GOLD CUP 2023 (General Discussion)

Napoleon

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I’ll laugh at Mexico because why not?

But given they had already won the group, meh, not like the result matters. 

It's still an embarrassing result. Mexico brought the same team they did for Nations League and Qatar brought their "B" team (from what I've read a lot of the guys from their WC squad didn't come to Gold Cup).

The reactions of the Mexican fans are great:

• Haha 7

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not that it matters, but Greece had more than one shot and definitely did not make 30 saves. Your mind has, uh, embellished that over the decades, sir.

EDIT: reference added

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_final

A little luck never hurts, either. When forward Angelos Charisteas headed home the game's lone goal in the 57th minute, exploiting a misread by Portuguese goalkeeper Ricardo, it came off Greece's only corner kick of the match and was its only shot on goal. (Talk about a magic bullet.) The possession-dominating Portuguese, by contrast, had 10 corner kicks and 10 shots on goal. "We were better in some chapters of the game," said Portugal coach Luiz Felipe (Big Phil) Scolari, who led his native Brazil to the World Cup title in 2002, "but they scored and we didn't."

https://vault.si.com/vault/2004/07/12/euro-2004-final-greece-portugal

the 30 saves part was obviously hyperbole

but either the wiki is wrong, or SI and my memory are wrong, about the single shot on goal

i distinctly remember a shot distribution map with a single blue circle filled in

que sera sera

vaya con queso

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

A little luck never hurts, either. When forward Angelos Charisteas headed home the game's lone goal in the 57th minute, exploiting a misread by Portuguese goalkeeper Ricardo, it came off Greece's only corner kick of the match and was its only shot on goal. (Talk about a magic bullet.) The possession-dominating Portuguese, by contrast, had 10 corner kicks and 10 shots on goal. "We were better in some chapters of the game," said Portugal coach Luiz Felipe (Big Phil) Scolari, who led his native Brazil to the World Cup title in 2002, "but they scored and we didn't."

but either the wiki is wrong, or SI and my memory are wrong, about the single shot on goal

i distinctly remember a shot distribution map with a single blue circle filled in

que sera sera

vaya con queso

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/match/79185/

UEFA has one shot on goal with 4 total. 

Greece did that the entire knock out round - they'd get the one goal then park the bus. It worked.

Edited by The Dog

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

que sera sera

vaya con queso

You've watched enough soccer by now that you should know the difference between a shot and a shot on goal, Haggy.

55 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Yeah, why are they taking a day off?   Also the next US match isn’t until next Sunday 

1) The groups played on their own nights (for the most part), so tonight was too soon for group C and especially group D.

2) Tuesday is a holiday, and if they promise fireworks shows, they can get butts in seats for island nations. 

3) They are spreading out the games, because they need games between nobody countries to be on the weekends. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, The Dog said:

It's still an embarrassing result. Mexico brought the same team they did for Nations League and Qatar brought their "B" team (from what I've read a lot of the guys from their WC squad didn't come to Gold Cup).

The reactions of the Mexican fans are great:

That is absolutely fantastic. When it comes to international playin the last 5-6 years, no one has collapsed worse than Mexico. Glad to see their program starting to wander the wastelands after years of beating us and talking shit about how they own CONCACAF. Well that's no longer true. Hell they can't even make Nations League final anymore. Also, fuck Ochoa. He's a douchebag. 

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

That is absolutely fantastic. When it comes to international playin the last 5-6 years, no one has collapsed worse than Mexico. Glad to see their program starting to wander the wastelands after years of beating us and talking shit about how they own CONCACAF. Well that's no longer true. Hell they can't even make Nations League final anymore. Also, fuck Ochoa. He's a douchebag. 

it's cyclical and streaky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico–United_States_soccer_rivalry

they'll be back

cuba have nothing to play for - canada are desperate to right the ship - i could see the i ching delivering a shock result like this - but cuba owes canada a tremendous amount of goodwill

vacationing canadians brought the only hard currency to cuba for 3 decades

canada v. cuba

1st meeting 05 orocopa

6-0-0

20 for

1 against

are you going to actually predict a cuban win?  no hedging here, no fence sitting.......

/bold strategy cotton

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That GUA-GUA game was entertaining as hell. The faux-Frenchies waste a chance to equalize on a late PK, which means Guatemala wins the group and the Maple Leaves secure second.

The USMNT's B/C side should be able to Canada's B team. Let it be so.

Calling Guadeloupe “faux Frenchies” would be like calling a Hawaiian team playing in a Polynesian Cup “Faux Americans”.

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Just finished up the Guat game.  Such trashy fans.  I did LOL at the woman with her tit out, breastfeeding in the middle of the game.  Wish it was her ^^^.

In most of the western hemisphere, this isn’t a big deal. Feeding your kid. That doesn’t mean that I don’t occasionally steal a peek, but it isn’t something to hide or be ashamed of. 

In the U.S. it is sexualized and women are shamed into hiding the act or leaving to find somewhere to be alone. 🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

In most of the western hemisphere, this isn’t a big deal. Feeding your kid. That doesn’t mean that I don’t occasionally steal a peek, but it isn’t something to hide or be ashamed of. 

In the U.S. it is sexualized and women are shamed into hiding the act or leaving to find somewhere to be alone. 🤷‍♂️

Right,  I don't really care about it one way or the other.  I just thought it odd in the middle of a game.   With all the beer being thrown, the kid probably got drunk.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

move over kid, your bothering me

NARRATOR: The kid wasn't even hers.

Panama embarrassing Qatar shouldn't be a surprise. The Canaleros sent their A team and have been playing well. Meanwhile, Qatar sent its B side and then was forced to play without many of those starters tonight because the CONCACAF ref from Canada during the group finale against Mexico got frustrated about not being able to push El Tri to victory so he instead dished out NINE cautions to Qatari players.

So basically, Panama is playing Qatar's C team.