GOLD CUP 2023 (General Discussion)

Napoleon

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It all depends on how many dual nats born in England they can convince to play for them.

11 of the 13 players they have playing in England were born in England.

It's like the entire team is Baloguns and Musahs.

Oh, wow. Did not know this. In other sports, it's sort of been the opposite (born Jamaicans representing other countries, such as Ben Johnson and Donovan Bailey for Canada or Linford Christie for the U.K.).

Guess there's too much talent moving up through the UK youth system to keep them all happy. Must be a nice problem to have. I'm just happy to keep the majority of the U.S.-born-and-raised Latinos of Mexican heritage from pledging for El Tri.

56 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thought exercise: why does Jamaica so routinely underdeliver? Must be an organizational issue because it seems like the Reggae Boyz have always had some talent at key positions.

I'm not sure that Jamaica has had this level of a roster before. I remember when we played them in WCQ, their recruitment of players like Bailey and Antonio was a recent thing. So I  am not sure I would agree they have underdelievered.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm not sure that Jamaica has had this level of a roster before. I remember when we played them in WCQ, their recruitment of players like Bailey and Antonio was a recent thing. So I  am not sure I would agree they have underdelievered.

Definitely not this current level, but Jamaica's rosters have been historically populated with MLSers such as Williams, Lawrence and Mattocks, plus a few guys that featured for Championship and Premiership sides in England.

Yet it hasn't qualified for a World Cup since 1998 (its only time), which is pretty bad considering CONCACAF gets a generous number (3.5) of berths and it's relatively easy to reach the final round of qualifying.

The Reggae Boyz did reach back-to-back Gold Cup finals in 2015 and 2017 but ... geez, it just seems like they could've/should've done better and advanced to ONE of the six World Cups since 1998. I don't think they've even made it to an inter-confederation playoff.

But maybe I'm overselling them. /shrug

20 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Definitely not this current level, but Jamaica's rosters have been historically populated with MLSers such as Williams, Lawrence and Mattocks, plus a few guys that featured for Championship and Premiership sides in England.

Yet it hasn't qualified for a World Cup since 1998 (its only time), which is pretty bad considering CONCACAF gets a generous number (3.5) of berths and it's relatively easy to reach the final round of qualifying.

The Reggae Boyz did reach back-to-back Gold Cup finals in 2015 and 2017 but ... geez, it just seems like they could've/should've done better and advanced to ONE of the six World Cups since 1998. I don't think they've even made it to an inter-confederation playoff.

But maybe I'm overselling them. /shrug

Nah not really - they make the Hex/Octagonal quite regularly but just aren't quite good enough to beat out the fourth place team behind the US, Mexico, and Costa Rica - which recently has been Honduras. The only reason they qualified in 1998 was because of a draw against the US on the road and finished 3rd (CONCACAF only had 3 spots back then).

I think it's reasonable to expect them to qualify for 2026 and be a contender to do so onward since there will be more spots. That's probably why they have such a strong team now and are able to recruit the double nationals easier - they can realistically sell a WC spot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

TNT imploding. Jamaica already up 2-0 inside of 20 minutes and making it look easy.

If the Jamaican soccer federation had any money, they could be really good. 

Im not saying “They have athletic citizens and could develop them better.”, though that’s also true, but who wants to fly coach (probably) back to a swamp when your English club gets a week off during the season and then get paid a paltry amount (probably) to play on shitty fields in shitty weather in shitty stadiums with savages for opposing fans?

People want to play for a national team, whether it is the one they grew up cheering for or maybe one their parents/grandparents grew up cheering for.

If there were enough financial incentives and professionalism around the national team, then a lot more Brits of Jamaican descent would play for Jamaica, take it seriously, and build a power together. (Probably)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t mind Ferreira starting, I just have a problem with his starting in the #9. 

F U C K !!!

There is no way that BJ wants to see Ferreira at the #9, because he hasn’t seen enough of that shit over the last 24 month. 

🤬

40 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No comment.

FzwEP-DaIAAgC6O?format=jpg&name=medium

EDIT: OK, I lied, I have to comment--Berhalter and Ferreira must be having butt sex. Only thing that explains this.

Just realized that Sean Johnson is starting. Thank Jesus! It’s about time we get to see what he can do, again, on the pitch. 

W

T

F

?

!

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

0-0 barnburner (seriously) at the new swamp

cuscatlecos fans lifting their side and holding their own v. ticos

For all of those losers who aren’t at home watching two Central American teams in the Gold Cup on a Friday night, you are missing quite a fun game. 

This could be the wildest game so far in the entire tournament. Back and forth with shots and near misses. Pretty much end-to-end action. Someone is going to get gassed and F up, but that’s the way we like it. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So, uh, Cuba might want to consider marking the Guadeloupe players when they're five meters outside the area. Three top-shelf strikes so far, all from range, all at left post, and all with plenty of space.

IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.f2a4d21fc94aa1a79ad1cd01a3d140cf.jpeg