2023 off year elections and primaries

Zonahorn

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Exactly but then again they probably can't spot Europe on a map.  

Gas is lower... somehow I don't hear that MAGidiots talking about it.  Go figure.

I don't know if this was a thing where you live, but at gas pumps around me they kept putting up stickers next to the price with Biden point and saying, "I did that".  Most of them were taken off by the stations, but the ones still up make me chuckle a bit given the decrease in price.  

I think it might be fair to say they understand the complexity of commodities trading.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I don't know if this was a thing where you live, but at gas pumps around me they kept putting up stickers next to the price with Biden point and saying, "I did that".  Most of them were taken off by the stations, but the ones still up make me chuckle a bit given the decrease in price.  

I think it might be fair to say they understand the complexity of commodities trading.  

I've have found that trying to explain how war, drought, extreme heat, bird flu, etc. etc. impact prices is like speaking to them in another language which, of course, means I'm a ferrrgner so they don't want to listen.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Going back to the "polling a year out" thing for a moment, I don't understand this attitude I see of:

I can't believe we are going to have a rematch of Biden and Trump!  I hate Trump, but Biden is TOO OLD!!1!!!

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, but that's what is happening.  To act like there's some other choice is asinine.  And Biden has done a damn decent job.  Even if you don't think so, you're gonna consider Trump again?  Really?  Then you are not a serious person.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Going back to the "polling a year out" thing for a moment, I don't understand this attitude I see of:

I can't believe we are going to have a rematch of Biden and Trump!  I hate Trump, but Biden is TOO OLD!!1!!!

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, but that's what is happening.  To act like there's some other choice is asinine.  And Biden has done a damn decent job.  Even if you don't think so, you're gonna consider Trump again?  Really?  Then you are not a serious person.

This.  Let me give you the analogy: "We're gonna eat dinner at Chili's again?  I really don't care for Chili's....well, I mean, their chips and salsa are excellent.  And I like their grilled chicken salad.  But my other choice is drinking a glass of piss laced with cyanide?  MAN, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!"  Fucking seriously.  Trump openly and proudly wants to end the Republic and exterminate his opposition as "vermin."  If you support him, at all, even with 1% of your being, you are a giant piece of shit, or an idiot, or both.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really liked this article by Jim Messina, who ran Obama’s 2012 campaign, and he noted a year out, they were giving Obama a less than 1 in 5 chance of being re-elected

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/11/13/obama-2012-campaign-manager-advice-00126736

This all gave me whiplash. Just like in 2011, we have an early poll screaming doom and gloom for a Democratic incumbent. Yes, we are officially in the Democratic bedwetting era for the 2024 presidential election. But here’s some advice from someone who’s been here before: Don’t panic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Let me give you the analogy: "We're gonna eat dinner at Chili's again?  I really don't care for Chili's....well, I mean, their chips and salsa are excellent.  And I like their grilled chicken salad.  But my other choice is drinking a glass of piss laced with cyanide?  MAN, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!"  Fucking seriously.  Trump openly and proudly wants to end the Republic and exterminate his opposition as "vermin."  If you support him, at all, even with 1% of your being, you are a giant piece of shit, or an idiot, or both.

What I really enjoy is that they are supporting a man who has publicly vowed to destroy their political party if he doesn't get the nomination, which means if he doesn't get the nomination, he's working to make sure the Democrats win.  He's telling them "support me or I fuck you over" and they love it.

45 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Welp...

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/10/harris-county-2022-election-results-upheld/

I hope Mattress Mack is crying on his Temper-Pedic adjustable mattress  

Mattress Mack suing Harris County for public election records

Granted, I left the Houston area in the 90s, but I still go back multiple times a year to visit family and friends, and for years I really liked/respected Mack - he did a lot during hurricanes, for charities, for veterans, he was a fan of Houston sports whether they were up or down.

But wow, he has absolutely pissed everything away.  He's just this sad little man who won't be judged for all the good he did, but instead because he bought into dumb fucking conspiracy theories and to top it all off, he sucked up to Trump, who probably couldn't pick him out of a police lineup.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Granted, I left the Houston area in the 90s, but I still go back multiple times a year to visit family and friends, and for years I really liked/respected Mack - he did a lot during hurricanes, for charities, for veterans, he was a fan of Houston sports whether they were up or down.

But wow, he has absolutely pissed everything away.  He's just this sad little man who won't be judged for all the good he did, but instead because he bought into dumb fucking conspiracy theories and to top it all off, he sucked up to Trump, who probably couldn't pick him out of a police lineup.

So he's like 95% of dotard voters over the age of 60?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So he's like 95% of dotard voters over the age of 60?

I bet he doesn’t even realize that people openly mock him for buying into dumbfuck conspiracy theories. He seems to have lost his self-awareness. If he had died 10 years ago, there’d probably be a school or some other facility named after him.  Now, there’s plenty that will celebrate his death for the bullshit he’s bought into and tried to fund,

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, and also Biden hired hella competent people, rather than lackeys and burn it down folks.  Because laws and shit working matters.  

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What I really enjoy is that they are supporting a man who has publicly vowed to destroy their political party if he doesn't get the nomination, which means if he doesn't get the nomination, he's working to make sure the Democrats win.  He's telling them "support me or I fuck you over" and they love it.

They're just a mob with tiki torches now--ready to burn whatever down with their God's guidance.  Their God, however, doesn't like to write stuff down because it would be incriminating and he's fine with his mob getting locked up, just not him.  He's a lead from the car going in the opposite direction kind of a guy.  Real standup pos.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, texasdago said:

Exactly but then again they probably can't spot Europe on a map.  

Gas is lower... somehow I don't hear that MAGidiots talking about it.  Go figure.

I was told by more than one person on Facebook that Trump is responsible for the gas prices creeping down. 

On 11/13/2023 at 10:36 AM, Js1 said:

I really liked this article by Jim Messina, who ran Obama’s 2012 campaign, and he noted a year out, they were giving Obama a less than 1 in 5 chance of being re-elected

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/11/13/obama-2012-campaign-manager-advice-00126736

GQP wasn’t smart enough to nominate a treasonous, blowhard pussy back then. They didn’t have the full realization of just how shitty a significant portion of the voting public is. 

On 11/13/2023 at 4:45 PM, atomheartbevo said:

On 11/13/2023 at 6:32 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I bet he doesn’t even realize that people openly mock him for buying into dumbfuck conspiracy theories. He seems to have lost his self-awareness. If he had died 10 years ago, there’d probably be a school or some other facility named after him.  Now, there’s plenty that will celebrate his death for the bullshit he’s bought into and tried to fund,

I still live in Houston, and I've been here for basically all but 5 years of my life. And I can tell you the concept that Mack is a widespread joke here is flat fucking wrong. The large MAGA segment still loves him for obvious reasons, and another massive chunk of people don't follow or give a fuck about politics think the same of him they always have, which is highly. The percentage of people who think he is a clown is a fucking massive minority, basically the percentage of the population that would post on this board compared to the rest of Texas. He's pissed nothing away at all, except the opinions and respect of maybe 5% of the population, and I'm being real fucking generous with that 5%. 

On 11/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, texasdago said:

I tolerated him before although always thought he was kind of a clown with no taste (see GF or Westside) but now I just have want him to disappear from public life.  What an embarrassment.  

I'd love him to dissapear as well, but see above. 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:15 AM, Burt said:

I was told by more than one person on Facebook that Trump is responsible for the gas prices creeping down. 

And what was there response when you asked "How exactly is he responisble for gas prices creeping down?"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And what was there response when you asked "How exactly is he responisble for gas prices creeping down?"

Yup... always hit them with the follow up.  "And how did he bring down gas prices when he was in office?" - mental gymnastics...

On 11/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, Brisketexan said:

Chili's got that fucking greasy beeping electronic menu thing on the table. If Chili's is my "good" choice, I am buying the biggest damn boat I can't afford so I'll have a place for all my MAGA flags.

And gimme a sip o that poison piss while we're at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with the idea that Mattress Mack is still considered a hero in Houston even though he's shouldn't be in my opinion.

When it comes to his Astros bets, some seem to equate that to his love of Houston spirit. Hell no, he's using it as part of a sales gimmick. In a moment of candor, I saw him tell a reporter that in giving hurricane refugees a bed in his store for the night, he could and would figure out a way to use the hurricane to promote a sale. Good for him. At the end of the day, he's a salesman first and foremost.

His embrace of further and further right wing politics has a bit of a senility look to it. The longer he is in the public eye, I assume the greater chance that he eventually says or does something that will end in disgrace.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Mattress Mack reminds me so much of my grandfather: golden hearted man who lost his fucking mind in the final few years after consuming too much Fox News.  Also, he really needs a gambling intervention.

And Sydney is absolutely correct that he's still worshipped by the vast majority of Houstonians. 

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I agree with the idea that Mattress Mack is still considered a hero in Houston even though he's shouldn't be in my opinion.

When it comes to his Astros bets, some seem to equate that to his love of Houston spirit. Hell no, he's using it as part of a sales gimmick. In a moment of candor, I saw him tell a reporter that in giving hurricane refugees a bed in his store for the night, he could and would figure out a way to use the hurricane to promote a sale. Good for him. At the end of the day, he's a salesman first and foremost.

His embrace of further and further right wing politics has a bit of a senility look to it. The longer he is in the public eye, I assume the greater chance that he eventually says or does something that will end in disgrace.

Someone did reporting on this awhile ago. It's a great gimmick, and it's more than just sales. He basically had an actuary figure out the math so he usually doesn't lose money on those bets long term. And he's won quite a few of them on the astros. Basically, if the astros lose, well, he keeps the money from the customers. If they win, he's placed a huge bet that covers what he owes customers, but it's a great promotion. 

To anyone who tells you voting doesn't matter:

https://newjerseyglobe.com/local/democrat-leads-by-one-vote-in-parsippany/

Republicans are expected to seek a recount in Parsippany, where Democrat Judy Hernandez has won a seat on the township council by one vote.

Hernandez leads Republican Adam Kandil, 4,528 to 4,527, with no remaining ballots left to be counted – or cure letters left to be chased — in Morris County’s largest municipality.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

To anyone who tells you voting doesn't matter:

https://newjerseyglobe.com/local/democrat-leads-by-one-vote-in-parsippany/

Republicans are expected to seek a recount in Parsippany, where Democrat Judy Hernandez has won a seat on the township council by one vote.

Hernandez leads Republican Adam Kandil, 4,528 to 4,527, with no remaining ballots left to be counted – or cure letters left to be chased — in Morris County’s largest municipality.

Ah Parsippany.  Where Mom and Pop fled to to sell Jerry's sneakers.

Ah Parsippany.  Where Mom and Pop fled to to sell Jerry's sneakers.

Spent a sketchy night at the Red Roof Inn in Parsippany. A fair amount of “commerce” happening in the parking lot overnight.
That was the occasion that prompted my associate to issue a new travel rule: from now on, we only stay places where the rooms open to an interior hallway, not the parking lot. She was so persnickety.