India lands its Chandrayaan-3 on the moon

Zeus

You know it's been a wild week when someone landing something on the moon is largely forgotten about.  Congrats to them, it's a hell of a technical accomplishment and no doubt a big point of pride for their country. 

I am a bit concerned, because the last time I saw an Indian dude in space it was in Star Trek IV (might have to do with under representation) and he was busy trying to deploy solar sails in the face of the aliens that were causing chaos due to whale extinction.  I'm checking Price Line on air fare to Seattle so I can go whale watching, clearly the clock is ticking.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I think it is pretty cool what they have accomplished, and the landing video was damn cool.

Russia had the world's first lander make a soft landing on the moon in 1966.

Over 50 years later, India is doing it competently while the Russians are taking shortcuts and smashing their landers into pieces.

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Japan is next up to the plate in a couple of days.

https://www.space.com/moon-sniper-slim-japan-launch-august-2023

Russia has a couple of more landers in the pipeline, wonder if we can alternate between Russia crashing a lander, followed by somebody landing their first one on the moon, followed by Russia crashing a lander.