2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 10.16.39.png

Sure, when your best bat is on the IL, why not sit the next best bat too? Makes total sense. After all, we’re the Astros and are entitled to make the playoffs, so no need to attempt to win regular season games. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Sure, when your best bat is on the IL, why not sit the next best bat too? Makes total sense. After all, we’re the Astros and are entitled to make the playoffs, so no need to attempt to win regular season games. 

Hey now. Cut some slack.

it was a tough decision.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Our thin minor league system is starting to catch up. Few players, if any, have a high likelihood to be above average major leaguers. Brown has his work cut out for him. Luckily that is his strength. 

Disagree.  There’s definitely a gap.  The few guys with high ceilings who started the season in AAA (Dirden, Leon, Perez, Lee) have disappointed.  Same for the SP, as Whitley, Murray, Tamarez, Dubin, and Solis haven’t pitched well.  But there have been several guys break out who are now in AA.  On the position player side, Gilbert, Barber, Corona, Dezenzo, and Loperfido all have ceilings to be above average or even star players.  And Kouba, Gordon, and Arrighetti have all looked great on the mound. They are all just another 3/4+ of a season away.

But Houston’s current problem isn’t the farm.  It’s bad luck with injuries (3 SP plus significant injuries to Altuve, Alvarez, and Brantley, 3 of their top 5 hitters), slumps (Bregman, Abreu, Montero), and poor lineup construction (Julks and Maldonado playing every day over better hitters).

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Disagree.  There’s definitely a gap.  The few guys with high ceilings who started the season in AAA (Dirden, Leon, Perez, Lee) have disappointed.  Same for the SP, as Whitley, Murray, Tamarez, Dubin, and Solis haven’t pitched well.  But there have been several guys break out who are now in AA.  On the position player side, Gilbert, Barber, Corona, Dezenzo, and Loperfido all have ceilings to be above average or even star players.  And Kouba, Gordon, and Arrighetti have all looked great on the mound. They are all just another 3/4+ of a season away.

But Houston’s current problem isn’t the farm.  It’s bad luck with injuries (3 SP plus significant injuries to Altuve, Alvarez, and Brantley, 3 of their top 5 hitters), slumps (Bregman, Abreu, Montero), and poor lineup construction (Julks and Maldonado playing every day over better hitters).

It’s really mostly all Dusty’s fault (beyond the injuries) for refusing to consistently trot out his best lineup. He’s basically hamstringing us on an almost daily basis with a suboptimal lineup. 
I get rest. Cool. But be smarter about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I don't think Dubin is the answer over Bielak. He can throw some heat but he walks too many and gets in trouble often. I think he's going to get shelled at the next level. 

bielak had options and dubon can pitch today, if needed 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

The comments to that tweet are terrible. They are right, Dusty is a fucking moron that last year finally found a team that he couldn't fuck up. The two biggest points they make is Dusty won a WS with Pena at 2 and Bregman, yet I don't think he's trotted out a lineup with those 2 in those spots very many times this season.

Altuve(4)-Pena(6)-Alvarez(DH)-Bregman(5)-Tucker(9)-Diaz(2)-McCormick(7)-Abreu/Julks/Dubon(3)-Meyers(8)

That is the best lineup when Alvarez returns. 1-7 is solid to elite, 8 and 9 will never be good with those 4 guys, but at least Meyers can play above average defense in CF.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I swear we are so dumb. Turned to my wife at beginning of inning and said- we are leaving him in 1 inning too long. And then not to hook when instead it was a mound visit is just dumb too. Could have put the fire out. 
These guys running shit at the field level are really bumming me out. Yes- injuries have sucked. Yes- some guys have slumped and that’s sucked. But we just aren’t doing shit right. 
Also- De La Cruz is special. 

29 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Another Reds fuckup lol

Nice hit by Diaz though

He hits the ball very fucking hard all the time. 
Needs a little more launch angle and a little more plate discipline and he will be special. Even without that he’s probably a borderline all star bat at catcher.