Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'll eat my flip flop if TCU loses to WVU.

I’d settle for the court squatter getting T’ed up for his repeatedly stupid antics outside the coach’s box. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

In Hilton Coliseum? My heavens, no way!

I respect the hell out of building for how tough it is to play there, and the fans are what drive it. They bitch and moan about the refs as much or more than the posters on this board and that's a monumental achievement.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I respect the hell out of building for how tough it is to play there, and the fans are what drive it. They bitch and moan about the refs as much or more than the posters on this board and that's a monumental achievement.

No

I can suddenly empathize with the UT fans in the football forum. The rest of the world thinks we get all the calls, I thought the whole first half BYU could tackle us in the paint and we wouldn’t get a trip to the stripe out of it.

To avoid the absurd hypocrisy displayed over there I’ll acknowledge that if literally everyone else thinks we got the calls, then we probably got the calls.

Just glad to be at a point as a program and fanbase that we get a little Phog treatment.

Good seats last night
97a80603fdf3131aade07b2092562f87.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I can suddenly empathize with the UT fans in the football forum. The rest of the world thinks we get all the calls, I thought the whole first half BYU could tackle us in the paint and we wouldn’t get a trip to the stripe out of it.

To avoid the absurd hypocrisy displayed over there I’ll acknowledge that if literally everyone else thinks we got the calls, then we probably got the calls.

Just glad to be at a point as a program and fanbase that we get a little Phog treatment.

Good seats last night

Cool pic. 

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Good seats last night

The bitching about the refs gets so tired. Mostly it comes from fans from schools that don't have good basketball atmospheres. The Hilton boo birds are real and kinda annoying but the idea they're intimidating refs into making bad calls or non calls is laughable. Refs miss shit all the time and college basketball is a very hard sport to ref at the end of the day. It happens to everyone and it's so subjective most of the time that it's silly to argue about.

The people around here that cry the most about some mythical ref conspiracy against their team are at least entertaining I guess but it does get old.

The funniest part is when they think it's going to get better in the SEC.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Mostly it comes from fans from schools that don't have good basketball atmospheres.

This is a poor take. It's like you've never watched a game at Allen Fieldhouse, or Cameron.

Fans everywhere are about the same and bitch about refs about the same. I'll give you credit for the conspiracy nonsense angle, but otherwise, that post was bad and you should feel bad.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This is a poor take. It's like you've never watched a game at Allen Fieldhouse, or Cameron.

Fans everywhere are about the same and bitch about refs about the same. I'll give you credit for the conspiracy nonsense angle, but otherwise, that post was bad and you should feel bad.

image.gif.b368d7575adbc5cefbadd1f70f4b5fe7.gif

There was a part in there I forgot to add even though I had it in my brain, that those kinds of atmospheres maybe cause the refs to choke a little and make more mistakes than they maybe usually would.

I'm not trying to pick on Texas fans too hard here because Tech fans post some pretty cringe stuff about refs too on other boards sometimes but it's nowhere near as frequent.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Fans at Allen Fieldhouse boo virtually any call against the Jayhawks. They are loud and they are vocal but they are also incredibly whiny and they absolutely influence officiating. But it's what makes AFH a great, intimidating atmosphere. A win there always feels like a massive achievement, regardless of how good KU may or may not be that year.

Again, this is the chief stupidity I'm addressing:

Mostly it comes from fans from schools that don't have good basketball atmospheres.

As for this:

I'm not trying to pick on Texas fans too hard here because Tech fans post some pretty cringe stuff about refs too on other boards sometimes but it's nowhere near as frequent.

You probably have this impression because, I'll wager, you spend more time on this site than you do on your "own" team's sites.

• Like 1

Kansas fans love to tell you how much ISU fans boo and how they’re above such nonsense and it’s the most ridiculous shit I’ve ever seen.

Not because they’re wrong about ISU fans, but because they’re exactly the same.

Its like all the tough guys over in the football board that make fun of Matt Campbell for arguing with the refs while they then post in 100+ page thread about a decades long Big 12 anti-Texas officiating conspiracy 

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

The funniest part is when they think it's going to get better in the SEC.

It’s funny because the same refs who ref our games in the Big 12 will be reffing us in the SEC.

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s funny because the same refs who ref our games in the Big 12 will be reffing us in the SEC.

Yeah I try to tell my IRL friends when we watch games that there are no conference refs all the time and it's just in one ear and out the other.

Is the season over yet? Hurry the fuck up already!

And yeah, back when I gave a shit, ISU fans are the absolute worst when it comes to booing literally every call that goes against them, really obnoxious even on TV.

Just now, 'stache said:

Is the season over yet? Hurry the fuck up already!

And yeah, back when I gave a shit, ISU fans are the absolute worst when it comes to booing literally every call that goes against them, really obnoxious even on TV.

Y'all have to let go of Boynton at this point. GIA used to be poppin, there's no reason it can't be again. I figured OSU fans still care about basketball enough to make a stink about this to the admin, no?

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I will gladly trade the admiration of opposing fans for an undefeated home slate any day.

Generally if opposing fans hate playing in your building, it means you're doing something right. If your arena is full of a bunch of bluehairs that wanna sit down and clap the whole game, you might get fans that say "oh such and such team's fans are so nice!" but that's not really where you want to be. There's always the risk of fans taking it too far like what we saw in Lubbock once this year, but I'll take the risk of a classless fan or two crossing the line if it means your arena is a tough place to play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Generally if opposing fans hate playing in your building, it means you're doing something right. If your arena is full of a bunch of bluehairs that wanna sit down and clap the whole game, you might get fans that say "oh such and such team's fans are so nice!" but that's not really where you want to be. There's always the risk of fans taking it too far like what we saw in Lubbock once this year, but I'll take the risk of a classless fan or two crossing the line if it means your arena is a tough place to play.

One of my favorite recent road games was the trip to Lubbuttock in Beard's first (*ahem, only*) season. Yes, my 'Horns got curb stomped, but that arena was PACKED and the crowd was LOUD. And, aside from some bruised egos, nobody was harmed and everybody seemed to behave themselves. It was college hoops at its best, imo.

Boynton does seem to win the "nice, respected guy" award every season but he hasn't produced and he's been given plenty of time to do so. I know the league is brutal but what OSU and GIA have become is nothing short of sad.

• Like 1

A rabid Iowa homer on Des Moines sports radio was going on about how ISU got routinely jobbed by the officials for "36 out of 40 minutes" (his words).  He's diplomatic to ISU at best, and if you ever listen to his Locked On Iowa pods, he lets it be known that he loathes ISU.

It's funny how fans can look at the same thing and come to two wildly different conclusions.  Especially in basketball.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Football farmegeddon playback.

We have everything to play for and all they have is spoiling our title bid.  If I wasn’t having to parent, I’d be breaking shit in the garage 

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Has KU lost this many games in B12 play before? 

Nope. Had a couple 12-6 seasons but 10-8 is their worst Big 12 record so far 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nope. Had a couple 12-6 seasons but 10-8 is their worst Big 12 record so far 

Without their normal home cooking from officials, KU might have been struggling to reach .500 this season. Likley to be 2-7 on the road in the Big 12.

KU player was giving Shead a reach around on that foul.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What a fucking pathetic effort. Just pissed away a huge opportunity

Take heart, this was always going to be the outcome of the UH-KU game.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What a fucking pathetic effort. Just pissed away a huge opportunity

I didn't think K-State had a chance in hell of getting an NCAA bid outside of winning the conference tournament. But today's win ... maybe changes things? What are your thoughts?

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I didn't think K-State had a chance in hell of getting an NCAA bid outside of winning the conference tournament. But today's win ... maybe changes things? What are your thoughts?

They are the #10 seed, so they would play TCU or us in the 2nd round, and then a potential rematch with ISU in the quarters. If they go 2-1 or better in the tournament, I think they could sneak into the final 4 at-large.