Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was reading something the other day where OSU has the worst NIL in the conference and they know it. There is a chance they might focus on that this offseason instead of changing coaches.

The NIL isn't there because the money people don't like paying short term dollars for mediocrity, or this year, just really really bad basketball. With the No. 1 pick and most talented player to ever where an OSU uniform, we finished 5th in conference and lost in the second round to a 12 (or 11) seed. This year's team was flat awful and did nothing well, and were flat out bad at everything. The fact that he went out of his way to call the Tulsa World to bitch about it and blame the donors, while undermining his own transfer players, was the last straw for people like me who liked him and were hoping desperately to see him have some success. But even if I still felt that way about him personally, it's time to move on. 

All that said, he has a $9 million buyout, and our athletic department just hasn't cared about basketball since losing Underfuck after one year. Boynton was a lazy hire at the time, and it's borne out to be a bad hire overall. We'll do something to pretend that NIL is there, when it isn't, and have another season of sub .500 basketball. I just don't care anymore unless and until the school gives a single fuck.

Damn.

I figured the Doug Gottliebs would put up more of a fight.😀

Okie Lite has been competitive in basketball for as long as I can remember. It’s weird now when they aren’t.

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't know who that is but I haven't seen it anywhere else. I also thought we had to wait to April 1 to save some money on the buyout. It's definitely time though, hope it happens.

you-serious-clark-eat.gif

It's everywhere on Twitter now though.

OSU list will be interesting.  I would think the 2 Missouri Valley darlings (Schertz at Indiana State and DeVries at Drake) would be on their radar.

I think DeVries would kill it there.  I don't want him in the Big 12 though.

I haven't even followed enough to know who the big names are as assistants or lower divisions. This will be Weiberg's first big hire, he better get it right, or that building will remain empty for the foreseeable future.

Rumors are that Steve Alford will be OSU's next coach. I'd prefer someone younger, but if true, I can't say I hate it too much. His track record is solid and what we need more than anything right now is respectability and appearances in March. I think he can get us there, but still hope for Devries or one of the other lower level up and comers that are currently in the dance.

54 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Rumors are that Steve Alford will be OSU's next coach. I'd prefer someone younger, but if true, I can't say I hate it too much. His track record is solid and what we need more than anything right now is respectability and appearances in March. I think he can get us there, but still hope for Devries or one of the other lower level up and comers that are currently in the dance.

I would imagine that would probably be his last stop before retirement

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Eeesh, I dunno. That's some recycled goods there, 'stache. He's a proven winner and would be an upgrade over Boynton, but I still feel like y'all could do better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Not the worst hire y'all could make, but I'm not sure I'd be too happy about it.

He’s a scum bag and you’ll hate him. He’s the only guy both Cyclone and Hawkeye fans mutually loathe.

His return to Hilton will be absolute comedy.

From 1980 to 2024, OSU has the #27th ranked program by average end of year Massey Rating.  Since 2000, that climbs to #25.  That puts them in a peer group with Arkansas, Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown and Memphis.  

They should be able to get a top-tier coach.  I would have thought they could get someone better and younger than Alford.  

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

From 1980 to 2024, OSU has the #27th ranked program by average end of year Massey Rating.  Since 2000, that climbs to #25.  That puts them in a peer group with Arkansas, Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown and Memphis.  

They should be able to get a top-tier coach.  I would have thought they could get someone better and younger than Alford.  

Agreed 100%

They tried that with Boynton and he was a horrible hire.

Boynton was an assistant hired to keep a recruiting class together.

He exceeded expectations early and everyone liked him so it bought him time.

It was not some well thought out hire.

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

We’ve also had only two really good coaches in our history, Iba and Sutton. Granted, Iba coached for like 40 years but his last decade was pretty underwhelming. Fun fact, Iba was also AD and hated football, hence our 50 year era of suck after those good teams from the ‘40s and letting a blueblood develop down the road unimpeded.

We still have great facilities and support if there is some success so it is a pretty good job. Of the current openings Louisville and Michigan are the only programs that are arguable above us (Michigan primarily because of resources). The candidate pool is pretty deep too. Again I hope we go younger but if it’s Alford I’d at least expect to be playing more in March which is what we need most right now.

So with Texas and blOU leaving, what changes might happen to B12 basketball next year??

Assuming all the current B12 coaches return along with Yormark's affinity for WWE style promotions, next year's B12 season seems like a no brainer to be a big-time marketing event.

What do the remaining B12 teams fans want to see changed or improved for 2024-25 season??

On 3/14/2024 at 11:14 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

OSU list will be interesting.  I think DeVries would kill it there.  I don't want him in the Big 12 though.

Congrats... yah got DeVries in the B12 😋 

Screenshot_20240325-075959_kindlephoto-3552481.png.b7892fc8d7a1759c2d0ef861321d2b2c.png

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, I don't believe much of anything anymore. Bill Haisten at the Tulsa World ran with this, after an article last week that said Steve Alford had accepted an offer in principle prior to the weekend. The source also is from CBS where Doug Gottlieb works and who is annoyingly advocated on his show for the job like he did 7 years ago. If you want to coach Doug, go fucking coach, don't expect a Big 12 job right off the bat just because you played here.

There are also lots of good candidates this cycle. I'm not too worried. Ben McCullom of DII NW Missouri State is a name that keeps coming up. I'm not real thrilled with the risk, but wouldn't hate that hire, and I think he would say yes pretty quick, from what I've seen. Danny Sprinkle, Stee Lutz, and Pat Kelsey are also names being mentioned, and none would be a bad hire. 

As far as pecking order, yeah we've stunk for 20 fucking years, the shine tends to dissipate after that much time. WVU is at least a peer program and all else being equal, there are reasons to take that job over other peer jobs, or not, but any suggestion that we're significantly lower is just false. We're on par with pretty much any job outside the bluebloods and mid-tier programs that have had success. The talent pool is pretty deep, it's a good year to make a hire. 

If we hire some no name assistant again that wasn't on anyones radar, I'll come back, eat crow, and stew in my own misery for the next several years. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Word is he effectively got cut. Without the off the court stuff he probably gets to stick around.

That makes no sense.   His baggage can be tolerated during the season but once it's over we just can't have that around?

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

That makes no sense.   His baggage can be tolerated during the season but once it's over we just can't have that around?

Yeah that’s weird. I ‘member tech fans hoping and praying he wouldn’t transfer after Adams was let go. Now he’s been cut and it’s all “meh, whatever”

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that’s weird. I ‘member tech fans hoping and praying he wouldn’t transfer after Adams was let go. Now he’s been cut and it’s all “meh, whatever”

I was told he was encouraged to leave, beyond that I'm just guessing. Entirely possible McCasland just wants a different type of guard than what he brings to the table.

Before @Js1 winds up another freak bitch fastball, I would rather be stayed, so I have no clue what you're blathering about. But it ain't up to me so it's a moot point.

I was thinking, hmmm maybe we should go after him. Then I looked at his stats.  Ooof.  Inefficient AF.

image.thumb.png.49559b74759ddf882d4e1bb27c918dbd.png

Compared to everyone's favorite... Tyrese Hunter, who half the fans want to transfer

image.thumb.png.c32e3869f5965f4af9ad78311375b4f7.png