2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Courting billionaire support is already strikes 1, 2, and 3 for me.

I decided to look at her Wikipedia page and...

-------------------------------------

While Harris was the San Francisco District Attorney, the overall felony conviction rate rose from 52% in 2003 to 67% in 2006, the highest in a decade; there was an 85% conviction rate for homicides, and convictions of drug dealers increased from 56% in 2003 to 74% in 2006. ...

Officers within the SFPD credited Harris with tightening loopholes in bail and drug programs that defendants had exploited in the past. ...

In 2012, Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo ruled that San Francisco District Attorney Harris's office violated defendants' rights by hiding damaging information about a police crime lab technician, and was indifferent to demands that it account for its failings.

-------------------------------------

I'll vote for her over Donald in the general, but no thanks in the primary.

If I were a district attorney, I'd aspire to a 100% conviction rate.  We'd work to get that (in part) by identifying bad cases and dismissing them at an early stage.  So I don't see increasing a conviction rate as necessarily a bad (or even) neutral thing, because it can be done by reducing the denominator.

But if I were a district attorney, any assistant DA who did not produce exculpatory evidence would find him/herself looking for a job and answering a bar grievance.  To the extent Harris knew of such failings among her subordinates and failed to take such action, that's a big negative.

I will admit to being Kamala curious.  But if she had a part in prosecutorial misconduct, then I'm out.

3 hours ago, Zombie said:

As a former criminal defense attorney, this sort of bullshit enrages me like few other things. 

Seems to me that most of the Harris crowd only like her because she gives them the feels. She's a she! She's black! And also Indian! And she's tough and mean to Republicans! But you scratch that surface, and then....there's stuff like this scandal and her defense of the death penalty, while claiming to be personally opposed to it. That is one honkin' bigass waffle right there. 

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Why doesn't she enter the race now? or yesterday? It's been leaked, she's made the decision and wants to do it. Is there some significance to announcing on MLK day? It seems like that would be a busy news day and you won't get the press and coverage you'd get on a slow newsday Thursday. Is it because she's black and wants to make some weird point of announcing on the most famous American black persons holiday? She's dooming herself from the start, I think.

Yeah , nothing wrong with that at all. It's an important day in her life obviously.

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

imo, it's plausible that MLK was assassinated by the FBI (they certainly wanted him dead).  Funny that a cop like Harris would choose MLK day to announce.

The KGB also hated MLK.  Both the FBI and KGB did all kinds of old school active measures shit to get people to hate MLK.  

csb:  I happened to be driving by Leavenworth with my brother a while back. 

Me: "Oh neat, Leavenworth!  Imma pull up wikipedia and see who all famous people were here.  Wow!  It says James Earl Ray spent time here."

My brother:  [pause] "Yeah, I guess I heard he spent some time in jail."

Me: ...

Me:  "Not James Earl Jones."

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not sure how the FBI of the 1960s is relevant either.  

As I said above, I think it's humorous that a former law enforcement officer is choosing MLK day to announce her big for President given how MLK was treated by the most powerful law enforcement agency in this country.  

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The KGB also hated MLK.  Both the FBI and KGB did all kinds of old school active measures shit to get people to hate MLK.  

I guess this is fairly common knowledge now, but I only just heard a piece on NPR about the Soviet Union running a successful disinformation campaign that preyed on black americans distrust of the government and convinced many of them the moon landing was faked.

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

How is the KGB relevant to what we were discussing?  Why do you have to bring it up randomly?

It's Hugo. Russia is the reason he runs out of toilet paper or his milk expires.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

DOA....

Also from the article...

The woman did not report the incident at the time because the campaign was over.

and

Briefed on the allegation, Friends of Bernie Sanders, the senator’s principal campaign committee, said in a statement that “Robert Becker would not be a part of any future campaigns.” The campaign added: “To be clear: no one who committed sexual harassment in 2016 would be back if there were a 2020 campaign," and described Becker’s conduct as “deplorable and fundamentally unacceptable.”

I, for one, think it is terrible that Bernie is not omniscient and it is disqualifying. He should absolutely know about things that he didn't do, didn't happen around him, and no one told him about. Unforgivable, really.

Jailtime, maybe?

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's Hugo. Russia is the reason he runs out of toilet paper or his milk expires.

Also from the article...

The woman did not report the incident at the time because the campaign was over.

and

Briefed on the allegation, Friends of Bernie Sanders, the senator’s principal campaign committee, said in a statement that “Robert Becker would not be a part of any future campaigns.” The campaign added: “To be clear: no one who committed sexual harassment in 2016 would be back if there were a 2020 campaign," and described Becker’s conduct as “deplorable and fundamentally unacceptable.”

I, for one, think it is terrible that Bernie is not omniscient and it is disqualifying. He should absolutely know about things that he didn't do, didn't happen around him, and no one told him about. Unforgivable, really.

Jailtime, maybe?

LOL.... It'll be okay sunshine.

straw2.jpg?resize=431,603

There's your argument.... but ironically, they both have about the same chance at getting the overall nomination.  Stiff upper lip.

Moving on....

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Right but what separates her from a Harris or Biden?

Gillibrand, IIRC, was the only senator to vote against every single Trump cabinet nominee. Biden's a neo-lib, Gillibrand is a progressive. She's not a former cop like Harris.

I like her a lot but when I've seen her in front of the media, I haven't been impressed. I wanted to be.

Klobuchar is great. I'd be thrilled with her as the nominee, though I feel like she might end up on the ticket as veep. Brown/Klobuchar would be real, real nice. 

15 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

She's not a former cop like Harris.

Succint.  Important. Also she has been a politician-lawyer for all but three years of her career. 

Don't believe the hype.--Charles Davis Ridenhour.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 hours ago, 406W30th said:

She's not a former cop like Harris.

#HarrisIsACop is Bernie bro shit Bc they perceive their boy’s chances slowly creeping down. Just like 2016 they’ll re-elect Trump to prove a point 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

#HarrisIsACop is Bernie bro shit Bc they perceive their boy’s chances slowly creeping down. Just like 2016 they’ll re-elect Trump to prove a point 

There’s a Bernie cult out there.  I like Bernie but when it comes to prioritizing the country or his political future, he usually goes with himself.  Of course he could be doing that because he believes he is in the best interest of the country, and maybe he’s right.

Maybe he’s just too much of an idealist and not pragmatic enough to be a great leader. 

Lots of “experts” are saying Bernie is finished.  I’m no expert but he’s polling nowhere near where he was in 2015.   Seems like the Democratic base hates him too for 2016.  I think many Americans want nothing to do with the past in the 2020 election, on both sides.

If it doesn’t work out for Bernie, I hope he herds his followers to the better candidate.  But I imagine he will just fade quietly off into the background and take his cult with him. 

Harris is pretty awful.  This Reason article documents some of her awfulness from her prosecutor days.  For example:

As attorney general of California, Harris challenged the release of a man who had been exonerated by the Innocence Project and had his conviction overturned. Harris argued that Daniel Larsen, who spent 13 years in prison for the crime of possessing a concealed knife, had not produced evidence of his innocence fast enough. A federal judge overturned his conviction after finding that Larsen had shown he was innocent, that the cops testifying at his trial weren't credible, and that his attorney, since disbarred, was constitutionally ineffective because he had failed to call any witnesses.

When the Supreme Court decided that California's overcrowded prisons represented cruel and unusual punishment, Attorney General Harris fought a ruling ordering California to release some of its prisoners. Harris claims she had to fight the ruling for Gov. Jerry Brown. "I have a client, and I don't get to choose my client," she said. But the attorney general in California is an independent, elected position, not an appointee serving at the governor's pleasure.

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/09/kamala-harris-new-book-tries-to-massage

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Here we go again...

- 12% of Bernie primary voters went to Trump (this is perfectly in line with historical norms) (25% of Clinton's 2008 primary voters went to McCain in the general)
- Among those, the majority of those did not like Obama and were not Democrats to begin with (meaning Bernie actually brought people in)
- Combine those two, and the reality is that the liberal Bernie primary voters were uniquely loyal in the general election

The people he brought in that didn't back Clinton are an interesting thing to dig into, because you (and others) are assuming that those same people were just going to naturally vote for Clinton until Bernie worked his, I don't know, evil Jew magic on them or something.

*Ron Howard voiceover* - "They weren't."

And then there is race. Nearly half of Sanders-Trump voters disagree with the idea that "white people have advantages."

It is absolutely the case that Bernie's base had racists in it. It's not because Bernie was racist (he's not) or had a racist message (he didn't), it's because he's an economic populist and a lot of midwest racists are also economic populists who were more attracted, in the primary season, to Bernie's message of economic fairness than Trump's message of hating minorities.

Once it came time for the general, their choice was between an economic elite (Clinton) and a racist (Trump), so they went with the thing they liked, which is racism.

I don't think anyone can get through Harris's chosen career path clean. That's not to absolve her or praise her, just to acknowledge that she was in a moral and ideological morass and seems to have done some good things with it. I really like that she kept a cop-killer away from the death penalty in the face of overwhelming pressure.

It's the banks/Wall Street stuff that disqualifies her for me in terms of the primary (I will vote for her in the general). Actively seeking Wall Street/corporate money for her run is unacceptable. It's signalling an intention to continue to sell out the working class of America to the financial elite, and I see that as the most important overall issue in the Democratic primary because it is the fundamental basis of basically everything else on the platform.

There's only one real question of merit in the 2020 Democratic primary: "Will you actively work to end the economic stranglehold of the 0.1%?"

If the answer is anything other than an enthusiastic "Yes" then I will not vote for you in the primary. And if your answer is "yes" and you're also seeking support from that 0.1% you're a liar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I hope Bernie decides not to run in 2020. I also don't want Harris as the nominee, though I'd still prefer her to Biden.

Just now, 406W30th said:

I hope Bernie decides not to run in 2020. I also don't want Harris as the nominee, though I'd still prefer her to Biden.

If she's the nominee, I hope you vote for her and not gary johnson or sit it out. 

is she the best?  probably not.  is she better than who is in the office right now?  ya damn straight. 

Andrew Yang for the nominee anyone? 

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/424844-presidential-candidate-wants-to-give-everyone-1000-a-month-in

Democratic presidential hopeful Andrew Yang is vowing to pay every American citizen between the ages of 18 and 64 a $1,000 check once a month if he is elected in 2020.

Yang, who is running his presidential campaign largely around the idea of universal basic income, already launched a pilot program for free cash payments known as the Freedom Dividend, CNBC reported on Wednesday. 

For the program, Yang selected a family in Goffstown, New Hampshire, who he says will be receiving $12,000 in free cash for the year. 

Yang said Charles Fassi, his wife and child received their first $1,000 check from him at a party on New Year's Eve in New York City.

Yang said that technically "the pilot is just for one person, Jodie," but “we ended up meeting the whole family, since Janelle filled out the nomination form, and their family story is so relatable. They are a perfect example of how $1,000 freedom dividend would help families across the country, and the entire family has gotten behind the concept and has agreed to share their experiences.”

I'm curious to see what Harris's constituencies are and what her grassroots base/appeal will be. Obama was an inspiring orator who could craft a vision of a fair and equal America so beautifully that it captivated racially-and-economically-anxious whites in addition to inspiring libs by the tens of thousands across the nation to volunteer, sing, dance, and proselytize the gospel of Hope & Change.

Warren is hitting it hard right now, and I'll be interested to see who can build that grassroots movement and support.

-------------------
"They work for the rich and the powerful and not the rest of us. It's throughout the system," Warren said, igniting cheers from more than 500 in a downtown event hall Saturday evening. "This is corruption, pure and simple. It is corruption and it is eating away at our democracy and every fiber of our lives."
-------------------

What on earth are Wall Street candidates going to have to say to compete with this in the grassroots?