Job search -- balancing multiple offers/timelines

Back in the hunt after corporate restructuring got me after 35 years and 18 mos shy of early retirement. Turns out my skills are in higher demand than anticipated, and after several weeks of nothing I'm suddenly fielding interview requests on an almost daily basis. Here's where I'm at. 

• Company A - first choice. Established, 50 year old company. Market leader, great line of products & services. Everyone on this board has heard of them. I'd be part of the team scaling up a recent acquisition. Great growth potential, good salary/benefits, 100% remote with some travel. Offer confidence > 70%
  • Company B/C - Twenty year old company. Household name and again, everyone on this board has heard or owns their product. Wouldn't be a direct employee for company B, instead I'd be an employee (not a contractor) for Company C that has been providing this specific service to Company B for 8+ years (renewed annually). Less growth potential and base salary, on-site daily position (15 minute commute). Offer confidence > 90%
  • Company D - Family owned, 70 year old company. HQ in midwest, has been into heavy expansion mode into adjacent markets & territories since mid - 2000s. New to Austin area. Salary and growth potential close to Company A, but greater risked associated with company trying to penetrate new market. Remote/hybrid job (20 minute commute to office), 25% travel minimum (car allowance is a perk). Offer confidence 70 - 90%

I'm on to the 3rd round w/ A and B/C, and have gone from stage 1-2 with D this week with stage 3 interview requested this morning for this afternoon w/ GM, SM and VP. The challenge is that, although I absolutely crushed the interviews with Company A they are in the early stages and don't anticipate sending offers out for 2-4 weeks. Company B/C indicated that they will be in touch by this Friday, and I expect Company D to have a similar timeline.

What's the move? I'm technically still employed by my current employer through June 30th so I have that buffer where I can ask to review offers, negotiate, and decide between B/C and D. But with A being the best fit/opportunity, what are my options? I can't expect the other two to wait up 2-3 weeks for me to decide. Do I accept the better offer of the two knowing that I would jump to A if they offer? Accepting a job for 2-3 weeks before bolting would certainly burn those bridges.

If Company A is truly your first choice but you would be content enough the others, I don't think that it would be inappropriate for you to wait until you have an offer from B/C/D (or when you know that an offer is forthcoming), and then reach out to you contact at A and just level with them - they're your first choice, but you have to make a decision about accepting other alternatives soon. 

If they can somehow make it work, great, but if not, I'd take the bird in the hand. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’d call and let my first choice know that I have an offer a need a decision from them. 

This. Wait until you have a bird, any bird (that you'd actually take) in hand, and then contact your first choice and be open with them.

• Hook 'Em 1

if youve got 35 years and 2 years away from retirement, does any of this really matter?  get whichever your lifestyle prefers (remote work w/ low trav requirements for me), top off the bag for a few years, retire. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

if youve got 35 years and 2 years away from retirement, does any of this really matter?  get whichever your lifestyle prefers (remote work w/ low trav requirements for me), top off the bag for a few years, retire. 

Yep. That’s what my mom did. She’s about 2 years away and just picked the biggest bag and best benefits with limited to no travel and hybrid schedule to get her through when she can retire.  She’s ended up doing some travel but it’s been Brazil, Mexico and Germany instead of places like Tulsa and Midland and North Dakota she was doing before. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

To be clear, I was 2 years from early retirement. That would have been less than ideal & I would likely have taken a hobby job to bridge the gap. The plan was to continue working another 6-7 years at my former company while my pension and 401k continued to grow. I'm 100% vested in the pension and will take the lump sum and reinvest it. Being cut loose this close to the finish line will have a significant impact so we are adjusting accordingly.

I'm leaning towards accepting the first offer and then should company A come through quit and jump to them. I'm just hoping I don't get in a situation where company A takes longer than expected and I have to find a way to sneak off for an interview. This is unchartered territory for a lifer like me who was damn near institutionalized at my old company.

family house GIF

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

This, Surly, is how you humblebrag. 

Really? Admitting you're a dinosaur, got thrown out with the trash years ahead of your planned exit, and are now scrambling to find a job amidst a talent pool of younger/smarter/cheaper candidates?

Not a Surly 1%. I drive a fucking Outback. I know many on this board have had diverse careers across multiple disciplines. Just trying to learn from those who have more experience.

• Haha 1

This.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:20 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

If Company A is truly your first choice but you would be content enough the others, I don't think that it would be inappropriate for you to wait until you have an offer from B/C/D (or when you know that an offer is forthcoming), and then reach out to you contact at A and just level with them - they're your first choice, but you have to make a decision about accepting other alternatives soon. 

If they can somehow make it work, great, but if not, I'd take the bird in the hand. 

Followed by this if A can’t speed up their timeframe but end up offering.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:27 PM, immamac said:

you can accept another offer and if A happens you can just quit and go work for A - you don't owe anyone shit. 

Counteroffer something from the first offer (Company B/C): More money, more vacation, eliminate the 401k matching vesting period, whatever.  that buys you a week while you're wrapping up your current job. I would press Company A's recruiter in that you are fielding offers and you really like Company A. Don't give Company A an ultimatum. Be vague about dates but that you really want to work for them.

Then take the best of any offer you have on the table. Don't tell Company A if you accepted another offer. I would feel shitty quitting a job after a week or two, but that wouldn't stop me.

And don't worry if you sit home a week or two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Agree on all of that but the 401k match vesting period is a no-go.   They can not, by law, do that.  

If you say that true, then ok. But there can be other vesting periods to consider as well. The point being is that you should always consider everything is up for negotiation.

Yes, I agree about negotiating but provisions in a qualified retirement plan (like a 401k) typically can't be applied to an individual.  It would require amending the plan and can open the employer up to a variety of regulatory requirements. 

Negotiate for more time off, etc. 

Yep. That’s what my mom did. She’s about 2 years away and just picked the biggest bag and best benefits with limited to no travel and hybrid schedule to get her through when she can retire.  She’s ended up doing some travel but it’s been Brazil, Mexico and Germany instead of places like Tulsa and Midland and North Dakota she was doing before. 

I thought lot lizards were an American thing. I’m always learning stuff on this board.
  • Haha 3