2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Kid who caught Breggys homerun ball yesterday is on my son's baseball team, was his 10th birthday yesterday and brought a sign that said "its my 10th birthday,  hit me a homerun" and his favorite player hit one to him. Our baseball family thread was blowing up yesterday...such a good family. Baseball is weird like that, next thing you know we're gonna fuck around and turn this shit around. 

#HTownPride 

Fox 26 interviewing him right now, should be on news tonight

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

For the love of god, can someone take this decision away from Dusty? What does anyone need to see to understand that Chas is a good starting CF?

Dana brown discusses the topic of Dusty’s line ups ….

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/sean-salisbury/content/2023-06-21-dana-brown-positive-injury-updates-the-daily-lineups-2nd-half-mvp/

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Summary?  Also, has anyone seen an article or something trying to diagnose Montero?  I know relievers tend to have high variance performance but not this extreme.  

Rafael Montero after 30.1 innings and 32 appearances: 7.04 ERA, 1.79 WHIP

bring him in early innings 

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Summary?  Also, has anyone seen an article or something trying to diagnose Montero?  I know relievers tend to have high variance performance but not this extreme.  

I think it’s a loss of command mixed with some bad luck (his xERA is 2 runs lower than his era).  His velocity is there.  His k/bb rates are there.  His hr rate is almost 4x what it was last season and his babip is 145 pts higher than last season.  So even though his stuff is the same, he’s leaving balls where they get punished, and those hard hit balls are leaving the yard and finding holes more than normal.  His 4 seamer is what’s gotten rocked the worst and it looks like he’s left it in the zone way more than last season.  Given his contract and the fact that his velocity is there, this is on the pitching coaches to fix.  I think he needs to throw his 4 seamer less and his sinker more, and he needs to be used only in extremely low leverage until he gets right.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

Good to see Yanier heat up with more playing time. Most of us assumed he would. It’s easy to slot him in the DH, but his role gets tricky when Yordan comes back. He should obviously catch much much more after the All Star Break. But Dusty.

Chas is hard to figure. Yes he should play more, especially at home. But Jake has a role. This would be a lot of easier if one of them batted left. I don’t think either is an everyday starting CF, but Chas should absolutely play everyday with Yordan out. 

Did Dubon really play 1B today? Holy shit is this real life?!

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

So we're three plus weeks from Yordan returning because he's certainly not back before the ASG. 

Three games @LAD

Three games @ STL

Four games @ Arlington

Two games vs COL

Three games vs SEA

Can we go 9-6 over this stretch?

They’re gonna go 10-5 and win 8 of the last 9.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Not the players, the field.

romeo santos concert this weekend. Saw the trucks and stage equipment unloaded and read to go. Big set up 

I’ll guess Astros / mmp just keeps a huge chunk of grass on stand by, out around bay city. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 hours ago, Gourmand said:

So we're three plus weeks from Yordan returning because he's certainly not back before the ASG. 

Three games @LAD

Three games @ STL

Four games @ Arlington

Two games vs COL

Three games vs SEA

Can we go 9-6 over this stretch?

Sure, but 6-9 is probably more likely.

10 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think it’s a loss of command mixed with some bad luck (his xERA is 2 runs lower than his era).  His velocity is there.  His k/bb rates are there.  His hr rate is almost 4x what it was last season and his babip is 145 pts higher than last season.  So even though his stuff is the same, he’s leaving balls where they get punished, and those hard hit balls are leaving the yard and finding holes more than normal.  His 4 seamer is what’s gotten rocked the worst and it looks like he’s left it in the zone way more than last season.  

Even based on his xERA, he's been terrible this season. He gets behind far too many batters. I'm not sure if he's nibbling or just can't command his pitches, but either way, he ends up behind batters and then finds himself in a fastball count throwing a very hittable meatball over the heart of the plate. As unlucky as his outing in Seattle was early in the season, the Crawford AB is a great example of his issue. Nibbled around the edges against a 9-hole hitter and was then forced to throw something over the heart of the plate when everyone, including Crawford, knew it was coming. That's not a recipe for success. 

11 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think it’s a loss of command mixed with some bad luck (his xERA is 2 runs lower than his era).  His velocity is there.  His k/bb rates are there.  His hr rate is almost 4x what it was last season and his babip is 145 pts higher than last season.  So even though his stuff is the same, he’s leaving balls where they get punished, and those hard hit balls are leaving the yard and finding holes more than normal.  His 4 seamer is what’s gotten rocked the worst and it looks like he’s left it in the zone way more than last season.  Given his contract and the fact that his velocity is there, this is on the pitching coaches to fix.  I think he needs to throw his 4 seamer less and his sinker more, and he needs to be used only in extremely low leverage until he gets right.

His BABIP is higher because players are hitting the shit out of his stuff. Top row is 2022 and bottom is 2023.

EV             Hard Hit %               Line Drive      Grounders       Fly Balls           Ground Balls/Flyballs

image.png.ad184489c5810d522f5b1c5fd326a4e0.png

EV is average exit velocity. 

These numbers are UGLY. He needs to be sent down to get his shit fixed.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

12 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I trust the summary is Baker has muscle spasms in his writing hand, leading to players all over the place in the batting line up.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

So Bielak is probably coming back up with Salazar getting optioned?

Yeah.  The Beilak demotion had nothing to do with them being unhappy with his performance and literally was just about him throwing the day before, being on the shelf for 4 days, and then having an upcoming off day where they didn't need him.  I think. Who the hell knows for sure sometimes, but that's my sense. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah.  The Beilak demotion had nothing to do with them being unhappy with his performance and literally was just about him throwing the day before, being on the shelf for 4 days, and then having an upcoming off day where they didn't need him.  I think. Who the hell knows for sure sometimes, but that's my sense. 

It makes sense to me considering the innings the bullpen has thrown. They need to keep arms fresh right now. Bielak is scheduled to start on Saturday for Sugar Land but I think they plan on having him around this weekend in case one of the scheduled starters can't pitch deep into the game. 

Edit: scratch that, can't be Bielak yet because pitchers have to stay on the minor league roster 15 days before being recalled. 

Edited by Gourmand

27 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

It makes sense to me considering the innings the bullpen has thrown. They need to keep arms fresh right now. Bielak is scheduled to start on Saturday for Sugar Land but I think they plan on having him around this weekend in case one of the scheduled starters can't pitch deep into the game. 

Edit: scratch that, can't be Bielak yet because pitchers have to stay on the minor league roster 15 days before being recalled. 

Yeah- My guess was he was going to come off the Minor league list and be back in the starting rotation after our day off on Monday. I think we are off monday.  For now we probably have some other reliever from the 40 man who gets moved down next Wednesday or thursday or whenever Bielak's next turn to start is. So, in essence, we should have about everyone except Framber, Javier, Brown, France & Blanco available in the bullpen this weekend in LA. I think Bielak probably replaces Blanco in the rotation on Friday in Arlington, but like I said- who knows.  

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- My guess was he was going to come off the Minor league list and be back in the starting rotation after our day off on Monday. I think we are off monday.  For now we probably have some other reliever from the 40 man who gets moved down next Wednesday or thursday or whenever Bielak's next turn to start is. So, in essence, we should have about everyone except Framber, Javier, Brown, France & Blanco available in the bullpen this weekend in LA. I think Bielak probably replaces Blanco in the rotation on Friday in Arlington, but like I said- who knows.  

Joel Kuhnel, come on down!

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

With Salazar gone does that deter Diaz batting DH? If so, not smart unless Diaz is going to catch 5 days a week. We really can’t afford to take his bat out of the lineup. I mean we can’t but Dusty can. 

It shouldn't.  Dusty voluntarily lost the DH Sunday b/c he's an idiot, and that didn't seem to bother him. It really shouldn't matter a whole hell of a lot. If some situation like that comes up once a month because Maldy becomes an auto PH we are better off then than how we have been going.

• Hook 'Em 1