Mass shooting in Fargo (North Dakota) averted last week

Parliament

Bad guy shot up some cops at a crash scene.  Gets found with a buncha weapons, ammo and explosives.  Turns out he was googling bad things.

North Dakota law enforcement officials on Friday said a gunman searched online for area public events along with the terms “kill fast” and “mass shooting events” before he ambushed police with nearly 40 rounds of gunfire, killing one officer and seriously injuring two others and a civilian before he was fatally shot.

While for now they believe 37-year-old Mohamed Barakat acted alone, a motive for his actions remains unclear.

“We have no reason to believe the public is in further danger,” said Mac Schneider, U.S. Attorney for the District of North Dakota said during a Friday news conference. “… Even in the early stage of the investigation, if there was clear evidence of motive we would share it.”

North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley said investigators believe for now that there were no co-conspirators, and do not believe the shooting was religiously motivated.

Inside Barakat’s car, they found what Schneider described as an “absolute arsenal,” 1,800 rounds, multiple guns and a homemade hand grenade, along with gasoline containers and two propane tanks filled with explosive materials built in his home. The tanks were detonated by a bomb squad, and proved to be very powerful, Wrigley said.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/07/21/fargo-gunman-searched-online-for-kill-fast-and-mass-shooting-events-officials-say/

• Rage+1 2

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

Bad guy shot up some cops at a crash scene.  Gets found with a buncha weapons, ammo and explosives.  Turns out he was googling bad things.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/07/21/fargo-gunman-searched-online-for-kill-fast-and-mass-shooting-events-officials-say/

Any pics of Mohamed Barakat? Was he a Dakota native?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

So, are we saying that we averted a mass shooting…to describe a scenario where said “aversion” was the potential mass shooter committing a shooting where he killed one, wounded a couple/few others? I think we have the formula for a solution now. Just have to hope more shooters do one shooting before their planned big one.

So, are we saying that we averted a mass shooting…to describe a scenario where said “aversion” was the potential mass shooter committing a shooting where he killed one, wounded a couple/few others? I think we have the formula for a solution now. Just have to hope more shooters do one shooting before their planned big one.

I personally think he got cold feet and opted for suicide by cop. The theory amongst investigators is he wanted to create a distraction at the car accident scene, and then proceed to the street fair to really fuck shit up.

I have no idea what would’ve happened had there not been a car accident. But he could’ve easily drove around the accident and went guns blazing at the packed street fair. I drove past the fair the day before the shooting and thought about how vulnerable it was with just a couple of saw horses stopping a vehicle from ramming through. Scary/sad deal
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

FF to 7:30 in.  I know it's fashionable to bag on the police here, but by my rudimentary understanding of tactics I think this officer did it right.  Reacted instantly, called for help, used the cover of the BMW's engine block, and moved to cover to reload.  No civilians were harmed by the police.

https://www.facebook.com/thecityoffargo/videos/131803596653941

Edited by Parliament

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

7:30 in.  I know it's fashionable to bag on the police here, but by my rudimentary understanding of tactics I think this officer did it right.  Reacted instantly, called for help, used the cover of the BMW's engine block, and moved to cover to reload.  No civilians were harmed by the police.

https://www.facebook.com/thecityoffargo/videos/131803596653941

A cop, or a few cops are fully capable of doing good in the world. Get all of them into a department and they megazord themselves into a gang and will weild state violence against pretty much anyone for any reason (see fuck the police thread)

• Hook 'Em 2