Name the next Supreme Court Justice to be nominated by Trump 2018

zork

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I am serious, and I think Ted Cruz is the best political move.  He would surely be confirmed without any trouble.  Sitting senators don't have trouble getting confirmed to stuff--even if they are loathed by their colleagues.  

But more importantly, it saves a Senate seat that is currently in some jeopardy.  Whatever you think of Beto's chances, you have to acknowledge that he has a chance.  And that means that the Republicans have to spend money and time on that race, which they'd prefer to be spending in Indiana or Missouri.  

So if Cruz goes to the Supreme Court, Abbott could appoint himself and then run as the incumbent.  And as much as we may like Beto, you also have to acknowledge that Abbott would kick the shit out of him.

hmmm

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

He would surely be confirmed without any trouble.  Sitting senators don't have trouble getting confirmed to stuff--even if they are loathed by their colleagues.  

I think Cruz might prove to be the exception to the rule.  And, really, who knows what Cruz's values are once he has no further need to sell them. 

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think Cruz might prove to be the exception to the rule.  And, really, who knows what Cruz's values are once he has no further need to sell them. 

Not sure Trump wants to risk the Senate seat after what happened with Jeff Sessions 

Hey, errbody! Johnny Sack is a super rich lawyer who totally made his money all by himself. He really, really, really wants you to know that because he says it a lot. In no way is he insecure about his millionaire grandfather. He wants you to know that it's all him and he pays a shit ton in taxes because he's super successful.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hey, errbody! Johnny Sack is a super rich lawyer who totally made his money all by himself. He really, really, really wants you to know that because he says it a lot. In no way is he insecure about his millionaire grandfather. He wants you to know that it's all him and he pays a shit ton in taxes because he's super successful.

What have you done in life?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

To be honest, we don't know what any potential nominee's values are when push comes to shove.  Even though "litmus tests" were regarded as bad form in public until fairly recently, I think we all know damn well they have been part and parcel of the nomination process since forever (litmus tests administered in private by the President and Judiciary Committee Chairmen).  And still we get "party-traitors" on the Court.

Responding to a litmus test question in a way you know will secure your appointment and irritate the opposition is one thing.  Acting accordingly when confronted with a real case may be another, especially when you no longer have anyone to please.

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And as much as we may like Beto, you also have to acknowledge that Abbott would kick the shit out of him.

Abbott ain't gonna kick the shit outa nothing.

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I am serious, and I think Ted Cruz is the best political move.  He would surely be confirmed without any trouble.  Sitting senators don't have trouble getting confirmed to stuff--even if they are loathed by their colleagues.  

But more importantly, it saves a Senate seat that is currently in some jeopardy.  Whatever you think of Beto's chances, you have to acknowledge that he has a chance.  And that means that the Republicans have to spend money and time on that race, which they'd prefer to be spending in Indiana or Missouri.  

So if Cruz goes to the Supreme Court, Abbott could appoint himself and then run as the incumbent.  And as much as we may like Beto, you also have to acknowledge that Abbott would kick the shit out of him.

I agree with pretty much everything here except I believe Trump will nominate a women and I don't like Beto. I mean, what kind of freaking name is Beto.

List reportedly down to three:

Trump's current top contenders are federal appeals court judges Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh and Raymond Kethledge, said a person familiar with Trump's thinking who was not authorized to speak publicly.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-pence-met-supreme-court-contenders-043447870--politics.html

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Scott Pruitt

Do the Supreme Court Justices get better expense accounts than EPA directors?(or whatever you call the cabinet level EPA lead)

Aside from any political issues, it bothers me that Barrett has been an appellate judge for what, six months.

On the one hand, I wish more SCt justices had trial court or other real-world, non-DOJ experience, on the other, I think some appellate experience is needed.

14 hours ago, Publiushorn said:

Probably Brett Kavanaugh; rooting hard for Amy Coney Barrett.

Kavanaugh was my pick from the beginning. I think Kennedy certainly gave his "blessing" to Trump for his former clerk upon his retirement. 

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

This one was really obvious from the get go. 

So what will be the vote on Brett Kavanaugh? Will he be approved? If so, when?  Your predictions, please.

scotus-trump-kavanaugh-gty-hb-180709_hpM

Edited by zork

9 minutes ago, zork said:

So what will be the vote on Brett Kavanaugh? Will he be approved? If so, when?  Your predictions, please.

It was very obvious. I called it June 30, as soon as I heard that he doesn't believe that a president should be investigated while in office. He's changed his views after he hypocritically chased Clinton for insignificant charges. Now he's written off investigations for even the most serious of charges.

Combined with the fact Kavanaugh clerked for Kennedy, it was obvious that Kavanaugh was the pick when Kennedy agreed to step down. 

On 6/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, Pods said:

It's going to be Kavanaugh. He's the biggest proponent of executive power. He'll vote that Trump can't be investigated. 

He'll be approved. Trump gets what he wants from the GOP, they wouldn't stand up to him if it was Judge Jeanine. 

I don't know when the vote will be, but McConnell should wait on a vote and use it to drive turnout. If the GOP loses, they'll almost certainly still have the Senate. If they lose that too, he can ram Kavanaugh through before the new Senate is seated. He has never given a shit about optics and Dems wouldn't be able to stop it. 

I don't know if that's what he will do, but it's what his history suggests he'll do. 

Edited by Pods