2023 Ryder Cup - Marco Simone Golf & CC, Roma, Italy

Wally Fairway

I didn’t think k I would care as much as I did today. I don’t even get pissed when the Cowboys lose anymore and I hate for the horns to lose but I don’t scream at the TV anymore.

But today just pissed me off. It wasn’t even the early losses but rather choking away those leads today really puts in a bad mood.

• Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they all suck but Fowler should have been on the bench, the Harman Homa pairing, and leaving Koepka out was fucking idiotic from Johnson.  that said, the real problem is we have zero alpha's who are ready for the stage in Europe.  they fade like a 1000 dollar claiming race.

Solid post...  especially the alpha comment

I'm pissed that I got up to watch it

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

Koepka and Scheffler now hold the biggest loss since the switch from 36 hole matches to 18  

These are the biggest blowouts, by format, in Ryder Cup history for 18 holes matches.

Singles

Twice in Ryder Cup history a golfer has won a singles match by an 8-and-7 score. Both times, the winner was American. In the 1989 Ryder Cup, Tom Kite defeated Howard Clark by 8 and 7 (meaning the match ended after the 12th hole, when Kite reached an insurmountable lead of eight holes ahead with only seven holes left on the course). And in the 1997 Ryder Cup, Fred Couples won by an 8-and-7 score over Ian Woosnam. No European golfer has yet won an 18-hole singles match by more than a 5-and-4 margin.

Foursomes

The largest winning margin in an 18-hole foursomes match is 7 and 6, and Kite is once again involved. In the 1979 Ryder Cup, Kite and partner Hale Irwin won by that score over Ken Brown and Des Smyth.

The 7-and-6 score has been achieved twice more since then. In the 1991 Ryder Cup, Mark O'Meara and Paul Azinger won by that score over Nick Faldo and David Gilford; and in the 2012 Ryder Cup, Keegan Bradley/Phil Mickelson defeated Luke Donald/Lee Westwood, 7 and 6.

The biggest winning foursomes margin by any European side is 7 and 5, achieved twice so far. The teams were Jose Rivero/Jose Maria Canizares (over Kite/Calvin Peete) in 1985; and Woosnam/Bernhard Langer (over Azinger/Payne Stewart) in 1993.

Fourballs

The score of 7 and 5 is the biggest blowout in the Ryder Cup history of the fourball format, achieved just once so far. That was in the 1981 Ryder Cup, when Lee Trevino and Jerry Pate teamed to dispatch Faldo and Sam Torrance by that score. The European record for fourball winning margin is 6 and 5, achieved multiple times.

What About 36-Hole Matches?

The fourball format was added to the Ryder Cup in 1963, after the competition had switched to 18-hole matches. Therefore, no 36-hole fourballs have ever been played. But 36-hole foursomes and 36-hole singles matches were played prior to 1961. In fact, they were standard through that point.

Biggest winning margin in 36-hole singles match: 10-and-8 by George Duncan over Walter Hagen in the 1929 Ryder Cup.

Biggest winning margin in 36-hole foursomes match: 10-and-9, first by Denny Shute/Hagen over Duncan/Arthur Havers in the 1931 Ryder Cup; then by Lew Worsham/Ed Oliver over Henry Cotton/Arthur Lees in the 1947 Ryder Cup.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What a fucking shitshow.

And this is just fucking embarassing. #1 player in the world and a 5 time major winner. Way to go, fellas.

Screenshot_20230930_071519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d296e313c2bc312bc7efc5e9357a3ec7.jpg

I mean, I never thought we were going to win but I didn't think it would be THIS bad. 

Cantlay always seemed like a cunt. Now I'm sure of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, pops said:

Burns is an idiot. 

So apparently that response was due to a fan yelling "get a haircut."

And Cantlay can EABOD if he's bitching about not getting paid for the RC. The Euros know what an honor it is to make the team. It's a career highlight for many. It's not like Patrick has to shell out a single dime for the week. Was he going to be entering the Fram Auto Filter Open in Rapid City, SD this week to make some money?

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What a fucking shitshow.

And this is just fucking embarassing. #1 player in the world and a 5 time major winner. Way to go, fellas.

Screenshot_20230930_071519_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d296e313c2bc312bc7efc5e9357a3ec7.jpg

I mean, I never thought we were going to win but I didn't think it would be THIS bad. 

I thought they got paid a little bit now.  I remember it being a thing with Tiger and Phil when it was in the UK and the UK government was trying to collect income tax on a percentage of their endorsement income.

Are they just not showing the Jordan-Justin four ball match outside of the occasional putt to spare the viewer from seeing an ugly tee shot or approach? It's a tie match now and yet we're seeing every shot from the matches where the US is comfortably up. Plus the oh-so-thrilling Captain's cart cam.

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Are they just not showing the Jordan-Justin four ball match outside of the occasional putt to spare the viewer from seeing an ugly tee shot or approach? It's a tie match now and yet we're seeing every shot from the matches where the US is comfortably up. Plus the oh-so-thrilling Captain's cart cam.

They are just mostly showing the matches that are nearly closed out because after that they’ll be showing all of the other two matches. 

edit: but also why you said. 

Edited by heso
  • Like 1

they are all a bunch of losers.  Rahm, Rory and Hovland are beating them all by themselves.  Those guys actually give a shit.  our guys are pre-madonnas who couldn't be bothered. Sure Americans win on tour due to the law of averages but they aren't necessarily the best golfers anymore when the chips are down.

How do you get your ass kicked for 30+ years straight just because you are playing in a different country?  because you don't give a shit and you wilt like a motherfucker.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they are all a bunch of losers.  Rahm, Rory and Hovland are beating them all by themselves.  Those guys actually give a shit.  our guys are pre-madonnas who couldn't be bothered. Sure Americans win on tour due to the law of averages but they aren't necessarily the best golfers anymore when the chips are down.

How do you get your ass kicked for 30+ years straight just because you are playing in a different country?  because you don't give a shit and you wilt like a motherfucker.

I mean this just isn't a very good US team. And on top of it ZJ doesn't seem to be making the best picks and Cantlay is being a fuckhead in the locker room. 

JT was a desperation selection and Cantlay should never be on the team again. We have a lot of guys with little experience, one of our best players doesn't play a regular Tour schedule, and some of our stars were in poor form coming in. 

And yes, we haven't played well in Europe in 30 years.

Our squad from last cup could have came over here and won this shit. These 12 guys never really had a shot. 

p.s. - saying they "don't care" is fucking bullshit. Maybe Cantlay's cunt face doesn't care and who knows what the fuck Koepka's psychopath ass actually cares about - but Scottie was crying after his match this morning. I promise you JT and Spieth care a lot. I promise you Homa cares.

Edited by ztejas