vehicle with "rebuilt title" ?

Sawbonz

Anyone have any experience with this? I have an employee that buys cars in online auctions for personal use and to flip. The ones he buys are "rebuilt titles" which my limited research means were in a bad enough wreck for the insurance company to declare total loss but someone has done repairs to make them safe for return to road. He recently got one that I am considering for my son. The Carfax report shows the date of the collision but no info other than right front damage, had to be towed, and no airbag deployed.  I have looked it over and driven it, it has lane assist and brake assist, back up camera, etc so many more safety features than the older cars I've looked at on FB marketplace, autotrader etc and at dealers.  Drives well and no shimmy at high speeds and only 70K miles for a 2020 vehicle.

Questions 

If you've purchased one or more of these what was your experience?

He's selling it for 2K under the carfax "fair market" and I assume the carfax value accounts for the rebuilt title status is that correct?

Is it likely that any structural damage remains that the repair shop patched over enough to pass the required certification?

Should I and where would I take it for an independent evaluation, and what would that likely cost?

What's the cost of it? In another lifetime someone close to me bought a rebuilt title cheap sedan off Craigslist for like $3k. Likely would have been twice that for a conventional car. It had no issues.

For a cheap beater car, I'd consider it. Anything nice, I wouldn't. Given the accessories you're talking, I'm guessing this car is a bit more.

I've looked at them before as in Houston there are some car lots that specialize in buying in auctions and fixing up enough to sell. Despite the price I've never pulled the trigger as I've always been concerned about what's not known. A crappy repair to the safety or structure of the vehicle or a flood car that will have electrical issues soon enough isn't worth a few grand savings.

Two things I've heard - make sure your insurance company will actual cover the vehicle. Some will, some won't. Also know that some dealers won't take them as trade-ins or will completely low ball you knowing they will be sending to auction will little expected return value.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Two things I've heard - make sure your insurance company will actual cover the vehicle. Some will, some won't.

This is correct.  Many carriers will not offer Comp/Coll until the reported damage is repaired and inspected by the state.

Back in my day there used to be 4 categories of a rebuilt title.  We automatically totaled many cars with torn frames and label as Non-Repairable to the state.  Bent frames could be repaired though. Some were cosmetic totals like hail.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully someone who pulled the trigger will post. I know it's anecdotal but still.

My understanding is to get the "rebuilt" title in Texas it has to pass some type of state mandated safety inspection. Car is about half price compared to what I've seen for "clean title" comps online and  2K or more off comps with "rebuilt titles" and is below what many of the 10 yo cars I'm looking at are going for. Those cars have none of the crash deterrent tech, plus you have to deal with aging of parts, high mileage wear and tear etc

Will definitely check w insurance but I will only be getting liability for it so hoping it won't be an issue

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully someone who pulled the trigger will post. I know it's anecdotal but still.

My understanding is to get the "rebuilt" title in Texas it has to pass some type of state mandated safety inspection. Car is about half price compared to what I've seen for "clean title" comps online and  2K or more off comps with "rebuilt titles" and is below what many of the 10 yo cars I'm looking at are going for. Those cars have none of the crash deterrent tech, plus you have to deal with aging of parts, high mileage wear and tear etc

Will definitely check w insurance but I will only be getting liability for it so hoping it won't be an issue

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/title-check-look-before-you-buy/rebuilt

Check the above link from Texas DMV and may want to google subject for further info.

I purchased a Honda CRX with a rebuilt title many years ago.    It had been rebuilt by the owner of an Auto Repair Shop that I fully trusted.   It had a current registration and inspection.   

Advice is to be cautious.   Definitely have the frame inspected.   Since the seller is your employee,  somewhat of an unusual situation.   You may want to ask him for references from his previous customers and for a limited type warranty if you think appropriate without affecting your relationship.   Also,  it may be possible to obtain more info on the accident and actual damage/repair.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, torre said:

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/title-check-look-before-you-buy/rebuilt

Check the above link from Texas DMV and may want to google subject for further info.

I purchased a Honda CRX with a rebuilt title many years ago.    It had been rebuilt by the owner of an Auto Repair Shop that I fully trusted.   It had a current registration and inspection.   

Advice is to be cautious.   Definitely have the frame inspected.   Since the seller is your employee,  somewhat of an unusual situation.   You may want to ask him for references from his previous customers and for a limited type warranty if you think appropriate without affecting your relationship.   Also,  it may be possible to obtain more info on the accident and actual damage/repair.

Thanks this is very helpful. Did you discover any problems down the road w the CRX? 

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Thanks this is very helpful. Did you discover any problems down the road w the CRX? 

None at all.    I drove it for at least 5 years and probably close to 100K.    I sold it to a father for his son at minimal value.

I really don't know,  but do some research on value of vehicles with salvage titles.   Only 2K under market value may be a little high,  I don't really know.  May want to check KBB and Edmunds to see if any info on salvage title.   But do try to get more info on the actual damage and repair.   The fact the airbags did not deploy is a good sign,  though there may have been extensive/expensive damage to warrant the salvage determination.   Or perhaps the owner received a favor from the insurance agent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, torre said:

None at all.    I drove it for at least 5 years and probably close to 100K.    I sold it to a father for his son at minimal value.

I really don't know,  but do some research on value of vehicles with salvage titles.   Only 2K under market value may be a little high,  I don't really know.  May want to check KBB and Edmunds to see if any info on salvage title.   But do try to get more info on the actual damage and repair.   The fact the airbags did not deploy is a good sign,  though there may have been extensive/expensive damage to warrant the salvage determination.   Or perhaps the owner received a favor from the insurance agent.

That’s about what I would hope to get out of it for my son. 

It’s about half the price of comparable vehicles with a “clean title“. Carfax actually gives a market value for a “rebuilt title“. Also the comps I saw online labeled as rebuilt title were all 2 to 3000 more than this one and the Carfax market value on their VIN report is 2K higher 

• Hook 'Em 1

I bought a cheap cash car (suv) that had a rebuilt title. Mechanically things worked ok but other stuff was a little off. Example: when you would shut the driver side door it didn’t fit flush. Plus other little things. 

It was only needed for short term use. When I tried to trade it in at a dealer they wouldn’t take it because of the title. 

Also try googling the VIN number. Sometimes you can see the damage on the website where it was auctioned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-to-get-a-salvage-title-removed

During such an inspection, a salvage inspector is assigned to assess the salvaged vehicle. During the partial inspection, the inspector will primarily inspect the Vehicle Identification Number and odometer reading as a part of the application. The inspector also examines the vehicle’s exterior to verify the vehicle model, year, make, and color of the car with the supporting documents. 

Certain salvaged vehicles which do not have appropriate documents, such as the Vehicle Identification Number, go through the entire inspection process. This process includes a full inspection of the major components that have been repaired or restored as a part of the rebuilding process. 

Does this sound like a thorough inspection by a SME?

I wouldn’t trust one unless I could verify what the damage was myself and have a mechanic that understands that damage on that vehicle give it a look and not see a problem. 

i would never think about one that was salvaged for bent frame or flood damage. 

Thanks for the replies esp the recommendation to google the vin. First hit was from the original salvage auction. Looks like all front end damage. Doesn’t look bad from pics but ? maybe axle / frame. I am going to have the frame checked out and ask my insurance agent if it is insurable.

Car is a Kia optima. 70k is high mileage for a 2020 but at the price point Toyota or Mazda etc is 8 -10 years old and over 120k miles

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'd be concerned that the air bags didn't go off in a front end accident of a totaled car.

If someone hit the car while it was parked, bags wouldn’t deploy.

Also one other thing to consider if you can’t or won’t get comprehensive/collision, if he totals it you’ll get nothing for it and be out pretty much everything you paid. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've purchased an 2011 F150 with salvage title for my son when He was first driving. As long as you can get insurance to cover this is a good way to go for first vehicle it was very low mileage and repairs seemed good. It is actually still in the family and going strong.      

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/23/2023 at 11:12 AM, Sawbonz said:

Anyone have any experience with this? I have an employee that buys cars in online auctions for personal use and to flip. The ones he buys are "rebuilt titles" which my limited research means were in a bad enough wreck for the insurance company to declare total loss but someone has done repairs to make them safe for return to road. He recently got one that I am considering for my son. The Carfax report shows the date of the collision but no info other than right front damage, had to be towed, and no airbag deployed.  I have looked it over and driven it, it has lane assist and brake assist, back up camera, etc so many more safety features than the older cars I've looked at on FB marketplace, autotrader etc and at dealers.  Drives well and no shimmy at high speeds and only 70K miles for a 2020 vehicle.

Questions 

If you've purchased one or more of these what was your experience?

He's selling it for 2K under the carfax "fair market" and I assume the carfax value accounts for the rebuilt title status is that correct?

Is it likely that any structural damage remains that the repair shop patched over enough to pass the required certification?

Should I and where would I take it for an independent evaluation, and what would that likely cost?

There should be a 30% reduction in price at a minimum due to a rebuilt car. Just remember he bought this to make a profit which means the car is "safe enough".

Edited by Clintonaldo

We bought our daughters a 2013 VW Jetta almost three years ago that had been wrecked for a good price and had less than 50,000 miles on it. It had been purchased by a used car dealer that that is all they did - buy repairable cars even though totaled - and had them fixed. We still have it and just drove with the older one to drop her off out of state for college and she'll be using it. No problems insuring it and kept full coverage (not Texas). With used car prices right now, we could probably sell it for what we paid.