Name the next Supreme Court Justice to be nominated by Trump 2018

zork

Name the next Supreme Court Justice to be nominated by Trump and if you believe he/she/ze will be confirmed or not and why?  Who will be in Trump's top 3 if he does that like last time? Who would you pick, if you want to share.  Compare and contrast any of these picks with current or former Supreme Court Member Judges.(are they Supreme Court Judges or Justices when referring to them individually?)

The nominee probably comes from the list of 25, but it could be Judge Jeanine. Who the fuck knows with Trump? It's going to be a firm proponent of executive power. That's the only real certainty. 

While I don't know who he will nominate, I know the GOP will approve them. Trump could nominate a re-animated Robert Bork and the GOP would clap and cheer. No one in the GOP has any balls to stand against Trump, especially over a huge decision like this. They'll try to advise Trump, but ultimately, he'll do whatever he feels like and they'll applaud it as a genius decision.

No way he will nominate Pirro, a couple of the grown up republicans would not confirm a political hack. Trump wouldn't risk that embarrassment. It will be somebody that can be easily confirmed before November. Whoever it is will have to check all the boxes. 

6 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

No way he will nominate Pirro, a couple of the grown up republicans would not confirm a political hack. Trump wouldn't risk that embarrassment. It will be somebody that can be easily confirmed before November. Whoever it is will have to check all the boxes. 

The GOP will confirm anyone Trump names.  Given how sycophantic he's been on tv, I'm going with Alan Dershowitz.  Or Pirro.

Seems like Alan Dershowitz is a bit old for the nomination.  He would be a lively choice, but too non-legacy leaving due to limited years of potential service, but it would have been interesting to have him on the bench 20 years ago.  I certainly haven't always agreed with him but recognize the intellect. (not that my opinion matters on deeply legal things, as a layman)

12 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The GOP will confirm anyone Trump names.  Given how sycophantic he's been on tv, I'm going with Alan Dershowitz.  Or Pirro.

I'd love it if it were Dershowitz.....or any other 80 year old. That would be hilarious. Don't count on it. 

14 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Agree to disagree. It only takes 1 Republican to break from the party. There are still a couple Republican Senators who are grown ups. 

9 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I'd love it if it were Dershowitz.....or any other 80 year old. That would be hilarious. Don't count on it. 

Trump doesn't give a fuck.  Hell, he'd love to keep nominating people after Dersh or whoever retires/dies.  The sole Trump requirement for any position in government is loyalty to Trump.  There are no other actual merits to be considered.  The only reason he might not nominate Dersh or Pirro is if he for the first time actually listens to his advisors who tell him he couldn't get them through the Senate. But I wouldn't bet against Dersh.

edit to add: esp. because Trump may know that whoever's on the court will be deciding whether he has the power to fire Mueller, can ignore subpoenas, etc.

Edited by lemonlime

17 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Agree to disagree. It only takes 1 Republican to break from the party. There are still a couple Republican Senators who are grown ups. 

Narrator: There weren't. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

That's assuming none of the six red state democrats up for re-election vote yes.

Edited by Johnny Sack

BREAKING NEWS: Trump says he's cut his Supreme Court short-list down to five candidates including TWO women and he'll announce a nominee July 9 – but he doesn't plan to ask any of them about Roe v. Wade

One front-runner is federal appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh. He recently wrote a dissent when his colleagues allowed an illegal immigrant teen in U.S. custody to have an abortion.

The 53-year-old Kavanaugh clerked for Justice Kennedy and was an associate independent counsel during the Whitewater investigation into Bill and Hillary Clinton's controversial Arkansas land deal. 

Another much-discussed candidate is 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Diane Sykes, a George W. Bush appointee.

The 60-year-old sat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court from 1990 until 2004. 

The dark horses include Sen. Lee and his brother – a Utah Supreme Court judge – and a newly appointed 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge named Don Willett. 

The 51-year-old jurist is best known for his Twitter feed, where he has described himself as an 'extravagantly blessed husband & co-founder of 3 wee Willetts as well as a 'former drummer and rodeo bull rider.'

Willett's tweets have covered the Dallas Cowboys, Austin barbecue and his three young children, led the Texas House of Representatives to name him the state's 'Tweeter Laureate.'

The president, who once told an interviewer that he was proudly pro-choice, landed in election-year hot water for saying women should face 'some form of punishment' for breaking a future federal law banning abortion.

Both sides of the abortion debate had strong reactions this week when Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his plan to retire at the end of July. 

Spoiler

4DC4C62200000578-5902455-image-a-35_1530

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5902455/Trump-says-probably-wont-ask-Supreme-Court-candidates-overturning-Roe.html

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Adam Reposa.

OK, and, who would he* most be correlated to in SCOTUS history? 

*I automatically, tragically, assumed Adam was a 'he'.  Apologies if that was the wrong pronoun.

Edited by zork

On 6/28/2018 at 4:45 PM, lemonlime said:

I would actually be ok with Alan. That lying sack of shit turns 80 in two months, so he won’t last long and he won’t lift a finger to overturn Roe or do any bidding of the religious right.

Edited by hpslugga

9 hours ago, Pods said:

It's going to be Kavanaugh. He's the biggest proponent of executive power. He'll vote that Trump can't be investigated. 

Yup Kananaugh, the philosophical purist who once helped lead the Clinton impeachment over a BJ, and who now opposes any presidential investigations will be the pick.  In other news, the hens have elected the fox as their new head of security.  

15 hours ago, hpslugga said:

I would actually be ok with Alan. That lying sack of shit turns 80 in two months, so he won’t last long and he won’t lift a finger to overturn Roe or do any bidding of the religious right.

I gotta disagree.  My biggest concern with the Supreme Court pick is I think the only thing Trump cares about is picking someone who is loyal to Trump.  Trump doesn't give a fuck about anything, including judicial philosophy, competence, issues including Roe.  He only cares about a justice who will stop investigations, say he can't be subpoenaed, can't be called into court, and can pardon himself.   That's all Dersh.  It's also why if he can get away with it, I think he'd appoint Pirro, Tiffany, his sister, etc.  And this is a bigger problem than say, overturning Roe v. Wade.  Basic policy stuff will take years to get to the Court and can ultimately be undone.  If the court okays Trump's corruption, it could lead to a constitutional crisis that could destroy the nation.

I think Pods is right, though, and it will be Kavanaugh.  First, because Kavanaugh is the most likely to let Trump get away with shit who can also be confirmed.  Second, because I think Trump wants a white man for the optics.

Edited by lemonlime

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

If it's Barrett, he probably won't have the Senate for RBG.

If it's a GOP Senate, they'll approve whoever the fuck Trump tells them to. No exceptions. 

3 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I gotta disagree.  My biggest concern with the Supreme Court pick is I think the only thing Trump cares about is picking someone who is loyal to Trump.  Trump doesn't give a fuck about anything, including judicial philosophy, competence, issues including Roe.  He only cares about a justice who will stop investigations, say he can't be subpoenaed, can't be called into court, and can pardon himself.   That's all Dersh.  It's also why if he can get away with it, I think he'd appoint Pirro, Tiffany, his sister, etc.  And this is a bigger problem than say, overturning Roe v. Wade.  Basic policy stuff will take years to get to the Court and can ultimately be undone.  If the court okays Trump's corruption, it could lead to a constitutional crisis that could destroy the nation.

I think Pods is right, though, and it will be Kavanaugh.  First, because Kavanaugh is the most likely to let Trump get away with shit who can also be confirmed.  Second, because I think Trump wants a white man for the optics.

Never forget to take your meds LOL

Edited by Vince_McCoy_Williams
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 4:58 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ted Cruz

I second that nomination, but your not serious. I even gave you a love vote.

Not going to happen this time, but definitely for the next one who retires or dies.

yeah, i had to edit a slightly important word.

I just hate a ruling that is never going to change being the bellweather for a candidate.

Yes, the topic means a lot to me...and most Americans for that matter.  i just don't see it ever changing.  a candidate's opinion on it is pretty irrelevant, unless they have some maniacal stance on it..

17 hours ago, ckhorn said:

I second that nomination, but your not serious. I even gave you a love vote.

Not going to happen this time, but definitely for the next one who retires or dies.

I am serious, and I think Ted Cruz is the best political move.  He would surely be confirmed without any trouble.  Sitting senators don't have trouble getting confirmed to stuff--even if they are loathed by their colleagues.  

But more importantly, it saves a Senate seat that is currently in some jeopardy.  Whatever you think of Beto's chances, you have to acknowledge that he has a chance.  And that means that the Republicans have to spend money and time on that race, which they'd prefer to be spending in Indiana or Missouri.  

So if Cruz goes to the Supreme Court, Abbott could appoint himself and then run as the incumbent.  And as much as we may like Beto, you also have to acknowledge that Abbott would kick the shit out of him.