the alarm for the GOP nationally, and Republicans in Wisconsin are waking up to the fact that their electoral misfortunes are likely to get worse. “As long as abortion is an issue,” one Republican legislator told me, “we won’t ever win another statewide election.”

No wonder they are so angry.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Gee, imagine that.  Wisconsin R's are already talking about impeaching Protasiewicz.  And after the antics in Tennessee, you can bet your ass they will attempt it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/04/wisconsin-supreme-court-election-republican-party/673656/

Hide contents

“If she truly acts in terms of ignoring our laws and applying her own personal beliefs, then maybe that’s something people will talk about,” Stroebel said. “If the rulings are contrary to what our state laws and constitution say, I think there could be an issue.”

The implication is that Stroebel and his co-partisans, not elected judges, are the real authorities on what the state constitution says. Incidentally, here’s what the state constitution says about impeachment: It requires a simple majority vote in the assembly. Removal from office requires a two-thirds vote in the Senate. Impeachment is obviously supposed to be rooted in some form of misconduct, but we live in a time of raw politics. And on Tuesday night, with the election of the Republican Dan Knodl, the GOP retained its two-thirds Senate majority. (The assembly wasn’t in play.) Knodl previously said that the legislature’s impeachment power “would certainly be tested” if he won.

How serious is this threat? Legislators I spoke with downplayed the idea, citing Protasiewicz’s double-digit margin. They also noted that in Wisconsin, the Democratic governor could appoint an immediate replacement to the court without having to go through a confirmation process. The exercise would be pointless.

Nevertheless, according to the legislators I interviewed—who requested anonymity to speak freely—some Republicans believe the threat of removal should be “held over her head” as the high court takes up issues such as abortion, redistricting, and Act 10, the Scott Walker–era legislation that stripped public employees of many of their collective-bargaining rights.

Even if Republican leaders ultimately want nothing to do with the chaos that an attempted impeachment would unleash, the wild card is the smoldering rage of the base, which is every bit as angry as Kelly—not to mention Donald Trump. As one of the Republican legislators told me, “It takes only one email from Mar-a-Lago calling us RINOs and asking why we weren’t impeaching her.”

The dynamics of a possible impeachment fight—in which elected Republicans may feel the need to do something futile and chaotic to satisfy the grass roots—speak to the state GOP’s larger problems.

Republicans have lost four major statewide elections since 2018, and this year’s supreme-court election exposed their growing vulnerability, especially on the abortion issue. In a November poll by Marquette University Law School, 84 percent of Wisconsinites—including 73 percent of Republicans polled—said that abortions should be legal in cases of rape or incest.

Accordingly, before the election, leaders of the state assembly tried to craft a bill that would have amended the state’s 1849 abortion ban by including exemptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother. But Pro-Life Wisconsin lobbied against the bill, declaring that any legislation that allows abortions “is incapable of being justified.”

“A vote to add more exceptions to Wisconsin’s abortion ban is a vote to kill more preborn babies. It is that simple,” the group’s legislative director, Matt Sande, said in a statement. “It is always and everywhere wrong, regardless of motivation or consequence. It may never be employed, even in the narrowest of circumstances, as a means to a greater end.”

The Senate majority leader said he wouldn’t take up the bill. The amendment process failed, and Republicans failed to shore up their electoral prospects.

Indeed, on Tuesday, in the judicial race dominated by the abortion issue, conservatives lost statewide by more than 200,000 votes, as Democratic turnout surged and GOP margins shriveled in key suburban counties. In the so-called WOW counties—Waukesha, Ozaukee, and Washington—the abortion issue seems to have accelerated the flight from the GOP. In the 2000 presidential election, George W. Bush got more than 64 percent of the vote in Ozaukee; this year, Kelly got just 52 percent. Other once-reliably-red counties are turning purple or even blue, which is affecting down-ballot races.

The Wall Street Journal editorial board is sounding the alarm for the GOP nationally, and Republicans in Wisconsin are waking up to the fact that their electoral misfortunes are likely to get worse. “As long as abortion is an issue,” one Republican legislator told me, “we won’t ever win another statewide election.”

No wonder they are so angry.

The last paragraph of the last article linked brought a huge smile to my face. Winning Wisconsin and Michigan always feels so damn good because I know winning Texas is off the table and it’s the next best thing for dems.

• 1 month later...

Lots going on today but Jacksonville has elected a Democrat over the incumbent Republican. Jacksonville was the largest city to have a Republican mayor.

Dont give up on Florida too soon. Only the second Dem in 3 decades I believe I read. 

r/votedem has a live results thread

• Hook 'Em 2

Daniel Cameron won the GQP nomination for Governor in Kentucky. He is a big-time grifter and MAGA believer. He specifically thanked Dotard in his address by saying “the Trump culture of winning is alive and well in Kentucky.” Just an utterly horrific human being. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Colorado Springs has an Independent beating the Republican incumbent for now as well

…and it looks official. Colorado Springs, 7th largest city held by a Republican, loses to independent. GOP loses 2 of their top 7 most populated cities.

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Lots going on today but Jacksonville has elected a Democrat over the incumbent Republican. Jacksonville was the largest city to have a Republican mayor.

Dont give up on Florida too soon. Only the second Dem in 3 decades I believe I read. 

r/votedem has a live results thread

The Republican candidate wasnt the incumbent.  Rather, the current GOP mayor is term limited.  Huge win here

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

Some context on the NH race

The eventual Republican nominees in those upcoming specials, though, would need to work hard to be as … interesting as Guzofski, a local government official and pastor. He once declared that "the majority of the people" who come down with COVID "are the ones that took the jab" since they "literally infected you with the virus;" that being gay is "against nature" because "you never see two male dogs going at it and having kids;" and that "the doctrine of demons has so permeated our society in establishing a perverted mindset."

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

The eventual Republican nominees in those upcoming specials, though, would need to work hard to be as … interesting as Guzofski, a local government official and pastor. He once declared that "the majority of the people" who come down with COVID "are the ones that took the jab" since they "literally infected you with the virus;" that being gay is "against nature" because "you never see two male dogs going at it and having kids;" and that "the doctrine of demons has so permeated our society in establishing a perverted mindset."

So your average Republican candidate

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

What's the scoop on Virginia? My Google is broken and I want Js1 to do the work. 

Dems are favored to retake the House of Delegates and retain the Senate. Chaz Nuttycombe is the go-to for Virginia, he's like the Dave Wasserman of the Commonwealth - https://cnalysis.com/

• House of Delegates - forecasted 51 D - 47 R - 2 tossups (currently 48 R - 46 D with 6 vacancies)
  • Senate - 21 D - 18 R - 1 tossup (currently 22 D - 17 R - 1 non-caucusing Republican nutbag named Amanada Chase)
Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 8:42 AM, Post Oak said:

Hopefully Dems learn from this and weaponize these messages right fuckin now.

They are here in the DC metro area.  Everything I'm seeing coming out of Virginia and surrounding elections leads off with abortion rights and hammers that point home. Cheers to the message getting drilled into the minds of the population everywhere.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Gotta sound confident so you can scream FRAUD and RIGGED

If it was rigged, Youngkin would never have been governor.   And that would be my first media question, followed by so did they rig it while you were in office?  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1