Top 25 greenest cities in the US

closetohumping

Meh.  There may be something to it, but when they cite the banning of plastic bags as a basis, are they considering the carbon footprint of the canvas bags?   Comparing port cities of Miami, Houston, to Syracuse, New York also seems a bit spurious.   Also the fuel station component shouldn't look just at the number of charging stations for autos, but the source and storage of the energy as well as the sourcing of materials.   Lithium being mined in China is a far cry from the Lithium plant being set-up in Arkansas that is based on the non-potable water and uses the heat within the water as part of the energy source.   

Austin's transportation rank is 54, but Nashville is 150?  Does waiting around in traffic not count? 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetohumping changed the title to Top 25 greenest cities in the US

Sustainable is a good metric. It shows a cities efforts to enact change. But for actual current cleanest air cities right now. See below 

https://www.lung.org/research/sota/key-findings/cleanest-cities

Listed alphabetically, the cleanest cities are: 

• Asheville-Marion-Brevard, NC 
  • Bangor, ME 
  • Greenville-Kinston-Washington, NC 
  • Lincoln-Beatrice, NE 
  • Rochester-Batavia-Seneca Falls, NY 
  • Urban Honolulu, HI 
  • Wilmington, NC 

Year-Round Particle Pollution

Rank State County
1 California Kern
1 California Tulare
3 California Plumas
4 California Klamath
5 California Kings
6 California Fresno
7 California San Bernardino
8 California Riverside
9 Montana Lincoln
10 Alaska Fairbanks North Star
11 California Sutter
12 Oregon Jackson
12 California Los Angeles
12 California Madera
12 Arizona Pinal
12 California Stanislaus
17 Washington Okanogan
18 Indiana Marion
19 California Merced
20 California San Joaquin
20 Washington Yakima
22 Michigan Wayne
23 California Butte
24 Oregon Josephine
25 Pennsylvania Allegheny

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Austin can’t even figure out how to not send the recycling to the landfill 80% of the time.

My wife loses her shit when I start putting "recycling" in our trash bin if our recycling bin is full.  I've told her a dozen times that the vast majority of "recycled" materials end up in the landfill, but no, I'm going to hell.

I mean, I'm probably going to hell anyway, but not for that.

Density and walkable cityscapes are a relatively good proxy for sustainability, in that per capita carbon emissions are lower, less water use from landscaping, etc. Seattle and Portland are not as dense as a NYC or SF but hydropower is so big in those states that it makes up some of the difference.

Austin really should not even be that high. Sprawling Texas cities are, uh, not exactly embodiments of sustainability.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Density and walkable cityscapes are a relatively good proxy for sustainability, in that per capita carbon emissions are lower, less water use from landscaping, etc. Seattle and Portland are not as dense as a NYC or SF but hydropower is so big in those states that it makes up some of the difference.

Austin really should not even be that high. Sprawling Texas cities are, uh, not exactly embodiments of sustainability.

Yea I’m questioning the methodology but sprawl and vehicle use is only part of the criteria 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife loses her shit when I start putting "recycling" in our trash bin if our recycling bin is full.  I've told her a dozen times that the vast majority of "recycled" materials end up in the landfill, but no, I'm going to hell.

I mean, I'm probably going to hell anyway, but not for that.

Problem solved 

image.jpeg.0217ade623d5c53cc83a57b5afa35264.jpeg