2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Deadline shopping list:

1. SP4 

2. Above average bat capable of playing 1B/LF (preferably LH)

3. High leverage RP

All 3 can be rentals and it might actually be better if they are.  Next year’s rotation could be full with Framber, Brown, Javier, France, Urquidy, and possibly Garcia/McCullers.  Plus both Bielak and Whitley will be out of options.  If they think Gilbert will be ready then the bat they get should also probably be a rental.  

I wouldn’t want to give up any of their top prospects so I think they should shop in the 2nd and 3rd tier of the trade market.  More than outside help, they just need their existing roster to get healthy and produce.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Deadline shopping list:

1. SP4 

2. Above average bat capable of playing 1B/LF (preferably LH)

3. High leverage RP

All 3 can be rentals and it might actually be better if they are.  Next year’s rotation could be full with Framber, Brown, Javier, France, Urquidy, and possibly Garcia/McCullers.  Plus both Bielak and Whitley will be out of options.  If they think Gilbert will be ready then the bat they get should also probably be a rental.  

I wouldn’t want to give up any of their top prospects so I think they should shop in the 2nd and 3rd tier of the trade market.  More than outside help, they just need their existing roster to get healthy and produce.

After the playoffs expanded to 12 teams from 10, the deadline trade market is vastly different from what we are accustomed to.

There are more teams that have a chance at the playoffs, thus more buyers. There are fewer teams that are out of the playoffs, thus fewer sellers.

It is going to be much more expensive to make a deal. Your shopping list of 3 players would probably do more long term harm than short term good.

26 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

After the playoffs expanded to 12 teams from 10, the deadline trade market is vastly different from what we are accustomed to.

There are more teams that have a chance at the playoffs, thus more buyers. There are fewer teams that are out of the playoffs, thus fewer sellers.

It is going to be much more expensive to make a deal. Your shopping list of 3 players would probably do more long term harm than short term good.

It depends on the market.  There’s still 7-8 teams whose deadline approach is tbd, and what happens with them will set the market, especially for SP.  As things stand I agree the price of a SP4 like Giolito will be too high to make sense for Houston.  Same thing for a bat like Bellinger (who as of now is unlikely to even be available).  I do think the RP market will be ok, because the teams already committed to selling each have 2-3 arms that teams will be interested in, and because buying teams evaluate RP so differently.  But if 3-4 teams out of the Cardinals, Mariners, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Pirates, Padres, and Phillies decide to sell, the SP and rental bat markets will loosen up at which point it’ll make more sense for Houston to make those moves.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

It depends on the market.  There’s still 7-8 teams whose deadline approach is tbd, and what happens with them will set the market, especially for SP.  As things stand I agree the price of a SP4 like Giolito will be too high to make sense for Houston.  Same thing for a bat like Bellinger (who as of now is unlikely to even be available).  I do think the RP market will be ok, because the teams already committed to selling each have 2-3 arms that teams will be interested in, and because buying teams evaluate RP so differently.  But if 3-4 teams out of the Cardinals, Mariners, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Pirates, Padres, and Phillies decide to sell, the SP and rental bat markets will loosen up at which point it’ll make more sense for Houston to make those moves.

we could throw in some posters 

Just now, David Dennison said:

Are we above .500 at the break?

By 1 game... this team kinda stinks. Don't see any sense of urgency either, which I recognize is just my frustration and I'm totally projecting. But they don't really seem to care.