Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t watch boxing and have never seen Fury before the clips online this morning? How the fuck is a fat, slow, unathletic looking dude the heavyweight champion? Was there a mass a exodus of talent to UFC

I guess you haven't seen a heavyweight UFC fight in a while either. Take a look at some of their contenders like Derrick Lewis and Tai Tuivasa and report back. The depth of the division just isn't there...... but also it's the most barbaric and basic division of them all, because hard punch to head beat muscle body many time.

The HW division in boxing has been thin as fuck for a long time.  It's gotten even worse as dudes have blown up in size.  Usyk is considered to be too small and a complete runt for a HW, yet he's exactly the same size Ali was when he was fighting.  Maybe even a few pounds heavier at this point.  And as size has gone up, boxing skill has fallen off a cliff.  It's just huge guys who can hit really hard.

As for Fury, he's a paper tiger and anyone that really pays attention to boxing has known it for a long time.  Of course, it gets more engagement, clicks, views, etc. for the media to prop him up as an ATG HW and whatnot, but his resume is thin as single ply toilet paper.  He has victories over two notable guys.  A 39 year old Wlad Klitschko in a snoozer of a fight that was essentially a hug-fest.  Neither guy deserved to win.  It was that bad.  Then, he was going to get popped for PEDs so he made up a story about mental health and disappeared to avoid the heat.  Never gave Wlad a rematch.  When he comes back he's fighting Cruiserweights like Sam Seferi.  Realizes he has to have a belt to be relevant whatsoever.  Does he fight AJ?  Nope.  He goes after Wilder.  A can crusher who literally has never had a notable, elite opponent.  A one-trick pony who is awful at everything else.  Takes Fury three fights to put that whole thing to bed and it wasn't easy for him either.  The second fight was the only one where he looked truly dominate.  Once those fights are done does he challenge AJ or Usyk?  Nope.  Right back to cheese fights against his pal Chisora and a shot-to-hell Whyte.  

Fury has made his career on avoiding the tougher fights and just being the bigger guy who grabs and leans on people.  He doesn't have real power.  He had good movement and boxing for a guy his size, but not taking care of himself and age have severely diminished those qualities.  That's why Francis looked so good against him.  He couldn't bully Francis and tire him out in the clinch.  Once that was off the table Fury was completely lost on what to do.  He legit hit Francis with an elbow and it didn't do a fucking thing.  He got massively exposed in this fight.  And I imagine he's going to do everything he can to wiggle out of fighting Usyk.  He certainly can't handle Usyk by the 23rd of December.  Seven weeks?  Usyk will eat him alive.

Props to the announcers, btw, who said Fury was shaped like a six foot nine bag of milk. 🤣

Edited by SpiralOut

On 10/30/2023 at 9:00 AM, BurdineBandit said:

I guess you haven't seen a heavyweight UFC fight in a while either. Take a look at some of their contenders like Derrick Lewis and Tai Tuivasa and report back. The depth of the division just isn't there...... but also it's the most barbaric and basic division of them all, because hard punch to head beat muscle body many time.

Their heavyweight GOAT in Stipe hasn't fought in 2 years & has an actual day job & Jones has entered the division after not fighting for 3 years. The UFC is never going to get elite HW sized athletes until they start paying more. Iirc Ngannou's last UFC HW title fight his purse was 500k & he reportedly received 10m for the Fury fight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, pacmanmakesitrain said:

That fight was about like watching paint dry. He needs to get in the ring with Tank.

Boring as shit. Terrible.

From the ESPN article:

LAS VEGAS -- Shakur Stevenson entered the fight on Thursday against Edwin De Los Santos looking to make a statement as his star grows brighter. And now, while he won a title in a third weight class, his stock is down after one of the worst TV main events in recent memory.

Stevenson offered no excuses after he eked by De Los Santos via scores of 116-112, 115-113 and 116-112 in a lightweight title fight where neither fighter reached double-digit connects in any of the 12 rounds.

"I had a bad performance tonight," said Stevenson, ESPN's No. 8 pound-for-pound boxer. "That's all I'm really focused on. I wasn't feeling too good, so I'll live with it. It's OK....

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Jesus chridt deaontay wilder is such trash. 

It is absolutely criminal that the people handling him have never forced him to learn how to throw a jab. Maybe he believed that all he needed to do is throw the Big Right.

All he does is wait, wait, wait, for the massive right hand. I know he has a lot of victories & KOs but, I think he has left a lot to be desired in a historical perspective.

It’s a shame.

• 1 month later...

yeah teofimo has not done anythign exciting in quite some time.  he's a lot like berlenga who started off super hot and then plateued once he started facing legit competition.  he has better wins than berlenga for sure (although the only reason he beat loma is because loma decided to not start trying until very late in the fight), but the excitement when you hear he is going to fight is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah teofimo has not done anythign exciting in quite some time.  he's a lot like berlenga who started off super hot and then plateued once he started facing legit competition.  he has better wins than berlenga for sure (although the only reason he beat loma is because loma decided to not start trying until very late in the fight), but the excitement when you hear he is going to fight is gone.

Yep.  He's calling out Crawford now, which is hilarious.  Crawford would put a worse beating on him than he put on Spence.

He got his hype from beating Loma.  Loma pushed Teo to the limit and almost won with a bum shoulder which caused him to do dick for six rounds while fighting at a weight he shouldn't be at. 

I mean, how are you a top level boxer yet don't understand how to cut off a ring?    

I recorded last night and just finished watching. Davis looked very good against a guy who should stop fighting. He had his time and that time is passed. It will be fun watching Davis in the next few years.

The Lopez fight was cruddy. I think that the scorecards could have gone either way but, that 117-111, card was crap. Lopez needs to spend more time working in the ring rather than worrying about that stupid as fuck ring entrance. Those things are asinine. He needs to retire, The Takeover, as well.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Ashamed to admit I’m definitely pumped.  If Tyson takes him out I’ll piss my pants in excitement.  But he’s gonna be 58 and Paul isn’t a total tomato can.  
Texas may not even sanction this mess unless Mike really shows up in good shape for whenever that decision is made.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

I hope to god it's a legit boxing match, because if so, Tyson will end that little cunt.

Doubtful. The "legit boxing match" part. They're both looking for a payday, 

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ashamed to admit I’m definitely pumped.  If Tyson takes him out I’ll piss my pants in excitement.  But he’s gonna be 58 and Paul isn’t a total tomato can.  
Texas may not even sanction this mess unless Mike really shows up in good shape for whenever that decision is made.  

bruh they sanctioned the worst mma match of all time with Kimbo v Dada 5000 where they both almost died  so I think they are good 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

bruh they sanctioned the worst mma match of all time with Kimbo v Dada 5000 where they both almost died  so I think they are good 

I guess I’m thinking this is too good to be true.  An in shape 58 yo all time great vs a ‘you tube sensation’ is fucking great in my book.  Smash him, please.  If dumbfuck wins it’s gonna suck though.  Prime Tyson is still the most fearsome athlete of all time for the olds like me.  

Two notable fights today:

Zhang v. Parker.  Zhang knocked Parker down twice, but he has worse cardio than an 80 year old lifelong smoker so he did absolutely dick the rest of the time.  Easy decision victory for Parker even though he didn't do much either.  

Joshua v. Ngannou.  For some reason, people thought Ngannou actually had a chance in this fight?  Losing to a coked up, fat as fuck, didn't train Fury in a decision doesn't make you a boxer.  AJ proved that tonight by sparking Ngannou out in the 2nd round.  Knocked him down in the 1st as well.  On the final KO punch, I legitimately thought AJ might have killed him.  Absolutely no defense from the Cameroonian.  AJ swung in a vicious right hand from Timbuktu and folded Ngannou like a cheap tent.  Maybe people are finally figuring out why Fury has been ducking Usyk for ages and why he's never going to get anywhere near a ring with AJ in it.

2 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Two notable fights today:

Zhang v. Parker.  Zhang knocked Parker down twice, but he has worse cardio than an 80 year old lifelong smoker so he did absolutely dick the rest of the time.  Easy decision victory for Parker even though he didn't do much either.  

Joshua v. Ngannou.  For some reason, people thought Ngannou actually had a chance in this fight?  Losing to a coked up, fat as fuck, didn't train Fury in a decision doesn't make you a boxer.  AJ proved that tonight by sparking Ngannou out in the 2nd round.  Knocked him down in the 1st as well.  On the final KO punch, I legitimately thought AJ might have killed him.  Absolutely no defense from the Cameroonian.  AJ swung in a vicious right hand from Timbuktu and folded Ngannou like a cheap tent.  Maybe people are finally figuring out why Fury has been ducking Usyk for ages and why he's never going to get anywhere near a ring with AJ in it.

It’s weird what happens when a boxer takes a boxing match seriously against an MMA fighter. But I was told on this thread I was wrong about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great card on Amazon by PBC tonight.  

Rolly Romero got clowned by Cruz.  And now Fundora and Tszyu are both bleeding like stuck pigs and in a war.  Shit looks like a horror movie.

Edited by SpiralOut

So, Fundora definitely deserved the win by the numbers.  However, without that cut, Tszyu easily finishes that kid.  He was blocking every jab Fundora threw before the cut.  Afterwards he couldn't see shit and just kept getting tagged with it.  

And if Tim is smart he'll fire his entire corner.  Cutman didn't do a fucking thing to even slow the bleeding down.  And his coach/trainer should have been pushing to have the fight stopped before the 4th so it would be a NC.  Now he's got a loss, doesn't have the belts, and there's no rematch clause.  So Fundora is going to take a big money fight against Spence or Crawford and get killed.  All while Tim is missing out on the money and the belts and has to work his way back.  

• 3 weeks later...