2023 Ryder Cup - Marco Simone Golf & CC, Roma, Italy

Wally Fairway

Hank Haney is a clown - he acts like a fool so you pay attention to him. Since Tiger ditched him, his only contribution to golf has been to try to be the Stephen A Smith of golf.

It's also widely believed the swing changes Haney installed into Tiger are a big reason for his knee issues.

Forget the fact that I do agree with his general premise in this case...

25 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

It is just part of the head games - I wanna see if the Euro's pick straight down the line, which means no IJP or any other LIV'r

For the umpteenth time: Donald cannot pick any LIV players. To be considered, you have to be a member of the DP Tour. All of the LIV guys had to resign and can’t be reinstated until next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2023 at 8:50 PM, Wally Fairway said:

It is just part of the head games - I wanna see if the Euro's pick straight down the line, which means no IJP or any other LIV'r

Pretty that the Euro's have picked players not in their Top 12 before.

Sergio and Poulter come to mind...

Donald made his picks and Team Euro is (OWGR):
Automatic qualifiers
Matt FItz (8)
Ty Hatton (13)
Viktor (4)
Robert MacIntyre (54)
Rory (2)
Rahm (3)

Captains picks
Ludvig Aberg (90)
Tommy Fleetwood (14)
Nicolai Hojgaard (78)
Shane Lowry (37)
Justin Rose (34)
Sepp Straka (23)

for comparison Team USA OWGR
Scottie (1)
Wyndham Clark (10)
Harman (9)
Slowpoke Cantlay (5)
Max (7)
Xander (6)

Burns (20)
Rickie (26)
Brooksie  (15)
Morikawa (19)
Jordan (12)
JT (25)

On paper the US should be tough to beat, lowest rated player is 26, avg just under 13; Euro lowest rated player is 90 with 5 players ranked lower that than Rickie, average ranking is 30.
The Cup is won on paper, Team RWB had better come ready to play - and unless they play this weeks PGA event it will likely be a month since they played a competitive round.

Donald getting criticized...

Ryder Cup: Team Europe’s Luke Donald pulls a fast one leaving Adrian Meronk off the team with captain’s picks

The 2023 Ryder Cup is less than four weeks away at Marco Simone Country Club in Rome, Italy. In what is expected to be highly competitive, the United States finalized their roster last week. Team USA Captain Zach Johnson took some heat for his captain’s picks, opting for Justin Thomas and others ahead of Keegan Bradley.

It appears Team Europe’s captain, Luke Donald, took a page out of Johnson’s playbook.

On Monday, Donald named his captain’s picks, with one glaring omission; Adrian Meronk.

Donald selected Tommy Fleetwood, Sepp Straka, Nicolai Hojgaard, Shane Lowry, Ludvig Aberg and Justin Rose.

Fleetwood, Straka and Rose were all but locks for the team. But an argument can easily be made for Meronk over Hojgaard, Lowry or Aberg.

Meronk is having an undeniable breakout over the last year or so.

He won the Irish Open last July, won the Australian Open in December, and most importantly captured the Italian Open in May this year. That happens to be the course venue for this year’s Ryder Cup. Safe to say, he likes that track.

He also has five other top-10s, finished fifth in European Ryder Cup standings, and is currently third in the DP World Tour rankings behind only Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm.

Donald’s picks will join Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Viktor Hovland, Tyrrell Hatton, Robert Macintyre and Matt Fitzpatrick in Rome. They look to take back the Cup after Team USA handled them quite easily at Whistling Straits.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/ryder-cup-team-europe-s-luke-donald-pulls-a-fast-one-leaving-adrian-meronk-off-the-team-with-captain-s-picks/ar-AA1gePWa

On 9/25/2023 at 8:57 PM, LTtxfan said:

Every Hole at Marco Simone Golf Club

9/6/2023

Beautiful course.

Tight landing spaces on most holes and almost every green has one, two or even three tiers.

Also a few drivable par 4's are possible for big hitters.

Should be fun.

I actually prefer it when it is in Europe becasue it does not interfere with CFB.

I know everyone will be talking about the drivable par 4s and the strategy. But watching that video nothing looked too scary to me. If the wind gets going then yeah the gunch becomes worrisome but the one thing that did make me pause were the par 3’s. I know they aren’t super long but looking at some of the green plateaus….I think the par 3s will play a bigger role than people think-meaning like swing holes. There’s about 6 holes that look like halve holes but the par 3’s will be tough especially on alternate shot. Beautiful course, US can easily do it-just need to play this strategic. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

No JT, Jordan or Koepka is somewhat surprising but I doubt any US player is going to go out 5 times. 

All 3 have had recent struggles, especially off the tee.  Also criticism of JT addition to this team probably won't be discussed after the 1st session tomorrow.

Not sure how much confidence I have in Zach as the Captain... sure would be great for USA to win Session #1 tomorrow.