Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t want to hear anything about Paul being a decent boxer. He’s fucking terrible. He has zero ability to fight inside and can’t do anything other than over power smaller non boxers 

Of course he's not a real tv level boxer. He's had several years to do nothing but train 24/7 and he's gotten to the point of being what Freddie Roach called after watching him train a "club level guy". He's lost to the only boxer he's faced and Fury's little brother is a club level guy too. Dime a dozen in any decently sized city. He's just a social media creation that feeds America's fascination for the bizarre and gives UFC guys the only chance to make real fight level money to show up and embarrass themselves in a sport they've never been involved in. 

emanuel navarrete vs. oscar valdez is tonight on espn.  should be an action-packed fight.  i'm a big fan of navarrete, but he has a history of not taking his training as seriously as he should.  he was in real trouble in his last fight before he ultimately got the stoppage.  if he didn't taking his training camp 100% seriously, valdez could put him to sleep.

11 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

emanuel navarrete vs. oscar valdez is tonight on espn.  should be an action-packed fight.  i'm a big fan of navarrete, but he has a history of not taking his training as seriously as he should.  he was in real trouble in his last fight before he ultimately got the stoppage.  if he didn't taking his training camp 100% seriously, valdez could put him to sleep.

this has been highly entertaining through 6 rounds.  

Navarete fucking throws hands. 

Valdez didn't have  a good strategy. He was fighting from the outside vs a guy who has 6 inches and just throws.  should have been working to his left, staying close, and working to the body of Navarete...  Instead he accepted a face beating and let Navarete keep the power distance, while throwing overhands and missing most of them. 

I really appreciate the work from Navarete... I could watch that every week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

https://dubz.co/c/b6cca9

So yeah, Joyce is awful.  Seems to be a trend with British boxers.  Fight a bunch of their countrymen on the island.  Get hyped up even though they're severely lacking in any boxing skills.  Then get demolished once they face some real talent.

I mean, look at that KO.  That's like painting a target on your face and saying "Please, drop nuke here."

Joyce's career is over.  To be fair, he made it farther than anyone without an ounce of boxing skill deserves to.  That "I've got a granite chin" stuff works when you're fighting dregs and journeymen.  Turns out when you go up against a real HW with power you gotta know some basic Boxing 101 shit like moving your head, not leaving your hands down around your waist, etc.

As for Zhang?  Dude has power, accuracy, and he's a good guy.  I imagine he'll be avoided like the fucking plague.  He'd be a good matchup for anyone outside of Usyk who would just run circles around him.  I'd love to see him in there versus any of the top guys.  Andy, AJ, Fury (will never happen since Fury doesn't do real boxing anymore), or Wilder.

• Hook 'Em 1

Charlo has nothing for him.

Canelo has had one game plan for a long time now.  He uses that Mexican beef and is bulked the fuck up.  Just wings power shots over and over.  Lots of them don't land, but a bunch do.  And these guys around 168 can't handle it.  

They don't have the power to worry Canelo who has a chin almost on the level of Triple G.  So he just swings away and eventually these dudes crumble like Charlo is doing right now.

Charlo disappointed me. His brother would have probably fared worse. Now I'm not going to be able to hear them speak about lions and run that whole "chip on the shoulder" mentality as anything other than 100% bluff. Hope Crawford shuns him for that fight too. He doesn't deserve to be rewarded after that heartless performance. If he doesn't take on Tszyu, then he has no dance partner left really. 

Still don't like Benavidez for Canelo. I see him being too big and long like Bivol was. Canelo is just strong, and looks natural at 168, but honestly doesn't belong fighting big 168ers. He's not tall or long enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t watch boxing and have never seen Fury before the clips online this morning? How the fuck is a fat, slow, unathletic looking dude the heavyweight champion? Was there a mass a exodus of talent to UFC

HW is always void of depth in both UFC and boxing. Deaontay Wilder held the belt for having an arsenal consisting of 1 punch  

But some of these big fuckers have talent. Andy Ruiz is built like chest of drawers and has lightning hands. Fury looks clownish at times because he can afford to be. When he turns it up it’s fundamentals delivered from a gargantuan body. Watch him dismantle Wilder in their 3 fights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Fury is tall fat real life version of Brad Pitt’s character from Snatch.  At least that’s how I’ve always seen him. 

He has personal demons and he gets lazy as fuck, despite claiming to have gone through the longest training camp for this fight.  But when he's on he's on.  I think he way underestimated Ngannou in this one - but so did most of the world.