2023 Ryder Cup - Marco Simone Golf & CC, Roma, Italy

Wally Fairway

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

We aren't stacked. We are looking like we're going to get our asses kicked.

What are you talking about?

Euros are top heavy (5 deep maybe - Rory, Rahm, hovland, Fitz, Hatton off the top of my head... Maybe Fleetwood putter depending), but after that the fall off is tremendous compared to the US side. Even with Fitz, Hatton, and Fleetwood, there isn't anyone in the top 10 of the US that I don't think wouldn't win that match. 

This is our best shot at winning over there in a very long time. Not winning would be a monumental disappointment regardless of it being on European soil.

We 100% don't need koepka who has played a whole 4 real tournaments and is coming off a stretch of golf so bad he ran away and took a payday. There is plenty of talent on this US team. 

Let's just put this notion to bed that the US isn't stacked, at least relative to the Euro team. Look at whatever rankings you want - OWGR, FedEx, SG: Total, or my personal fav the datagolf rankings. Look how far you have to go down the list to get to the first 12 Americans vs 12 Euros.

As an example... In datagolf, the #12 ranked American is #23 Cameron Young. For Europe, JRose is #7 and ranked #21. #12 on the Euro team is ranked #58 Alex Noren, who is behind Adrian Meronk. The Euro's bottom 4 are trash and their 4-7 are ranked well below 4-7 on the US side. I would bet you can run this exercise with whatever golf ranking you'd like and arrive at similar results.

Side debate - Koepka is not in the top 12 and before we make the argument (he's all the way down at #39), Cam Smith is #7 so it's not all because of LIV though certainly that's part of it. Byrson is ranked higher (considerably higher, at that at #28).

Ya ya ya, rankings are flawed blah blah blah. Not sure how else you want to make the case though.

When push comes to shove, can the Euro's win? Of fucking course they can, but it would be a major disappointment if they did.

Edited by dieucla98

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

When push comes to shove, can the Euro's win? Of fucking course they can, but it would be a major disappointment if they did.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

ryder-cup-usa-team-1993.jpg

You have to go all the way back to September 1993 to find the last time the US won the biennial contest on the eastern side of the Atlantic. 

Team USA Captains picks scheduled time of announcement and where to watch/listen

On Aug. 29, the golf world will have its eyes on Frisco, Texas — not for a major championship, but to decide who completes the 2023 United States Ryder Cup Team.

With the conclusion of the FedExCup Playoffs and six automatic qualifiers locked-in following the BMW Championship, Captain Zach Johnson will select his six Captain’s Picks at the Home of the PGA of America in Frisco. Johnson’s six picks will join the six other players and five Vice Captains at Marco Simone Golf & Country in Rome, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, as the U.S. looks to win the Ryder Cup for the first time on European soil since 1993.

Here’s the details you need for the exciting announcement later this month:

Time — 10-11 a.m. ET
Location — Home of the PGA of America, Frisco, Texas

How to Watch/Listen — @RyderCupUSA Social Channels, Golf Channel, RyderCup.com & SiriusXM Radio Channel 92.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, LTtxfan said:

On a side note, I'm not sold that Keegan should make this Ryder team

On 8/14/2023 at 2:39 PM, ztejas said:

I trust Keegan's game more than JT's right now at the very least. And like I said, he's an older guy with a great personality that would take the opportunity extremely seriously. 

Keegan trying to make me eat my words -- Definitely a good showing so far this weekend

On 8/23/2023 at 10:03 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Team USA Captains picks scheduled time of announcement and where to watch/listen.     Tuesday Aug. 29th

Time — 10-11 a.m. ET

Location — Home of the PGA of America, Frisco, Texas

How to Watch/Listen — @RyderCupUSA Social Channels, Golf Channel, RyderCup.com & SiriusXM Radio Channel 92.

So less than 24hours till announcement...

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I am seeing rumors online that JT is in (not too excited by that, but it could be worse)

I was coming to post a similar sentiment. I think the basic argument is if he wasn't in, he'd be playing Europe these last 3 weeks to try to prove himself to ZJ so since he's not doing that, he must have been told he's in.

I can't imagine JT making the team. He knows he's done nothing to earn the spot this year and he'd be taking it over someone like Finau, Young, Burns, etc... The pressure for him to perform would be immense and that's probably not a good thing for his golf swing or, even more so, his fragile putting stroke.

JT shouldn’t be on the team.  Period.  End of story.  He’s taking a spot that should go to someone who’s playing well, and there are a lot of guys who are playing well who aren’t regulars on these teams.  Young, Bradley, Burns, Glover, and Henley off the top of my head.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

JT shouldn’t be on team.   He’s taking a spot that should go to someone who’s playing well.  Young, Bradley, Burns, Glover, and Henley off the top of my head.

Assuming Burns is picked...   JT and Rickie might pass by Cam Young and Keegan??  If true, not gonna be easy to defend both picks for Zach.  (Btw, Zach and Spieth are good friends too.)

Screenshot_2023-08-28-18-09-45_kindlephoto-367621.png.b9e778d70ba3212609b316d4e3cb4781.png

www-instagram-com-p-cuhdvubrry9-83103893

rTriE=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

JT shouldn’t be on the team.  Period.  End of story.  He’s taking a spot that should go to someone who’s playing well, and there are a lot of guys who are playing well who aren’t regulars on these teams.  Young, Bradley, Burns, Glover, and Henley off the top of my head.

I agree with this actually.  And Zack didn't call and ask my opinion, but I would go 1-13 and leave Brooks off the team.  Yeah, I know, did great in the majors, been there, balls of steel, gives zero fucks, etc.  Ricky's 13 and deserves to make the team.  Guys 1-13 stayed with the PGA, didn't bail to the LIV, and stuck it out.  They've played together, been paired together, traveled together, been stuck in the locker rooms together during rain delays, etc.  Brooks hasn't.  And dumped on the PGA at times when talking about LIV, although he wasn't near as bad as some of the others. 

Just my opinion.  If ZJ calls me, I'll let him know.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Let’s make a bet. I’ll take the U.S. to retain the cup. Loser can’t post anywhere on Surly for a week of October 2 - October 8. 

I'm not betting against the US. I want us to win. 

I don't see this as the team that breaks a 30 year drought. Winning in Europe is hard. JT has been horrible all year. Scottie can't buy a 5 foot putt right now. Spieth is all over the place. Koepka doesn't even play on Tour. Morikawa had a dogshit season and just completely fell apart at East Lake.

There are guys playing well right now like Homa, X and Cantlay but we're going to need more than that. 

I don't think the Euro team is great but they're at home, their top 3 guys are all hammers and will play the max allowed and you know they're going to find guys in the weeds that turn out to be absolute cocksuckers. 

I'd take Keegan over JT and call it a day. 

But I think we're fucked regardless of which 12 we take.

I'm amazed that people are this confident about the US team going into this. We are missing two guys that combined went 7 wins 1 tie and zero losses in 2021. A third of our team is going to be fucking rookies going to play in Europe. 

I'd recommend A Good Walk Spoiled to any golf fan. Off the top of my head - I believe that there's a passage about Azinger feeling considerably more pressure at that '93 Ryder than he did at the '93 PGA Championship that he had just won. 

And by the way, that was the last time we won in Europe. And one of our best players was basically pissing his pants. 

I just don't see any way we win this. 

No issues with Rickie. Dude has done a 180 with his golf game and deserves this.

JT is a big WTF. My opinion of Koepka is well chronicled but JT making the team definitely gives me more pause. He has to perform which during the season when he had to perform, he didn't... He's hoping for Spieth to lift him. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

No issues with Rickie. Dude has done a 180 with his golf game and deserves this.

JT is a big WTF. My opinion of Koepka is well chronicled but JT making the team definitely gives me more pause. He has to perform which during the season when he had to perform, he didn't... He's hoping for Spieth to lift him. 

Dude you love Spieth so fucking much. I'm not ragging on you - I like your contributions to these threads - but damn dude you fucking love your guy.

I like it. I want to love this US team and I hope we fuck them up - I'm just not seeing it. 

Maybe Rory blows his knee out on the range before the first day.

Let's see what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I do love Spieth. I love what he does for the game. Him, Rory, and Tiger have done more to advance golf than anyone else in the last 10 years (at least) and ultimately, that's what's important to me because I'm a golf sicko. Before the last 2 years, you could add Phil to that list.

Jordan and Rory also seem to be great human beings on top of it. And only one of all these is a Longhorn so here I am. 

I'm a big JT fan as well but he didn't earn this. He may prove me wrong and go Pompei on their ass and I'd be all for it but I think he's leaning on Spieth to accomplish that (which is a rocky boat at the moment). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I do love Spieth. I love what he does for the game. Him, Rory, and Tiger have done more to advance golf than anyone else in the last 10 years (at least) and ultimately, that's what's important to me because I'm a golf sicko. Before the last 2 years, you could add Phil to that list.

Jordan and Rory also seem to be great human beings on top of it. And only one of all these is a Longhorn so here I am. 

I'm a big JT fan as well but he didn't earn this. He may prove me wrong and go Pompei on their ass and I'd be all for it but I think he's leaning on Spieth to accomplish that (which is a rocky boat at the moment). 

What a refreshing fucking take.

I feel like we've always been at odds in these threads because I'm a huge Rory fan and you're big on Spieth. I guess for me my fandom of UT sports never translated as much to UT guys playing on tour. I mean I was already a huge Rory fan by the time Spieth made his presence felt.

That said - I've never really rooted against more than a couple of guys in particular on Tour - and Spieth has really grown on me the more I watch him fight back to try and return to form. 

I'm also a big JT fan. I remember maybe a couple years ago there was that video circulating of him writing the dude trying to make it on Tour a fat check. I've been team JT ever since. 

All that said I'm not sure about this squad we're bringing. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 6:24 PM, LTtxfan said:

Assuming Burns is picked...   JT and Rickie might pass by Cam Young and Keegan??  If true, not gonna be easy to defend both picks for Zach.  (Btw, Zach and Spieth are good friends too.)

Screenshot_2023-08-28-18-09-45_kindlephoto-367621.png.b9e778d70ba3212609b316d4e3cb4781.png

www-instagram-com-p-cuhdvubrry9-83103893

rTriE=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Damn JT has a Sark look going on in that middle photo.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

at least Rickie is top 10 in putting.  JT is Spieth buddy pick.  multiple guys more deserving and playing better.  hope it works out.

Yeah, one brutal podcast that I watched said the average putting rating for the 6 captain's picks was somewhere in the 70's.

Gonna be an unbelievable amount of pressure on JT/Spiethcoaster pairing... will be interesting to watch and hopefully not a disaster show.  

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, one brutal podcast that I watched said the average putting rating for the 6 captain's picks was somewhere in the 70's.

Gonna be an unbelievable amount of pressure on JT/Spiethcoaster pairing... will be interesting to watch and hopefully not a disaster show.  

yeah and then you have Scottie's putting...Spieth wants JT.  I think Spieth is a hard pairing because his game and his general course demeanor are way different than most guys.  It is easy to stick JT with Spieth and then no one else has to deal with the coaster/constant talking

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I won’t pick us to win over there until we actually do it but even with JT our team is deeper than theirs. There will probably be one or two guys on their team that people on this thread couldn’t pick out of a lineup. 

and those 2 guys will be making 80 foot chips, holing out from the sand and drop[ing 40 foot bombs to halve holes

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1993 we brought 4 rookies. Wadkins the best Cup player of his generation was ranked in the 70s in the world rankings and got a captains pick. Went 2-1-1. US won the Cup. 

2023 we’re bringing 4 rookies. Justin Thomas the best Cup player of his generation…

I feel bad for Keegan but with the team composite it makes sense to bring in JT the glue guy.  I don’t see the case for Young (rookie) or Glover (hot for only two weeks, also rookie). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, 4th&Five said:

I won’t pick us to win over there until we actually do it but even with JT our team is deeper than theirs. There will probably be one or two guys on their team that people on this thread couldn’t pick out of a lineup. 

I mostly agree. Woulda liked to see Keegan instead of JT. But outside of their top 6 the Euros aren't bringing much that scares you.