2023 off year elections and primaries

Zonahorn

9 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

They are here in the DC metro area.  Everything I'm seeing coming out of Virginia and surrounding elections leads off with abortion rights and hammers that point home. Cheers to the message getting drilled into the minds of the population everywhere.  

Radio silence in Texas.  I guess they figure we're a lost cause; they're likely right. 

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Radio silence in Texas.  I guess they figure we're a lost cause; they're likely right. 

Not really any big off year elections in Texas? I don’t understand why they’d be blasting abortion attacks a year before 2024 elections in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

So they basically agree with the Dem/Biden position on essentially every issue, including abortion and public education, but hate Biden and would rather have Trump who would do the opposite of what they desire.  Absolute brain worms. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

So they basically agree with the Dem/Biden position on essentially every issue, including abortion and public education, but hate Biden and would rather have Trump who would do the opposite of what they desire.  Absolute brain worms. 

I'll give the GQP credit for one thing: they've done the most amazing job in history of getting people to vote 180 degrees from their actual interests.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't understand why he would resign.  Those statements only serve to highlight what the GQP is all about. 

As somebody who lived in North Dakota (briefly) as a kid, and has lived all over the South, ND was the most racist place I've ever experienced.  Amazingly insular place.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As somebody who lived in North Dakota (briefly) as a kid, and has lived all over the South, ND was the most racist place I've ever experienced.  Amazingly insular place.

Well, it shouldn’t be a state, but the GOP in the 1880s needed senators.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's my idea to improve outcomes: ranked voting, but not in the way you're thinking.

You go to the polls. You take a pop quiz of questions of 25 civics/history/constitutional questions selected randomly from among thousands. Each voter starts with a score of 25. For each question you miss, your voting score is reduced by one.  So if I get all 25 correct, my vote counts for 25 points. If you miss 20 of the questions, your vote only counts five points. 

• Like 1

GOP is spiking the football already in Virginia because Youngkin has seemingly convinced GOP voters to go early. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-may-have-found-a-winning-election-strategy/ar-AA1jlq6z?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=cc41f88307b149e1b386d95d66646b7e&ei=18

This year is the first time that a full General Assembly election in Virginia has had a 45-day early voting period and no-excuse absentee mail ballot rule since new voting laws were passed in 2021. Voters will have until Saturday to cast an early vote in what is widely viewed as a bellwether for the 2024 election. Every single seat in the state Legislature is up for re-election.

45 day EV period? Why would anyone in VA vote on election day?

• Hook 'Em 1

Tomorrow is a big day.  If the Dems take back the HoD and keep the Senate, it will bode well for 2024.  Losing the governorship and HoD was an omen for 2022 midterms

Chaz Nuttycombe@ChazNuttycombe

4h

🚨📊FINAL VA FORECAST🚨📊 In our final VA 2023 state legislative forecast at @CNalysis, each chamber is rated as "Lean Democratic." State Senate 71% DEM Majority 29% GOP Majority House of Delegates 61% DEM Majority 31% GOP Majority 8% TIE

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tomorrow is a big day.  If the Dems take back the HoD and keep the Senate, it will bode well for 2024.  Losing the governorship and HoD was an omen for 2022 midterms

Chaz Nuttycombe@ChazNuttycombe

4h

🚨📊FINAL VA FORECAST🚨📊 In our final VA 2023 state legislative forecast at @CNalysis, each chamber is rated as "Lean Democratic." State Senate 71% DEM Majority 29% GOP Majority House of Delegates 61% DEM Majority 31% GOP Majority 8% TIE

Don't sleep on MIssissippi tomorrow.  Cook has it at lean R, but the mere fact that it's this competitive is a good sign.  

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Don't sleep on MIssissippi tomorrow.  Cook has it at lean R, but the mere fact that it's this competitive is a good sign.  

That’s a sleeper race and it hasn’t really been nationalized. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 11:23 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Here's my idea to improve outcomes: ranked voting, but not in the way you're thinking.

You go to the polls. You take a pop quiz of questions of 25 civics/history/constitutional questions selected randomly from among thousands. Each voter starts with a score of 25. For each question you miss, your voting score is reduced by one.  So if I get all 25 correct, my vote counts for 25 points. If you miss 20 of the questions, your vote only counts five points. 

We should charge a poll tax too lol. Come on man

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Need to keep one of the few red state governors we have.  Need to prevent the GOP from taking back more power in Virginia. Need Ohio to vote for legal abortion and legal marijuana. 

interesting day tomorrow. 

We need turn out (of course we want all of those things), but turn out is the big indicator.  This being an off year, seeing high turnout means our side is very much engaged, which would be great news going into next year.  

8 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Need to keep one of the few red state governors we have.  Need to prevent the GOP from taking back more power in Virginia. Need Ohio to vote for legal abortion and legal marijuana. 

interesting day tomorrow. 

No shit. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

If the R’s win in VA, it’ll be a preview of what a R 2024 looks like across the nation 

The Republican strategy for abortion is that they still have no strategy. There were talks from the VA state party about uniting behind a 16 week ban as a compromise, but there were some R pols in competitive races who were ducking the issue entirely. And then there's this dipshit. 

If the Rs have a good night, it's not because they have suddenly become coherent.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

The Republican strategy for abortion is that they still have no strategy. There were talks from the VA state party about uniting behind a 16 week ban as a compromise, but there were some R pols in competitive races who were ducking the issue entirely. And then there's this dipshit. 

If the Rs have a good night, it's not because they have suddenly become coherent.

the Republican strategy is to fundraise all you can on the subject 

• Hook 'Em 1

Slow day here in Precinct HILL 2-D 01. I’m at a polling location that only serves one precinct. In Ohio a precinct has a max of 1,400 voters. I’ve processed 4 provisional ballot voters in the first 3 hours since the poll opened. I’m told there were more early voters for this election than there were for the one in August and that saw record turnout…for an August election, anyway. But this paper ballot judge position is really easy when there’s only one precinct and one ballot type to work with.

IMG_9945.thumb.jpeg.4e5a8ff05729e50deb36b5008df12989.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Hoping for an interesting night in the south with KY and MS. Would love to see just how “maxed out” MS is with D voters. Reeves openly taunting Jackson MS is shitty, but the welfare scandal is another item to trip him up. KY and MS not being “nationalized” by the media was a good thing.

Nobody’s expecting much of anything headline worthy in NJ, which is why I’m expecting them to be head scratcher of the night.

Edited by StassneyHorn

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Hoping for an interesting night in the south with KY and MS. Would love to see just how “maxed out” MS is with D voters. Reeves openly taunting Jackson MS is shitty, but the welfare scandal is another item to trip him up. KY and MS not being “nationalized” by the media was a good thing.

Nobody’s expecting much of anything headline worth in NJ, which is why I’m expecting them to be head scratcher of the night.

I read that in New Jersey the pubs are hanging their hats on windmills being the cause of everyone's problems.  That's so ridiculous I'm not going to be surprised if it works.  Unreal.  

12 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Nobody’s expecting much of anything headline worthy in NJ, which is why I’m expecting them to be head scratcher of the night.

If I had to put in a guess:

KY - lean D, but it will be close (1-3 points) because of the partisan lean on the state.  But Cameron fucking sucks and Beshear is popular enough to scrape by.  Beshear won by 0.4% (5k votes) in 2019, so anything higher than that bodes well. 
MS - lean R, but could be the surprise of the night. Jim Hood hit 46.8% in 2019 and lost by 5.  Portended a good 2020 for Dems.  Republicans retain the legislature without any issues.  If Pressley exceeds 47%, it is a good sign. 
VA - Dems retain the Senate, pick up the House of Delegates.  Youngkin cries into his sweater vest and his reputation as the 2024 savior goes down the toilet. 
NJ - probably no surprises, Dems retain the legislature.   Governor Murphy has a 46-37 approval as of last month's Morning Consult.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

So weird that it is always republicans. SO WEIRD 

Right?  I mean, it must just be a HUGE coincidence OR (more likely!) a HUGE CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!11!!  

THE LEFT IS TRYING TO KEEP US DOWN!  THEY ARE THE TRULY EVIL ONES!!11!11. NOT THE PARTY OF FAMILY VALUES!

Get fucked Republicans.  Every last motherfucker in here.  You are all terrible people that vote for terrible people and are bad for the world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2