My Microwave died

huge

My microwave lost power and died over the weekend.  I went and bought a new one that day but the question here is should I bother trying to repair the older one?  It is a 4 year old LG and was great before it went kaput. 

What say you smart guys about appliances?  Is it worth fooling with or should I trash it?

Do you have and are competent with a multimeter?  Do you know how to solder?  Are there any clearly burnt out components you can see?

It could be as simple as a blown fuse that can be eyeballed and doesn’t require solder, up to a cratered ASIC that’s almost impossible to replace…or even find.  

I hate tossing out good shit in this ‘everything is disposable’ word we live in…but without model number (have you googled the mode number + failure mode to see if it’s a common issue) and details, doubt anyone can answer that.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If it shows no signs of life at all (no power) I might mess with it as it is likely just a switch / fuse type issue which are very doable, tend to be easy to diagnose and cheap to repair.  If it falls under a comes on but makes noise or not heat properly... nope not worth it IMO

With microwaves, it's almost always the door switch.

39 minutes ago, dcbc said:

With microwaves, it's almost always the door switch.

It was running, heating up some delicious Shin bone broth noodles and then went black.  No power.

I have a neighbor with a boss set of tools, we are going to futz with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

It was running, heating up some delicious Shin bone broth noodles and then went black.  No power.

I have a neighbor with a boss set of tools, we are going to futz with it.

Main fuse will be blown... but find out why if blew. Bad door switch or bad capacitor (don't fry yourself on the capacitor... make sure and discharge it first before testing)

• Hook 'Em 1