Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Well sorta-kinda prime GGG beat Canelo twice.  Gave him a thrashing in the first fight (with Canelo on roids) and according to most media cards slightly edged him in the second fight.

Which, of course, is why Canelo wanted no part of a rubber match and even ended his DAZN contract to avoid it. 

GGG ain't looked the same recently though.  Getting too old. 

GGG did not win the 2nd fight. It was a close fight but dominating performance by Canelo. He landed more power punches in 10 of the 12 rounds, won body shots 46-6 and landed 33% of his punches to GGG 27%. He also was the aggressor in the fight. GGG clearly won the first fight imo and Canelo clearly won the second imo.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Well sorta-kinda prime GGG beat Canelo twice.  Gave him a thrashing in the first fight (with Canelo on roids) and according to most media cards slightly edged him in the second fight.

Which, of course, is why Canelo wanted no part of a rubber match and even ended his DAZN contract to avoid it. 

GGG ain't looked the same recently though.  Getting too old. 

Yep. He had about a 3 year window where he was the baddest man on earth... and canelo waited and waited and waited and then roided up and still got his ass kicked in fight 1. Fight two ggg shut it down way to early because he thought he had it won and couldn't land much in the final rounds. I thought ggg won by maybe a point or 2 but that's too close to count on. 

A rubber match now would just be sad unless ggg gets to take what canelo took before fight 1. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

GGG did not win the 2nd fight. It was a close fight but dominating performance by Canelo. He landed more power punches in 10 of the 12 rounds, won body shots 46-6 and landed 33% of his punches to GGG 27%. He also was the aggressor in the fight. GGG clearly won the first fight imo and Canelo clearly won the second imo.

Fair.

I think Canelo is a phenomenal fighter.  It's just a shame he was protected so much.  Kinda taints his legacy. 

I mean, hell, even in that fight against Mayweather where he got pieced up the entire fight and hardly touched Floyd, the judges still handed in a card with the fight as a draw to turn a UD thrashing into a MD.

The roids, the whack scorecards, and dodging Triple G to try and get time to slow him down some all sour him on me a bit.  Maybe I'm being unfair.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.  Not too many more people he can fight unless we see some guys coming down to Super Middle or Canelo going up again.  And I mean, Canelo is a tank and all, but moving up to Light Heavy?  That's a stretch for ol' Mr. Five Foot Seven, IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 3

he knocked out 6'0 kovalev at 175 and easily beat up 6'3 callum smith (though it was at 168).

my guess is he fights GGG again.  then there is the showdown with benavidez.  in some order, my guess are those are his two fights next year.  after that, there's artur beterbiev and dmitry bivol at 175.

edit - i also want to say that i think GGG won the first fight and Canelo purposely avoided him for the 2-3 years before that fight.  GGG probably wins any fight that takes place between the two of them during that time period.  my comment about him being unbeatable at 175 or lower was only meant at this point in time.

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Fair.

I think Canelo is a phenomenal fighter.  It's just a shame he was protected so much.  Kinda taints his legacy. 

I mean, hell, even in that fight against Mayweather where he got pieced up the entire fight and hardly touched Floyd, the judges still handed in a card with the fight as a draw to turn a UD thrashing into a MD.

The roids, the whack scorecards, and dodging Triple G to try and get time to slow him down some all sour him on me a bit.  Maybe I'm being unfair.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.  Not too many more people he can fight unless we see some guys coming down to Super Middle or Canelo going up again.  And I mean, Canelo is a tank and all, but moving up to Light Heavy?  That's a stretch for ol' Mr. Five Foot Seven, IMHO.

Nope. I agree with you.  I hated how canelo handled that.  Canelo has quite a following among my Hispanic friends though.   At the moment he looks unbeatable and would maul ggg right now 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess Canelo read my post.  Dude is trying to put a fight together with Ilunga Junior Makabu at Cruiserweight.  Though this article seems to suggest it might be fought at 190 instead of 200.

Still, that'll be almost 50 pounds Canelo has walked up over his career.  Absolutely nuts. 

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/32648380/canelo-alvarez-gets-wbc-approval-fight-illunga-junior-makabu-cruiserweight-title

Canelo Alvarez could chase a title in a fifth weight class.

At the WBC Convention on Wednesday in Mexico City, the organization approved the request of Canelo's trainer and manager, Eddy Reynoso, to have Alvarez challenge Ilunga Junior Makabu for the cruiserweight championship.

Alvarez, ESPN's No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer, became undisputed champion at 168 pounds earlier this month with an 11th-round TKO of Caleb Plant. A win over Makabu would make Canelo (57-1-2, 39 KOs) a five-division champion.

Alvarez has never competed at cruiserweight, so Reynoso needed to petition the WBC to order the title fight. Now that the fight has been approved, negotiations can begin, and if no deal is struck, a purse bid will be ordered.

"I know ... what he has done with the heavyweights he spars with, and that is why we asked for the fight," Reynoso told ESPN Deportes' Salvador Rodriguez. "We know that [Makabu] is strong, but Canelo can beat him. ... Many may say that it is crazy, but they also said that it was crazy when Canelo was junior middleweight champion and we were looking for middleweights, super middleweight, light heavyweights.

"I have a lot of confidence in Canelo. He is very strong and has many qualities, and I know that he is going to win that fight."

Alvarez, 31, fought once at 175 pounds, a November 2019 TKO victory over Sergey Kovalev to win a light heavyweight title. He unified titles at 154 pounds and 160 pounds before that.

The cruiserweight limit is 200 pounds, but the WBC recently introduced an 18th weight class -- bridgerweight -- with a limit of 224 pounds. In a corresponding move, the Mexico-based organization is reducing the cruiserweight limit to 190 pounds, the same weight when the division was introduced in 1979 before it was increased by 10 pounds in 2004.

Reynoso told Rodriguez there have been some offers to fight in Congo, Makabu's birthplace.

"Let's see if something can be arranged for that to happen," he said. "It is one more challenge. Just as we took the challenges at 168 and 175 pounds, now we are going to cruiserweight."

Makabu, ESPN's No. 4 cruiserweight, has reeled off nine consecutive wins since he lost the title to Tony Bellew via third-round TKO in 2016.

He is promoted by Don King, who last month announced a deal for Makabu to fight Thabiso Mchunu. However, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman claimed Mchunu wasn't ready to fight on Jan. 8 as planned.

Makabu said he was excited about the prospect of fighting Alvarez.

"I'm feeling very happy because I fight the best boxer in the planet," Makabu, a 34-year-old resides in Johannesburg, told Rodriguez. "Canelo has been beating everyone ... but now he's fighting one tough man.

"I'll fight anywhere. Even if they put on the fight in his own house with no public. I'll fight."

Just adding lines to the resume. I'd definitely be intrigued to how he could hold up to this weight, but I'm sure they see something in this Makabu that they can handle. Cruiserweight is a such a dead weight class that it doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but will also be an eyebrow-raising line on this resume. The main aspect of Canelo's career that I will remember is that he chased greatness. If you're going to hold his management against him (waiting on fights, "ducking" fighters, whatever), then you have to hold the management of other fighters against their legacy too. Staying in the same weight class for 15+ years isn't chasing greatness, it's refusing to test your limits and your advantages to find out how great you can be. 

Would rather see him fight Charlo, but I understand the move. It's clear he's focused on adding belts. Charlo won't be remembered in 10 years, belts in 5 weight classes will....

4 minutes ago, pops said:

Boxing is so good. I wouldn't have stopped it,  but writing was probably on the wall. 

Yea he was more aware than I thought at first. Seemed like he was trying to be too showy but he seems like maybe he coulda kept going. Still the end was inevitable at that point.

crawford is just too fucking good.  that left hand is lethal.

porter is a bulldog and definitely pushed crawford more than anyone else has, but by around 6 crawford had him figured out.  he landed some massive left hands in the final minute of the 9th round and the writing was on the wall.  porter could have conintued, but he just would have been put right back down within another 20-30 seconds.  when crawford has you on the ropes, you don't recover.

lmao @ spence being in the crowd and getting the fuck out of dodge as soon as crawford finished it.  if that fight doesn't happen, it's gonna be spence who gets the blame.  

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Not sure that I’m super surprised by the decision. I haven’t watched the fight yet but I definitely don’t think Teo is as good as people seem to think. I think he would have lost a rematch to Loma tbh.

only reason he beat loma in the first place was because loma gave him the first 6 rounds.

Well, an L ain’t the worst possible outcome. 

Teofimo Lopez was risking his life and should have been in a hospital -- rather than a boxing ring -- when he lost his four lightweight belts to George Kambosos last week at Madison Square Garden, according to a doctor who subsequently examined him and reviewed his medical records.

"He could have died, for sure," said Dr. Linda Dahl, an otolaryngologist (ENT) with surgical privileges at three Manhattan hospitals, told ESPN. "How he breathed, I can't even explain to you. It's like somebody tied a 300-pound set of weights around his chest ... like his neck and chest were in a vise.

"That's how he fought."

"He's lucky he's not dead," Dr. Peter Constantino, executive director of the New York Head and Neck Institute, told ESPN. "I mean, really lucky."

According to Lopez's medical records, the 24-year-old former undisputed champion was diagnosed with "pneumomediastinum" with "extensive air in the retropharyngeal space" by emergency room doctors during his postfight visit to Bellevue Hospital.

"The air was surrounding his chest wall and his heart and his neck -- places where air is not supposed to be," said Dahl, who worked as a ringside physician for the New York State Athletic Commission. "If he was hit in the neck or the chest -- a certain way, in a certain place -- he could have developed a pneumothorax [collapsed lung]. ... He would have instantly been down and unable to breathe and needing a chest tube."

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/32785972/doctor-says-teofimo-lopez-lucky-not-dead-boxer-found-fought-air-chest

Didn't see the fight on Saturday but fully expected Loma to dominate Commey, who is a B+ fighter. Every time he's tried to jump up to 'A' level he's lost, so Loma gave him a taste of world class once again. This was a fight between a 33 and 34 year old on Saturday so I'm not giving Loma credit for shit until he fights another 'A' fighter like Lopez, Tank, Haney or now even Kambosos. His prime is quickly going to deteriorate so hopefully he doesn't sit on it like GGG did and wake up 36 with only one or two marquee fights to his name. We know who the real dogs in the division are, and the Commey's and Nakatani's of the world ain't it. 

I see the Jake Paul v Woodley fight, version 2.0, is this weekend. No, I will not watch. 

The Fury v Wilder fight was shown again the other night. It's still amazing to see how a big man can move like Fury does. I do wish Wilder had spent less time talking and more time learning how to throw a left jab.