Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

jaron ennis fights on showtime tonight.  assuming he wins and looks good doing so, i wouldn't be opposed to seeing him fight the spence/crawford winner next. 

The ring walks just concluded.  Horrible.  Villa walked about as fast as a 110-year old with a walker would go. And Ennis, had a rapper with him who appeared to be poorly lip-syncing. 

it took both of them about 7 minutes to walk a hundred feet. I turned on the DVR and turned off the TV. 

such a waste. I’ll watch tomorrow before the race.  Ugh

• 2 weeks later...

Excited for this Saturday. Spence vs. Crawford is the biggest fights in years, in a year full of great fights. Boxing has had a solid post-covid turn imo, and has me excited to be a boxing fan again for the first time in a decade or so. UFC kinda took my attention, and I'm still very excited about that card this Saturday, but my highlight of the night will be Bud and Errol showing off high-level boxing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

who is everyone taking?  i think it will be close, but i think bud is still close enough to his prime that he'll end up taking it.  a year or two from now i doubt that would be the case.

bud does typically start slow and give away a few rounds though.  not a big deal when you can end up stopping your opponent, but it could prove fatal if you fight a guy you can't stop and it goes to the cards.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

who is everyone taking?  i think it will be close, but i think bud is still close enough to his prime that he'll end up taking it.  a year or two from now i doubt that would be the case.

bud does typically start slow and give away a few rounds though.  not a big deal when you can end up stopping your opponent, but it could prove fatal if you fight a guy you can't stop and it goes to the cards.

First fight in a while that I'm rooting for both men. Spence has a superjab but Buds iq can be the difference.  One thing for sure is I can't wait!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Honestly, something looked wrong with Spence before he even got in the ring.  Dude looked baked as fuck.  

He's just getting annihilated.  Damn.

Thought the same thing he looked high as hell and I know high when I see it 

Bud put on a fucking clinic.

Don't know if that was anywhere near the best Spence out there, though.  Dude seemed off from the jump.

Who the fuck is Bud going to fight now, though?  There's no one at Welter.  Does he move up?  Fight one of the Charlos?  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Bud put on a fucking clinic.

Don't know if that was anywhere near the best Spence out there, though.  Dude seemed off from the jump.

Who the fuck is Bud going to fight now, though?  There's no one at Welter.  Does he move up?  Fight one of the Charlos?  

Vergil Ortiz is about it. 

Canelo vs Crawford at 160. Do it. Would be awesome but Canelo is just too big so wouldn't be something that could happen. 

The preparation for this fight by Bud is all time great for any sport. Easiest way to take away somebody's jab is to throw a jab. Wow! Spence had an amazing game plan. All prefight we heard was how spence had the greatest jab of any boxer in the sport. Crawfords jab was beautiful. That jab dictated the whole fight and allowed him to do what he does best counter. I can't describe how impressive this win is. Wow! That man deserves all the praise.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

That was savage. Crawford took the 8th off knowing he could put him away at any time. 

I felt like this fight was over somewhere in the 4th-5th round when it became clear that Bud was better than Spence on the inside too. Errol has a pretty rigid style and not many counter-attacks to work with (which was said by a few better boxing brains than me before the fight), and it made the difference. He tries to smother his opponents but Bud was hurting him with short shots on the inside too and Spence would have to reset and get space again. Crawford is a damn bully in the ring, his style just doesn't make him seem like it. 

Great night. We got to witness greatness, wish the fight was better but damn it's hard not to be ecstatic over witnessing a coronation of an ATG.

• Hook 'Em 1

man what an incredible performance.  i have long though that crawford was the best p4p guy in the sport, but even i am in awe of that performance from last night.  just a complete and total antihalation pretty much from the get go.  he is so far and above everyone else at 147 that there is no one else for him to even fight.