2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Madris AAA stats this year (60 games)- 10 HRs 36 RBIs .249/.363/.446 .809 OPS 43 BBs 70 SOs

Madris MLB stats with the Pirates (2022, 39 games)- 1 HR 7 RBIs .177/.244/.265 .509 OPS 10 BBs 31 SOs

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Is there any obvious move to make room on the 40-man I'm missing? 

someone is hurt or dfa someone ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Edit: scratch that, can't be Bielak yet because pitchers have to stay on the minor league roster 15 days before being recalled. 

Also max 13 pitchers on the roster now.  I hope that goes down to 12 eventually.

Sending down Bielak to call up a guy with an 8 ERA at AAA still makes no sense to me.

I don't like going down to 2 catchers either because Dusty absolutely is hoing to play Yainer less because of it.

• Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

WHy do you say these things?  Meyers is on pace to put up 2.5 WAR this season.  There is literally not the slightest possible chance that they are DFA'ing him.  

He's not going to play enough to run up his dWAR to get close to that number, especially with his oWAR cratering due to the regression to his natural ability.

48 minutes ago, runthebone said:

That fucking cunt Manfred.  Making the Astros the scapegoat was the worst decision, you fucking bitch.  You want to hold every team and player accountable that stole signs?  Open that can of worms, cuntface.

Stern but fair imo

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's not going to play enough to run up his dWAR to get close to that number, especially with his oWAR cratering due to the regression to his natural ability.

Sure. But he's still on pace for that number over a full year and is very valuable to most of the league as, at worst, a 4th OF.  You absolutely don't ever see a guy like that DFA'd.

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

If you’re 0-20, what kind of hitting streak gets you to 2.5 war ?

WAR isn't measured in 20 AB increments. On balance he is 10% below average offensively.  He plays a defense first position and he does it excellently.  He's a valuable player even if he's not hitting much. He will NEVER be DFA'd as long as he has club control, isn't making a ton of money, and can at worst come in as a defensive replacement or play a really good CF for you when your guy is on the bench. If the Astros DFA'd him there would be literally 29 teams in line to put him on their 40 man rosters and likely 22-25 of them would be on their 26 man roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

WAR isn't measured in 20 AB increments. On balance he is 10% below average offensively.  He plays a defense first position and he does it excellently.  He's a valuable player even if he's not hitting much. He will NEVER be DFA'd as long as he has club control, isn't making a ton of money, and can at worst come in as a defensive replacement or play a really good CF for you when your guy is on the bench. If the Astros DFA'd him there would be literally 29 teams in line to put him on their 40 man rosters and likely 22-25 of them would be on their 26 man roster. 

Astros love CFs named Jake M. Seriously, he's a lot like Marisnick minus the arm. Marisnick was an excellent 4th OF, defensive replacement on really good teams. Meyers should start maybe 1 or 2 times a week, especially against LHP if there was a lefty bat to platoon him with. The only two full-time OFs should be McCormick and Tucker.

I don't understand the Madris move unless he's a place holder until Brantley makes his debut and immediately goes back on the IL and shuts it down for the season, because Dirden has outperformed Madris this season in AAA. Since both require a 40 man move, this move is just fucking retarded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Astros love CFs named Jake M. Seriously, he's a lot like Marisnick minus the arm. Marisnick was an excellent 4th OF, defensive replacement on really good teams. Meyers should start maybe 1 or 2 times a week, especially against LHP if there was a lefty bat to platoon him with. The only two full-time OFs should be McCormick and Tucker.

I don't understand the Madris move unless he's a place holder until Brantley makes his debut and immediately goes back on the IL and shuts it down for the season, because Dirden has outperformed Madris this season in AAA. Since both require a 40 man move, this move is just fucking retarded.

Agreed with all. 
we talked about Marisnick on the podcast and the year he had like 2 WAR and 150 AB’s.  

WHy do you say these things?  Meyers is on pace to put up 2.5 WAR this season.  There is literally not the slightest possible chance that they are DFA'ing him.  

You must be a heck of a lawyer Wulaw. Like a pit bull guarding a bone. Your defense of Jake is relentless, savage and consistent!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DallasGatr said:

You must be a heck of a lawyer Wulaw. Like a pit bull guarding a bone. Your defense of Jake is relentless, savage and consistent!

I don't think he's a great player. I thought, at one time, that he might be able to grow and develop into that but he can't.  I do know with absolute certainty he's worthy of a roster spot even on a really really good team. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't think he's a great player. I thought, at one time, that he might be able to grow and develop into that but he can't.  I do know with absolute certainty he's worthy of a roster spot even on a really really good team. 

Agreed, but I also want to note that he is not interchangeable with Chas. He’s a 4th OF. Chas should be an everyday guy.

I know you know this. But Chas and Meyers have frequently been sort of lumped together as equal entities since the both came up around the same time. They shouldn’t be. Chas is a good everyday player (who inexplicably doesn’t get to play every day).

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

he's never been the same since his injury. 

imo, we have 2 main trade pieces - chas and lee. can we find a better bat than chas ? makes no sense trading for LF, and keeping chas. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agreed, but I also want to note that he is not interchangeable with Chas. He’s a 4th OF. Chas should be an everyday guy.

I know you know this. But Chas and Meyers have frequently been sort of lumped together as equal entities since the both came up around the same time. They shouldn’t be. Chas is a good everyday player (who inexplicably doesn’t get to play every day).

Agreed.  I always thought Jake had the higher ceiling and was worth a shot at exploring said ceiling.  It's pretty obvious now he isn't going to hit that ceiling and Chas is pretty clearly a well above average CF so yeah- Jake is a super 4th OF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

imo, we have 2 main trade pieces - chas and lee. can we find a better bat than chas ? makes no sense trading for LF, and keeping chas. 

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.  We can't trade Chas, unless you are suggesting that we are sellers this season.  Is that what you are recommending?  Playing for 2024 on June 23rd?

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Wait, why would we trade Chas? For what? Offense is a problem. He’s one of our best offensive players. He’s cheap.

Who could we realistically get for Chas that matches/exceeds the value of a 3.5-win player on a pre-arb contract?

I'd prefer we don't make a move and hope Brantley comes back 

we're not trading for 1B. if we trade for a catcher that screws diaz even more. Yordan will be play LF some when he comes back. I don't see where the at bats are at for another bat as is, much more so IF (and that's a big if) brantley comes back

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Wait, why would we trade Chas? For what? Offense is a problem. He’s one of our best offensive players. He’s cheap.

Who could we realistically get for Chas that matches/exceeds the value of a 3.5-win player on a pre-arb contract?

A potential 3.5 win player on a contract that hasn't started pre-arbitration yet.  Chas only makes sense as a sale, and if you are selling you better get a real piece back because he's valuable.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

A potential 3.5 win player on a contract that hasn't started pre-arbitration yet.  Chas only makes sense as a sale, and if you are selling you better get a real piece back because he's valuable.  

it's all talk, but I'd be curious to see what the return might be 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Right - only makes sense if you’re getting a guy who may be that good later…meaning, if we’re ready to start remaking the roster (at least to a degree).

(And honestly, if the front office can’t make Dusty play him every day, maybe you get more value this way. But I’d rather replace Dusty and hold onto the guy who is a known quantity.)

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it's all talk, but I'd be curious to see what the return might be 

Agreed. I'd also love to know what the return might be on Tucker if he flat refuses to extend for the same reason. Gilbert is coming and I bet his floor is... Chas.  I bet his Ceiling is Tucker if Tucker was a plus CF instead of a plus RF.  So yeah, if you can move either guy at the deadline for a lot of what could help you in the future it's a conversation that should be had. I don't think the Astros will even consider this by the way, but if you really believe in Gilbert (and there are plenty of other OF that you would expect at least one of them to be average MLB OF) then that's due diligence you ought to do.  

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

tucker still has two more arbitration years, he's not going anywhere

Chas has 3 more. 

Chas has more WAR then Tucker this year in less PA.  For their careers Tucker averages 1 more WAR per season if you make the PA's equivalent for Chas.  Chas is a lot better than people think.  I'd have to get a lot back before I'd sign off on trading him.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hmmmm

Career .177 hitter 

dfa Jake ?

My guess is they move Whitley to the 60-day IL but take that fwiw

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Gilbert is slashing a smooth .205/.351/.254 in 122 ABs since being promoted to Corpus.  They absolutely should not be counting on him, especially not as soon as next year.

He's playing hurt I think and was only recently inserted back into the field to play defense

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

Gilbert is slashing a smooth .205/.351/.254 in 122 ABs since being promoted to Corpus.  They absolutely should not be counting on him, especially not as soon as next year.

True, and he's also been battling and elbow injury for a month.  He lit Corpus on fire for a week before he got hurt.  I'm not sure why they let him play through it but whatever.  He's back to playing the field now so he should be doing better. 

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

My guess is they move Whitley to the 60-day IL but take that fwiw

He's playing hurt I think and was only recently inserted back into the field to play defense

Whitley to the 60 makes no sense because it starts his service clock. You could move Brantley or Urquidy to the 60 and buy a little time.  Or get rid of the worthless IF we saw earlier.  Or Salazar.  Or a couple other likely candidates.  

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Explain please

My understanding is any time spent on the 60 man DL accrues major league service time, earns major league income for the player etc.  So, if the Astros have other options for the moment, like 60 day DL for Brantley or Urquidy (remember- that shit is retroactive) they'd do that before they put Whitley on the 60 day DL (I think). 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

My understanding is any time spent on the 60 man DL accrues major league service time, earns major league income for the player etc.  So, if the Astros have other options for the moment, like 60 day DL for Brantley or Urquidy (remember- that shit is retroactive) they'd do that before they put Whitley on the 60 day DL (I think). 

I think you're overthinking this aspect of it, he's already on the 40-man roster? As I understand it (and I may be wrong here) It's really not about starting his "service time clock" fwtf that means  as much as it is about his remaining option years/accrued service time. I don't think that has much bearing on a decision whether or not to put him on the 60-day IL.

From Chandler Rome's Athletic piece earlier this month: 

The Astros still added him to their 40-man roster that winter to protect him from Rule 5 selection. It’s worth wondering how much longer Whitley can stay there. That this is his last year with minor-league options only intensifies the question. 

Whitley is still just 25 years old. At points this season, he showed the type of stuff that can get outs at the major-league level. Extracting some value out of him feels mandatory, especially given the amount of time and money Houston has invested in him since 2016. 

Before Whitley strained his lat, the team strongly considered calling him up as its sixth starter during this stretch of 17 games in a row. If Whitley does return to pitch in August as Brown predicted, it is possible the club experiments with him in a bullpen role at the major-league level, people familiar with the team’s thinking said. 

The Astros believe Whitley could be eligible to receive a fourth option year this winter, too.  According to major-league rules, fourth options can be awarded to players with fewer than five full seasons of service time in either the major or minor leagues. 

Whitley’s lengthy list of injuries and large amount of time on the injured list make it difficult to ascertain whether he’s accrued five seasons of time or not. Whitley started his professional career in 2016.

“It might be close,” Brown said. “If we can get an option, we’ll take an option. But it might be close.”

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I think you're overthinking this aspect of it, he's already on the 40-man roster? As I understand it (and I may be wrong here) It's really not about starting his "service time clock" fwtf that means  as much as it is about his remaining option years/accrued service time. I don't think that has much bearing on a decision whether or not to put him on the 60-day IL.

From Chandler Rome's Athletic piece earlier this month: 

NO- 60 day DL means he starts accruing Major League service time.  not organizational service time or options.  I'm almost positive.  we shall see later today I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

NO- 60 day DL means he starts accruing Major League service time.  not organizational service time or options.  I'm almost positive.  we shall see later today I suppose. 

Who cares even if that's the case as he will still have to accrue 172 days on the major league roster for one year of service time.

His future with Houston is already very much in doubt so I don't really see how the service time clock is that much of an issue.

• Hook 'Em 1